To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to make this client to move only completed jobs from Tag folder?

Long and strange name ^_^

For several years I have used uTorrent and now using BitComet (x64, 1.34). Have a question about Tags, folders and unfinished jobs.

uT can move unfinished jobs to special Tags folders (I have many) only after completion of the jobs. Now on BC I have this settings:

post-113970-0-76737900-1351046383.png

And when I add torrent-file and selecting for it a Tag (and a folder, suppose), BC asks me whether he should to move a data to a tag-folder? I say yes and he does it immediately, so I can see in that folder an unfinished jobs :o

How I have to change the settings to avoid this? I want the program to use G:\T-Temp folder for all unfinished jobs regardless of their tags. For example I have a tag MUS and this tag have a folder G:\T-Downloaded\MUS.

Yep, but what's he's asking is basically advertised by the interface except it's not doing it that way.

I.e. the interface says "Move completed jobs..."

I believe this is a bug which propagated because the feature to move completed jobs was introduced after the one which allowed to move task contents to different folders based on tags.

It's just that not many users wanted what he wants so far; that's why not may people caught this bug before, probably.

Thx for the answers. But I have another problem. It is impossible to turn off hash check after the job completion. I had read about it, that it's a bug, so OK.

But I am concerned about deleting torrent files (*.torrent). For example, I have a folder for saving a downloaded torrent files and when I added all torrents to client - I delete them immediately. So when job is done, client will start a hash check and will say - fail to open a torrent file. How to avoid this?

uT stores incomplete torrent-files in one folder and completed in another, so I can delete t-files right after adding them (from add-folder).

I just got more than 1 TB of data to upload (to keep my rating) and + what I will download, so totally is up to 1,5 TB or more and 10 tags (and folders), so it's a little hard now.

But BC don't have any problem with upload speed limit (uT 2.x and 3.x has it), also thx to 64-bit I can let to this client use many RAM (6+ GB) for disk operations (cache) and it helps in my situtation.

Why would you want to delete the torrent file immediately? The client needs the file in order to do the hash check and you won't be able to seed your files without it. Please retain the torrent file at least until you remove the task from the client.

I can't really agree, Wiz, that the IF says it will deliver that, or that it can be clearly classed as a bug. Say rather that they are alternative ways of moving files, and lemondeal wants them to be complimentary.

Why can't you agree? :unsure:

As you can see in his screenshot (or on the Options page) the "Move to tag folder if task has tag" is indented which clearly indicates that it's a sub-option (a child if you will) of the master "Move completed downloads to:".

Therefore the word of order for both options is "move completed downloads" not downloads which are in any way pending completion.

If the second option was on the same indent level as the first one I could agree with you, but then both would have to use a radio button instead of a checkbox as they would compete with each other (since they are mutually exclusive).

The entire screen is pre-empted by the OTHER option, which is to set the default save directory for files with a given tag. You can EITHER engage in this dialogue to move finished files, or you can drop down to the tags dialogue and set the save directory per tag. Nothing promises you can do both.

That probably could have been better thought out, but it probably "jist growed" since the features weren't added at the same time, as you mentioned, so likely nobody looked at the whole process.

Either way, that does need to be done, the whole process considered and not just the band-aid suggested.The underlying conflict needs to be resolved. A redesign is required.

Now I'm understand about move to folder etc. - If I will select yes (move to tag-filder) - BC will immediately move unfinished job to a tag-folder. I need to select No, and thereby BC will move files only after the completion of this job. Is it possible to disable this window (with question move or not)?

The UnUsual Suspect

>Why would you want to delete the torrent file immediately?

To avoid confusion. Sometimes I can add a dozens of torrents and after some period of time I can add another dozens (to review and verify the downloaded jobs I can after one month or even two). So as soon as I will add torrent files, it would be nice if they could be immediately removed without any consequences. Can this client to move torrent-files to another folder (as uT)? Or is there some other solution?

The torrent file is needed during the download, even if you delete the original you downloaded, there is a redundant copy used by the client until you remove the task. It would be a far better idea to keep your torrents though, if you want to keep track of which ones you've downloaded, then move them to a different folder after you've used them. Keeping them is a VERY good idea. Imagine if one of your files becomes corrupt due to a bad sector on your harddrive, if you have the original torrent, you can rehash the file that is corrupt and you may only need to redownload one small piece of data to repair a large file, so a multiple gigabyte file could be saved by downloading less then 1mb, but you cannot do this without the torrent. Torrent files are very small, so there isn't any issue with wasted space.

Another reason to keep them is so you can reseed the tasks.