To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Disk usage 100%

So basically I added a 1TB HDD to my pc to use only for BitComet. Downloaded 3 torrent. 1 x 50GB, 1x 35gb and 1x 10Gb torrent.

I have a 100Mbps download and upload fibre line. Torrents downloaded @ 12Mb/s which is very good as always. Now I left these torrents seeding and found it strange that they are only seeding @ like 800KB/s.

Noticed bitcomet is very slow to respond and see that when I check task manager BitComet is using the Disk at 100% and read speed of 85MB/s but everything is only seeding at less than 1MB/s so why is Bitcomet killing the Disk IO like that?

Task manager shows Network is only being used at 4Mbps aka 450KB/s upload but the disk with 3 torrent files is being killed by bitcomet.

Using bitcomet 1.49

There appears to be a misunderstanding here, between bits and Bytes. If bitcomet reports 12MB/s that is equal to 96mb/s, approx your max line speed. 1B=8b

Your upload is likely slower because few of the peers can take data from you as fast as you can upload and adding more peers means more work and you are overloading your hdd. In order to efficiently use your connection you would need a faster drive like an SSD, or you could increase your disc cache size to reduce stress on your hdd, assuming you have enough ram that you can dedicate to cache, or you can try seeding one torrent at a time.

16 hours ago, The UnUsual Suspect said:

There appears to be a misunderstanding here, between bits and Bytes. If bitcomet reports 12MB/s that is equal to 96mb/s, approx your max line speed. 1B=8b

Your upload is likely slower because few of the peers can take data from you as fast as you can upload and adding more peers means more work and you are overloading your hdd. In order to efficiently use your connection you would need a faster drive like an SSD, or you could increase your disc cache size to reduce stress on your hdd, assuming you have enough ram that you can dedicate to cache, or you can try seeding one torrent at a time.

Thank you for your reply. I assure you there is no confusion here. I know the difference between MB/s and Mbps. 100Mbps is give or take 12.5MB/s depending on TCP overhead.

I can assure you it's a bitcomet issue and I decided to test other client with the exact same 3 torrent seeding on the same hdd but not seeding the same time as each other. For the test I closed bitcomet and rehash checked the 3 torrents in qbitorrent.

I have attached it below. You can see my line is almost being maxed but the disk read is not being killed like in bitcomet.

My main drive is a CRUSIAL MX500 250GB SSD and it's still being overworked. Disk read speeds on the the SSD of 190MB/s Not sure why bitcomet is reading so many pieces of the same file at the same time. I have 16Gb RAM. Increased the cache to 6GB and that 6GB got eaten up so quickly then uploads slowed to a crawl again.

My main question is why is bitcomet doing it but others like Deluge and qBittorrent not.....

Always been a fan of bitcomet but never had this problem before....

I'm going to downgrade and see if I still get the same issue. Something is causing the disk io to be so high and I want to find out why.

qbitorrent_disk_io.png

Edited by cavedog8 (see edit history)

Since my last post I've been trying everything and seems like if I want to seed these 3 torrents @ full 100Mbps aka ~13MB/s I would need a disk cache setting of at least 5GB.

Find it strange that BitComet needs this much RAM to seed at full 100Mbps. Now I just wonder what will happen once I start adding more torrents and they start seeding too. RAM usage would then skyrocket....

These torrents have been moved to my SSD and everything is running from my SSD.

bitcomet_ram_usage.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 8:57 PM, Rhubarb said:

I'm currently uploading at 550 kB/s and my task manager shows this. I don't know why it says I'm uploading at 4 kB/s though

task manager.jpg

Your upload stat usually doesn't include LTS, but the gross upload on the title bar should include LTS and overhead.

• 1 year later...

If your PC is performing Slow or not responding properly then there are chances that 100% Disk usage in Windows 10 issue might appear in your system.

Yeah, I had faced the same issue but found the solution to fix this issue. I would love to share the solution in case you faced <link deleted> issue.

1: Disable Windows Search

Type net.exe stop “Windows search” in the command prompt and press enter

2: Check for Virus

In case your computer is infected by virus. Install an antivirus software and scan your computer to remove virus and make your system error-free.

If these step helps you in solving Disk Usage then well and good if not and need some more fixes then you can continue reading how to solve 100% Disk usage in Windows 10.