To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Adding new torrent search Sites.

I asked this question to "Support" several days ago but have not gotten a response, so will try here.

At one time, I knew how to add torrent sites to Bitcomet, but have lost that info. Would you be good enough to tell how I can do that? I want to add a few sites to the default drop-down list that Bitcomet uses to search for torrents. i.e., I'd like to add LimeTorrents.cc and Kickass.unblocked.ist to the default list of ThePirateBay, TorrentRoom & TorrentBar.

__

jetjock

55 minutes ago, The UnUsual Suspect said:

for english, edit file "fav_en_us.xml" but you should back it up first in case you need to restore it

I knew it had to be somewhere, but I couldn't find an .ini file! Many thanks for the help.

--

jetjock

12 hours ago, The UnUsual Suspect said:

glad I could help. 

it's wise to keep a backup of your modified file because if bitcomet ever decides to update the list it will get overwritten.

Drive is backed up every night. Thanks. Would be nice if BitComet would include LimeTorrents.cc and Kickass.unblocked.ist in the default list and get rid of those outdated Sites they have. You can never connect to The Pirate Bay Site, and TorrentBar is just for movies.

--

jetjock

20 hours ago, The UnUsual Suspect said:

for english, edit file "fav_en_us.xml" but you should back it up first in case you need to restore it

I'm afraid I am hitting a wall here. How do I edit the .xml file? I tried opening it in the Windows "XML Editor" which turns out to be nothing more than Internet Explorer which doesn't allow me to edit anything! Next, I tried just using WordPad which saves it as .txt file, which doesn't seem to work in BitComet. Next was "Word 2010" which won't open it. "Excel 2010" will open it but I can't figure out the formatting enough to edit it. I downloaded "XML Starlet", a command line editor, but can't figure out how to get it to run. I'm stumped!!

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted!!

--

jetjock

20 hours ago, jetjock said:

I'm afraid I am hitting a wall here. How do I edit the .xml file? I tried opening it in the Windows "XML Editor" which turns out to be nothing more than Internet Explorer which doesn't allow me to edit anything! Next, I tried just using WordPad which saves it as .txt file, which doesn't seem to work in BitComet. Next was "Word 2010" which won't open it. "Excel 2010" will open it but I can't figure out the formatting enough to edit it. I downloaded "XML Starlet", a command line editor, but can't figure out how to get it to run. I'm stumped!!

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted!!

--

jetjock

Disregard the above. I was able to figure out how to do it myself. Used "Notepad" and just copied over the original file. ?

--

jetjock

• 1 month later...

Rather than over writing the file it would be best to First rename the file to something unique so that it's not destroyed. Or better yet make a copy of the file using a new name then you can overwrite the original file. This way you can easily undo the changes should you end up changing the file in such a way that causes unexpected changes to bitcomet. I realize it's too late for you to see the original file now that you've already overwritten it, but for others who are trying to customize the appearance of their bitcomet please remember to make any changes easily reversible.

12 hours ago, The UnUsual Suspect said:

Rather than over writing the file it would be best to First rename the file to something unique so that it's not destroyed. Or better yet make a copy of the file using a new name then you can overwrite the original file. This way you can easily undo the changes should you end up changing the file in such a way that causes unexpected changes to bitcomet. I realize it's too late for you to see the original file now that you've already overwritten it, but for others who are trying to customize the appearance of their bitcomet please remember to make any changes easily reversible.

Hi Suspect,

That's exactly what I did when I added my Sites. I opened two windows side by side with the original file (renamed & saved) in one and another copy that I made changes to, in the other. After each change I would test to see if it worked before making the next change. All is working fine now. Thanks!

--

jetjock

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...