To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Is downloading the emule plugin really worth it?

Hello to everyone, this my first post ever, so I apologize if i offend anyone. I am new to BitComet, I used to use uTorrent but heard bitcomet is faster. It turns out, I heard right, but I was wondering is the emule plugin worth me downloading it. I wasn't getting great speeds, so I went to canuseeme.com, turns out the listening port was off. I followed the tutorial and now it works great. I am using BitComet version 1.27. I have my desktop hooked up to my landlord's wireless router, he lives next to me. I'm getting download speeds up to around 400 kb, average download would be in the mid 200's. I'm mot complaing about the speeds i'm getting now, but if the plugin would get it going faster, that would be awesome. Could anyone tellme? Thanks and have a great day.

ps- what should i set my upload speed to? What would be a good dl/ul ratio? thanx

The emule plugin isn't there for speed's sake.

In the event that the torrent you are downloading is also available on the eDonkey network(s), the plugin will attempt to download part of it from there. This can improve the probability of the torrent finishing, if availability via bittorrent is impaired. This may help your speed in terms of "finishing faster", but bittorrent and eDonkey share the available bandwidth. The plugin doesn't somehow increase your bandwidth.

So if you've got unused bandwidth, and the material is available on eDonkey, then you may see a small speed increase.

You also need to consider that your landlord won't be happy if your using all his bandwidth and he is unable to use the internet, so if you want to avoid upsetting him, you might want to limit your download and upload to half of your tested max speed. Naturally this will greatly effect your performance, but if I was your landlord and you were using all my bandwidth, I'd disconnect you.

ps. as mentioned, the emule plugin is a handy tool, but it's primary purpose isn't to speed up the downloads, its to find resources that aren't available on the torrent task your downloading. In some cases it can help you finish an unseeded torrent and in turn upload to the rest of the swarm, therefore saving a dead torrent.

Thanks guys for the feed back, it definently helped me out. I didn't even think about using all the bandwidth up. I can see how that would upset someone, I don't want to do that, even though he is a bit of an ***hole, i'd just assume avoid future problems, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I suppose at this point I will stop my quest for greater speeds. Thanx again