To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Cannot Uninstall BitComet - Please Help!

I have been using Bit Comet for awhile now but have always had problems with it. When I accessed it yesterday I got a malware message, unfortunately it disappeared before I could read it all. Only info. I saw was " ..... something .... bit comet. I have been trying to uninstall the program and it gets so far and then won't go any further. Can someone please tell me how to get it to fully uninstall because it is screwing up my other programmes. Thank you in advance.

I don't think the problem is bitcomet, you may have some malware infection, or you may have some anti-malware program thats incorrectly identified something related to bitcomet, but if you want to remove bitcomet, then run the uninstall program. If you have a third party program blocking access to bitcomet's files, then you might need to start windows in safemode to complete the uninstall, but the proper thing to do is correct the problem within your anti-malware program (assuming that's the cause).

BitComet does not "deeply" install itself, that is, it does not make additions to the registry, or replace .dll's in the bowels of Windows or anything like that. It's about as simple and straightforward as an installation gets. Indeed, if you simply delete the program file directory, you've done most of it. The rest is simply removing the association with .torrent files. While there may be some residue elsewhere, depending on your version of Windows (which you didn't mention), this is harmless and won't affect anything else.

That means your problem is most likely to be elsewhere, and that BitComet is just another victim of the real problem, rather than any cause of it. From your description, it sounds like you have a system infection, which you will need to root out before you do much of anything else.