To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

isoHunt folded, will the rest follow?

Johanneke1963

This week l read that isoHunt has shut down after their struggle, and signed a $110 million settlement with the MPAA. lf a big fish like l.H. can be mowed down, what are the chances that the others will share the same fate in the near future? :unsure:

ISO Hunt was unusual as they were operating in plain sight where they were under the jurisdiction of the USA court system. Most popular torrent sites host in countries that don't answer to usa courts so the only thing the mpaa can do is put pressure on politicians to put diplomatic pressure on the companies who host the websites. In most cases the hosts warn the customers before the site's are taken down so they are back up and running in a different country within minutes of the "take-down". Luckily there are plenty of countries hosting websites and we've seen torrent sites come and go, but there are always several new ones that pop up everytime one goes down.

In my opinion the movie industry made a huge fatal mistake when the internet came into the picture. They had the opportunity to get free production and distribution of their products, but their greed created the p2p revolution. When hollywood sold VHS or DVDs for $12-15 each, half the money went to retailers and transportation, yet more went to production and after all these costs they were lucky to make $1-2 on each disc sold, but with internet distribution there was no production costs, no transportation, no raw materials, no limits on how fast they can produce, no risk of over/under production and they could have sold the movies for $1 each for digital download, but instead they wanted to charge the same price as if you were buying the disc... obviously no one was stupid enough to fall for that so they lost out. Now they are like crybabies because they can't get what they want. If they sold movies for $1, I'd buy them and I'm sure many people would buy hundreds of movies every year instead of just a few discs each year. The gross profit would be huge for them and there will still be people buying their discs so there would be no downside. It's just amazing they can't see this and think the answer is to spend money on courts, lawyers and politicians in a futile effort to profiteer from digital distribution. They will only cause people to dislike them. In america one thing people hate even more than politicians are the movie and recording industry.

• Like 1

Ah, okay! Yep, well, it all sounds very familiar: greed and smallmindedness (is that even a word?) the root of many evil. Here in Holland it's Buma-Stemra (musicbiz) that's causing a lot of aggravation. You would think they'd be a little more flexible after making tons of money, but l guess it'll never be enough for some.. Thanks for the reply! Jeanette ~: )

i'm not very computer literate but what other sites are there that are as good as bitcomet for downloading movies and music-is there any going?

Errmm... BitComet is a downloading manager (program), not a torrent downloading site.

All you have todo is Google for whatever file(s) you're interested in and add the word torrent after... I'm sure that you'll have a fair amount of sites from which to choose.