To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

A couple question about new BitComet 1.31

PiZdrot

-Hello to all from Moscow,;-)

Yesterday I've installed a new last BitComet Version 1.31 (2011.12.12)

I used mutorrent before for the last 3 years.

BitComet is much better for me and my comp. More speedy...

Here some details about me in advance.

I have read this

http://www.cometforums.com/forum-5/announcement-1-read-this-before-posting

1. I have direct optical fiber Internet connection - 50 mb. No routers

2. I do not have Firewall and Antivirus

3. Windows XP + SP3.

So, I have two simple questions.

1. Why for all downloaded movies are not possible the preview footage?

I've downloaded a few movies .AVI/.MKV for the last 2 days,... as you can see in the list, there are possible preview only for one movie. Why so..? absolutely can not understandю

thumb_442ab0e54171c03c51e2497139050e9d.png

2. Why I have permanent message like this? I do not have Firewall, proxy and Antivirusю What does it means?

See details below...

b07b7ba835405afa7b9b736f925194d6.png

Thanx in advance for your kind quick reply and help.

Edited by PiZdrot (see edit history)

Connecting to the internet without a firewall is extremely foolish and very dangerous. Fortunately for you though, you do appear to have a firewall, whether you know about it or not. You are getting message #2 because you are firewalled and have not configured it properly.

If you do manage to connect without a firewall, you can be infected and taken over in less time than you need to take a shower. You will not necessarily even notice this has happened, but your computer becomes a sender of spam and a participant in DDOS attacks. Any/all of your personal information may be compromised and used for identity theft. This is why the windows firewall is enabled by default. You need a firewall.

Connecting to the internet without a firewall is extremely foolish and very dangerous

When I received a problem #2, I've immediately delete ESET Smart Security 4 with a firewall - which I had for the last 5-6 years, do not feel fear for me, everything is OK. ESET Smart Security 4 has been deleted to be sure, that ESET is not the reason of my problem 2. Capito? =))

So, the situation with ESET now clear as a good day. ESET is not a reason.

I'll give it back within next 2 days upon clear the problem...

I haven't others firewalls in my electronic brain/computer for now;))

Waiting for the clear reply to my problems.

Thanx.

By the way. I don't have problems with torrent downloading or anything else with BitComet Version 1.31. I have problem No. 2, but everything is OK about any kind of downloading. Speed also is OK!

A message just annoys me...

#1 Snapshots are loaded by other BitComet clients which have already downloaded a certain torrent containing a video file.

If no other BitComet client has already downloaded a certain torrent (containing video files) or if the option to upload snapshots is disabled in those BitComet clients which have downloaded the torrent or if the torrent contains archived video content or any other file types, then there WON'T be any snapshots for that torrent.

#2 Whether you believe it or not, a firewall seems to be standing between you and the Internet. You can choose to remain in denial (if you feel happy and comfortable that way) or you can choose to investigate that and see what you discover. Whatever suits you better.

#1 Snapshots are loaded by other BitComet clients which have already downloaded
It is the the same my client new BitComet 1.31 with Russian language. I forgot change to English.

About screen 2 - I've changed language to English for your clear understanding.

If no other BitComet client has already downloaded a certain torrent (containing video files) or if the option to upload snapshots is disabled in those BitComet clients which have downloaded the torrent or if the torrent contains archived video content or any other file types, then there WON'T be any snapshots for that torrent.

A little bit understood but not of all. =(

Should I check this box to making movie's screen-shots for others people with BitComet client? Isn't it? =)

thumb_09d1dac72e1ac1a75e97caad888c685f.png

#2 Whether you believe it or not, a firewall seems to be standing between you and the Internet.

Negative. I haven't firewall.

For example. Last 3 years I've used mTorrent 1.82/2.0 and haven't such messages. Never...

I have direct optical fiber Internet connection only. No routers. No firewall.

May be some kind of mistake inside of BitComet's IP Filter? I've checked, it seems like my IP. =))

thumb_be7e1b7c5940f7fd432bb6ec1b7ce536.png

We have a wiki related to the yellow light issue, you may check it HERE

Thank you.. I'm going to read.,.. :)

==================================================

By the way.. I forgot about wwdc.exe. I closed some ports with help of wwdc.exe. Green = ports closed.

Could it be the reason of problem No.2?

thumb_2d7e641b15f99a252131ea02d03c080c.png

I've never seen a fiber-optic broadband service that didn't include a router installed by the ISP. All routers have firewalls and even if disabled, you still have network address translation, so any incoming connections will be addressed to your internet "WAN" ip address, not your local "LAN" ip address. If you open a command prompt and type "ipconfig" and hit enter, then scroll up, look for "IP address" (winXP and prior) or "IPv4" (Vista and later). If this matches your WAN IP address, then you have no router, if it has a different number, perhaps beginning with "192.168.xxx.xxx", then you have a router and need to setup portforwarding so your router knows to send incoming connections on your specific port to this computer.

There is usually an option in the routers setup called "DMZ", which if enabled will forward all unknown traffic to a specific computer, but this is a risky way to operate, you're far better to setup portforwarding.

Well, the situation is clear for me now

I've used this:

P2P Port Test

Checks ports for many popular P2P protocols

http://www.whatsmyip.org/port-scanner/

And got this.

thumb_3072660d71e3419cace0c508cfe79ed7.png

So, I think BitComet is not OK for me, because BitComet needs an additional ports, which are blocked by my provider. Am I right? =))

Today I was told that I need uTorrent or similar, cause they do not using an additional ports...

No, you are not correct. Bitcomet needs only one port open for bittorrent to work properly, just like utorrent.

You also either didn't read my last reply, or disregarded it, and your reply is nonsense, I highly doubt any fiber optic broadband provider is blocking all your ports, you need to fix the settings on your LAN, but you seem to have no idea what we are talking about so instead of reading/learning, you replied with nonsense.

Your PC or routers firewall/s are blocking your ports because that is their job. It's the network administrators job to open ports if there is a specific reason to do so, and in this case that person is YOU, so open the proper port and all will be fine.

We can't tell you how to open a port on your equipment because we don't know what equipment your using, you haven't told us, and it appears you don't even know what your using, so there really isn't much we can do for you.

The first step would be to figure out how your connecting to the internet, you can't plug a fiber optic cable directly into a PC, you need at very least a modem, but like I said before, I've never seen one that didn't also use a router.

• 3 weeks later...

Open a command prompt and type "ipconfig" and press "enter". When it posts, look for your "IP address". It should be similar to this... "212.41.32.xxx" (last digits removed to protect your privacy).

If it reads something completely different, such as "192.168.1.xxx", then you are using a router and you need to figure out what kind and set it up properly.