To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

The 1.44 version won't start

yyhstanley

I am currently using Win 10 home Edition 64bit with Windows Defender on.Somehow, it won't start.Nothing happnens after double click the exe file. Strangely however, the win9x.exe works ok! I've seachered the web but in vain. How can I get bitcomet running!

Thanks a lot!

On 2/21/2017 at 7:25 AM, yyhstanley said:

I am currently using Win 10 home Edition 64bit with Windows Defender on.Somehow, it won't start.Nothing happnens after double click the exe file. Strangely however, the win9x.exe works ok! I've seachered the web but in vain. How can I get bitcomet running!

Thanks a lot!

Are you trying to run a portable version of BitComet?

As far as I'm aware the win9x.exe file only exists in the portable (.zip) version. If you are trying to run the .zip version you'll have to run it as administrator, and run it from a folder that your user account has full permissions to use, or the easiest way to use bitcomet is to install it into your operating system which you cannot do with the .zip version. 

I can tell you that thousands, if not millions of users are running BitComet under Windows 10 including myself, and no one has reported a problem with it not installing.

On ‎2017‎年‎2‎月‎25‎日 at 10:36 AM, Rhubarb said:

Did you try a clean install?

Also, are you running the 'correct' version (64 or 32 bit)?

I think a brand new laptop is clean enough. Seems no(64 or 32 bit) is available after 1.40. And I tried from1.40 through 1.42 and amazingly 1.41 is the latest version that  runs properly.From 1.42 through 1.45 stays no response.

If you're running the downloaded version that contains a 'win9x' setup, you are running the portable version and that may be where your problem lies. Download and install the FULL version. Both 32 and 64 bit versions are available

I've been running 1.44 and 1.45 through various builds of Windows 10 from the original release and currently on the Release Candidate for Redmond 2 (due next month) with absolutely no problem (apart from disk boost service not working). Everything else works as it should.

As for 'clean install' - this is NOTHING to do with the age of the laptop or anything else. It simply means completely uninstall the current version using Revo and re-install it (Revo will remove any defunct registry entries relating to the original installation)

There is a major upgrade for Windows 10 due in a couple of weeks. At the moment it's on Release Candidate 2 and is on track for a mid-March release. It's a complete rebuild of the whole system so maybe you should hold off re-installing Bitcomet until that is done

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎年‎3‎月‎2‎日 at 6:21 PM, Rhubarb said:

There is a major upgrade for Windows 10 due in a couple of weeks. At the moment it's on Release Candidate 2 and is on track for a mid-March release. It's a complete rebuild of the whole system so maybe you should hold off re-installing Bitcomet until that is done

Many thanks! I have been following BC since version 0.56.Have to say it's the best p2p ever!!!