To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

.piece_part.bc! files are too big for keeping

Hi all! I'm using torrents mostly for music downloading.
And I encountered the problem that I dont wanna download all stuff (all covers, singles, compilations) - only main albums. BUT Bitcomet creates this freackinly big .piece_part.bc! files. For example downloaded files weight is 800mb and .bc! file is 328mb.

How can I solve this problem? I really like Bitcomet client, but I will be forced to change client cause of this "trash" files.

P.S. I read this topic, I understand why this files are created:
https://www.cometforums.com/topic/12795466-deleting-piece_partbc-will-make-complete-torrent-incomplete/

How much free space is left on your hard drive? It's possible that you are close to the limit.

Also, have you run a disk check for lost clusters and cleared the \temp folder)s)? Either of those can cause that problem.

2 hours ago, Rhubarb said:

How much free space is left on your hard drive? It's possible that you are close to the limit.

Also, have you run a disk check for lost clusters and cleared the \temp folder)s)? Either of those can cause that problem.

5-10% (like 120-200 Gb from 2 Tb). No, I didnt run check or didnt clear temp folders.

I cant see how it can be related. Cause there is only problem with BitComet. It lefts this big hidden .bc! files. Even for reasons indicated in Wiki it cant be right. Other torrent clients doesnt do such things.

Any torrent client that allows you to disable files does it the same way, but some hide these files. 

Also, when you disable small files you still have to download them in order to get the data you want so it's pointless to disable them. The only time I'd recommend using this option is if you wanted just one album from a large collection of albums, or just a single song from an album. As long as you download torrents this will not change because you aen't downloading separate files, you are downloading bittorrent pieces, some pieces are just a small part of a large file and some pieces could contain many small files along with part of a larger one. Depending on the "piece size" the torrent's author chose, each piece could be large or small and there are advantages to both. On a large torrent you often must use large piece sizes to keep the torrent file small enough so all clients can open it. Also, if you delete these "part" pieces you will no longer be able to upload the torrent. 

I tried different clients yesterday. Some of them dont create such files, but recreate all folders, even if I didnt check them (this is so annoying).

BitTorrent creates .dat files, but they are small in comparison to BitComet .!bc files (like 1.4Gb .!bc vs. ~200Mb .dat). I wonder why honestly, I liked BitComet much more than BitTorrent till I learned this fact.

And one more question. If in torrent some small files has changed, will BitComet still seed other files or will it stop seeding this torrent entirely?

some create hidden files you cannot see, some create several of these files,one in each folder and others put all the data into one file, but the size of the data is dictated by thrrent and the files that are disabled. There is no way to download thefiles you request without downloading the unwanted pieces of other files that are in a piece you need. For example, if a piece is 5mb in size and you only need one byte from it, the full piece must still be downloaded. Or if someone downloads a 600mb torrent with 5mb pieces and disables a 50kb..nfo file, that file is still downloaded and put in one of these files. Frankly this is the most misused option, not only in bitcomet but in all clients. Disabling files was never an option when the protocol was designed and there was no easy way to do it. Also many of the files are there for a reason, and those who skip them are often the reason so many torrents fail at 9x.x%. It would be helpful to all if this option was removed, but it comes in handy in cases where you need only one episode of a television series and the only active torrent you can find is for the whole season, or the only place you can find a specific album is in an entire discography.