To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

jtawg

Hey everyone, my name is Jtawg and I'm a bitcomet newbie. I have been using this amazing site for a while, but didn't know that I "might" be breaking some protocol rules. I don't want to be a leecher. How can I become a good torrent member?

The short answer is look at your share ratio column and don't stop a task until the ratio is above 1.0, that means you've uploaded as much as you downloaded. If you want to do more, which I encourage you to do, keep them running longer. I rarely stop a torrent before it reaches 2.0, and some have uploaded several hundred times over.

Also, after you stop a task, it will become available for LTseeding. this is done only when there is sufficient bandwidth available, bittorrent tasks always have priority.

Thank you for the info. I was leaving files on the site after downloading them, but ran into hardrive space problems and so delete everything as soon as I've watched it. That is not purposely malicious on my part, it was simply out of necessity. How long should I leave files/movies after I've downloaded them on average to meet the share ratio?

• 2 months later...

Concerning what Jtawg is asking about, what is the difference between "ratio is above 1.0" and "share ratio equal to or higher than 200%" the default in Bitcomet. I try to let mine go until that 200% mark, but often times there is no one uploading certain files, what should I do then? I try to keep Bitcomet fairly clean so I can find what I want easier.

200% would be a share ratio of 2.0. If you stop a torrent before your ratio reaches 1.0, then you've taken more then you've given and a torrent cannot survive if users do that. 200% or 2.0 is a good minimum to keep because you're uploading twice what you download and helping to keep the torrent alive.

You can't upload if there is no one trying to download from you, and in that case all you can do is wait or give up. However, it doesn't cost you anything to leave the torrent seeding. A downloader may come along later.