To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Change in scoring?

Rhubarb

For some oddball reason, instead of my usual 120 points over a ten hour persiod last night I've managed to accumulate 220 which leads me to ask if there's another server glitch (I do know the online scoreboard was down for a while) or the scoring system has changed.

I'm not complaining - just curious. By the way, I've left the client running and it's still clocking up 2 points per hour, 11 hours after I started.

There was one instance where the ranking increased after a server failure but that was gradually whitled back over a few days but the actual scoring didn't get a boost.

In this case the ramking isn't being altered, just thye score

OK - now for a spot of useless info: instead of the stated 120 points max over 24 hours, I collected 224 of them (makes up for the ones I didn't get when the server was down :D )

Sweriosuly, I'd like to know whether this was just a glitch or the system has changed.

Looks like it was just a glitch (or something to do with the clock roll-back to GMT) as it's now back to 120 max score. Oh well, as I've said before, the scoring is all for fun anyway ;) :P

• Like 1

That happened once before but that was after a server failure when points wewren't scored. I went up a couple of thousand in the ranking but that gradfually got whittled back to the correct rank. I did hear that the No 1 spot actually went to -1 until it was fixed.

It looks btw as if the server is down yet again. This from the webpage:

Internal Server Error

SoapClient::SoapClient(http://member.bitcomet.com/webservice/wsdl): failed to open stream: Connection refused

An internal error occurred while the Web server was processing your request. Please contact the webmaster to report this problem.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll probably find that your ranking actually increased after the last server glitch and it has now reverted to what it was before that. It's not a big deal - ranking is purely subjective anyway and just a bit of fun.

All it does is tell you how many people are ahead of you in scoring (I wish it would tell you how many are behind you, but that's another matter) :D

• 5 weeks later...

No rush - I guessed something like that had happened (btw, my ranking slid even further back to about 9,500 LOL). The only reason really for posting is there will probably be a load of moans from people who think 'rank' is important (personally I couldn't care less).

What I do miss though is the 'personal score' on the website. I can't maintain a 24/7 connection or my ISP starts to throttle me back and the daily score was a good guide as to when I should disconnect and come back the next day

7 hours ago, admin said:

we are updating the score system recently, now accept login with username/password or email/password. the rank, unfortunately, may not be correct and i am working on it. 

Thank you for all the work you've been doing, and I'm sure in time all functionality will be restored. I can report that it's been working perfectly for me for the last several days, but other members in different areas have reported problems. It appears that you've moved the system from cometid.com over to members.bitcomet.com, the old cometid site is still online, but not displaying users stats.

http://www.cometid.com/accounts/score

It will be nice if the new site shows our daily score like the old one did. It really don't make any difference worth mentioning, but was still nice to be able to see how many points we earned each day and it seems many members like to follow their score closely and enjoy seeing it climb. It might also be nice if members could get spendable points to buy virtual items like custom forum titles, or anything you can come up with. Maybe you could use the cometID points to buy items in the games you develop?  it wouldn't interest me at all, but surely some members might show an interest in the games if they can use their  good deeds from seeding torrents to earn items in gameplay. In the meantime I will "unofficially" offer anyone of the rank "marshall" or higher a custom forum title, as long as it's not offensive and the requests don't become extremely numerous, since I'd have to manually edit each profile. For now I'll just do this for those who happen to find this offer in the forum, we'll call it an "easter egg".  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It happens Esco (server goes down) and nobody gains any points until someone on the maintenance team can restart it.

On a side note, there seems to be an attack on torrent sites that happened about the same time. isohunt was showing a 'security problem' for a while and  ettv was under DDOS attack (still down) so it's possible the comet server was also targeted

Edited by Rhubarbfian (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2017 at 4:46 AM, grelinho said:

Two days is accrued only 20 points a day!Regardless of the amount of data downloaded from me.

You get points for being online, and for data uploaded, not for downloads. The system is designed to reward those who share, and the max of 120 points per day was necessary to prevent any incentives for hackers to attempt to reverse engineer the system and cheat. I'm sure a really talented hacker could figure out a way to cheat, but it's hardly worth the effort since it's easy enough to reach the max of 120points per day. 

My 'technique' is dead simple. I run an hour at full data rate (to get the 1 GB upload) and then 9 hours at reduced rate to gain the extra 18 points. It's '18' because there were two 'hour' points from the initial burst. It's all done while I'm in bed. If there's a short term period when the server goes down, then I just stay on for a while longer (gotta love the 'scheduler')

• 2 weeks later...
On 1.02.2017 at 1:30 PM, The UnUsual Suspect said:

You get points for being online, and for data uploaded, not for downloads. The system is designed to reward those who share, and the max of 120 points per day was necessary to prevent any incentives for hackers to attempt to reverse engineer the system and cheat. I'm sure a really talented hacker could figure out a way to cheat, but it's hardly worth the effort since it's easy enough to reach the max of 120points per day. 

Hi.I know it all.I have almost 300 000 points! But for many days, I have great difficulty logging in to the server. Also many days accrued up to a maximum of 20 points per day, despite uppload. My daily upload is always larger than 1GB.