To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Downloaded newer version of Comet Missing previous downloads

Sam704

Comet version 1.07, Windows Vista

I upgraded Comet to Version 1.07 and when I open the new program, all the files that I was previously in the middle of downloading are not being downloaded anymore. The files are still in the default directory, just can't see them on the Bitcomet download page.

Is there something I need to change in the new program

I have changed the default directory.

Tks/Sam704

That's because bitcomet now uses the %AppData% folder instead of the installation folder, so all your settings and tasks are still there. You need to go to Options/Advanced/ and change system.use_app_data from true to false and then restart BitComet.

The following path: Options/Advanced/ and change system.use_app_data from true to false, is not listed.

The only true/false paths are:

bittorrent,enable_p2pcache - True

bittorrent.hash_check_thread_low_priority - True

bittorrent.hash_check_on_finished - false

network.enable arp protection - True

You're using a version of bitcomet that is 21 versions out of date, you have not provided all the info requested of you, you made no mention of the previous version you were using before, so it is difficult to help you.

The option for system using appdata is present in newer versions, perhaps you should try updating.

also, before we continue to try to guess at what you may need, provide all the info asked of you, and we'll have a chance at sorting out your problem.

OK I have upgraded my BitComet to 1.28 Stable Release 64 bit.

I use high speed extreme dsl cable for my internet connections.

Windows Vista, Cisco Router

I changed the options/advance file system.use_app_data to False. I have closed and reopend my bitcomet program, but the files are still not there.

you made no mention of the previous version you were using before

Without knowing the previous version, we can't know how your previous tasks were saved, but if you want an answer you can deal with and resolve this now, just simply restart all your torrents. As long as your download location setting is correct, bitcomet will see the partial or complete files and recheck (rehash) them, then the task/s will continue from their previous levels.

I upgraded Comet to Version 1.07

How could your previous version be 1.07 if you upgraded "to" 1.07?

Regardles, you said "just simply restart all your torrents" exactly how do I do this.

Open the torrents just like you did the first time.

NO...I upgraded to 1.28

Previously sent:

OK I have upgraded my BitComet to 1.28 Stable Release 64 bit.

I use high speed extreme dsl cable for my internet connections.

Windows Vista, Cisco Router

I changed the options/advance file system.use_app_data to False. I have closed and reopend my bitcomet program, but the files are still not there.

You need to be clear about this... from what you report,

sequence of events.

user is using bitcomet version ?.?? and all is well.

user updates to version 1.07 and tasks dissappear.

user advised to turn off "sys use app data", but option doesn't exist in 1.07.

user updates to 1.28, turns off "sys use app data" without success.

Tech needs to know what version he was using before this begun.

No clear answer received.

Also, to clarify on my previous suggestion. If you want to be done with this problem, make sure your previous downloads are in your default folder, then...

Open each torrent just like you were downloading them, if the files are already there, bitcomet will prompt you to rehash (recheck) them, then after this is complete, the task will be present in bitcomet.

Do this with all tasks and you're done.

The only other way we can possibly help you is to know what version successfully saved your tasks.

I upgraded Comet to Version 1.07 and when I open the new program, all the files that I was previously in the middle of downloading are not being downloaded anymore.

According to what you told us, you updated TO version 1.07, and this NEW PROGRAM didn't show your tasks, so they obviously were saved by a prior version. Either that or your posting some very inaccurate info.

In any case, I told you how to rebuild your task list (three times), so please either do that, or provide a proper history of events of how this problem came about so we can make sense of it. Failure to do one of these two options and I'll have no choice but to close this support request.

Yes, I realize that I first said that I had upgraded to 1.07. Subsequently, I mentioned that the upgrade was to 1.28.

Now...

My previous software was 1.07

I upgraded to 1.28 (noted yesterday at 6:05)

The files I was downloaded or no longer there.

Can I retrive my "downloads that were in progress" before I upgraded, from a file on my computer, saved by BitComet.

Since this issue existed before you upgraded to 1.28, we cannot know the cause. You reported the problem prior to upgrading to 1.28, correct?

Now, for the fifth time... restart your tasks, because we have no idea which version successfully saved your tasks, and you could have had this fixed long ago.

YOU SAID:

According to what you told us, you updated TO version 1.07, and this NEW PROGRAM didn't show your tasks, so they obviously were saved by a prior version. Either that or your posting some very inaccurate info.

What is wrong with you.

Or am I getting the emails mixed up as to the order.

I SAID: I started with version 1.07, there were NO PROBLEMS.

I upgraded from v1.07 to v1.28 and when I did that, the files I was downloading were not there.

Where would the files that I was in the process of downloading with v 1.07 be, so that I can add them to the task list in v1.28.

I MADE A MISTAKE WHEN I SAID THAT I HAD UPGRADED TO VER 1.07. WHICH WAS THE FIRST EMAIL!!!

The reason we are unable to follow you is things like this...

I upgraded to 1.28 (noted yesterday at 6:05)

Do you mean you upgraded to 1.28 yesterday, after we asked you to? because prior to that you said you had no option for "system use appdata", so you obviously weren't using 1.28, so the issue must have been present before you updated to 1.28.

You can see by this post...

The following path: Options/Advanced/ and change system.use_app_data from true to false, is not listed.

The only true/false paths are:

bittorrent,enable_p2pcache - True

bittorrent.hash_check_thread_low_priority - True

bittorrent.hash_check_on_finished - false

network.enable arp protection - True

That this problem existed prior to update to 1.28. The reason that option wasn't there is because it wasn't part of 1.07, and if (as you claim), the tasks were present and working in 1.07, then why did you come here and make the topic???

What is wrong with you.

One more statement like that and you won't be permitted to post here. All our staff volunteer our time to help you, and you keep providing contradictory data, and now you claim everything was working fine until you updated to 1.28, but the reason you updated was to fix the problem. This makes no sense at all, so I'd be well within my rights to ask whats wrong with you? but I'd never be so rude.

Now, I've used as much time as I'm willing in trying to find out where your task list is stored, especially since I gave you another alternative, so please do as I instructed you and restart your torrents, one at a time and be done with this.

Regardles, you said "just simply restart all your torrents" exactly how do I do this.

I shouldn't have to tell you how to start a torrent, if you don't know how to do that, then you must never have used bitcomet before, but here goes.

1. download or locate the file.torrent for the task you want to add.

2. Open torrent with bitcomet. After recheck, your task will be restored.

3. repeat until all tasks are restored.

I don't believe I've ever been mean, but here goes...

Your previous task/s, for example we'll call one of them "recent.movie.dvdrip.torrent" that you got from thepiratebay.org.

go to thepiratebay.org and do a search for "recent.movie.dvdrip" (substitute actual name of torrent you want to replace). When you find it, download the torrent and open it.

Or, you can go to your browsers default download folder where you initially downloaded these torrents and look for them there.

Or, you can try the following locations....

1. c:\program files\bitcomet\torrents

2. c:\users\(your account name)\appdata\roaming\bitcomet\torrents (this location is only used by windows versions Vista and Seven, previous versions will still be in %appdata%, but will be in a slightly different location.

3. c:\users\(your account name)\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files\bitcomet

The exact location depends on your windows version and user account control settings. You may also need to enable viewing of hidden and system files in order to view these folders.

Another option is to use windows search and look for "*.torrent" (without quotes). Make sure you enable searching hidden and system file/folders and it will probably find you have the torrents in both your browsers download folder, and bitcomets system folder.

Also, you can thank microsoft that the location of torrent files cannot be predicted by us. BitComet has traditionally stored them in c:\program files\bitcomet, however windows stopped allowing access to this folder and relocated them to the "virtual store" folder, however this caused massive problems for users who were changing versions and having tasks disappear, so a solution was implemented so that bitcomet now uses %appdata% to store the files by default.

In the future, it would make your life go much smoother if you were to direct your browser to save all your torrents in a specific location, then they would always be where YOU put them, not where your browser decided to put them. If you use Internet Explorer as your browser and select to allow it to "open" the torrents instead of "saving" them, then they will get saved in a hidden system folder, so it's far better to save them to a location of your choice.

Can not thank you enough for your very informative email. I found my torrents and performed a Hash check, which reinstated my movies.

Also, thanks for giving me information regarding files and BitComet, I have taken your advise and created a specific folder for my torrents, which will allow me to know where everything is.

Thanks again!

Sylvia