To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Port detection failed

brillo2000

HI there

I have used bitcomet for years and its always been brilliant once I have got my listen port up and running. recently though the green light turned yellow and today it is now grey. I have followed all the instructions on the forum, turned off the firewalls on my pc and my modem. Set up a personal listen port on the modem and matched it to the listen port on bitcomet but it still won't connect.

What can I do to try fix this? any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks 

Try a complete reboot first: power down BOTH computer and modem/router, wait at least two minutes, restart the modem/router and, when it 'locks', restart the computer.

You could also try a 'high' num,ber for the port (your ISP may be blocking lower port numbers). I set mine to around 14,000

If that still doesn't work, try a fresh installation.

• 3 weeks later...

no they have green color only after some high speed download starts, if there's no download it stays gray:

Xwfeo8a.png

it's same on 1.52 as well, disabling KIS 2019 protection doesn't help, i have ZTE F660 router with correct port forwarding, if you enable DHT network then only udp port is opened, as for tcp port  it needs some torrent download to open, maybe windows 10 17134 latest updates changed something, i haven't checked with much older versions, but i think they behave in same way, i installed 1.20 build now and nothing changed, when i start some download it's working again:

tGaSgSD.png

here's my settings:

udV5MeO.png

i think it's windows update that changed something, or my router is broken, it could be internet provider as well, when i install 1809 rtm build in october i will check again, i'm using bitcomet since early 2000 so i have correct settings and never had problems before on those settings

i also opened all ports in router:

koO9IQl.png

firewall is off in router, as well as windows 10 firewall, only using KIS 2019, as long as it keeps opening itself after download starting it'll do fine, it behaves same way if i enable upnp port mapping and dmz host in router

Edited by george2018 (see edit history)

11 hours ago, whitetiger1668 said:

tested by installing older version 1.47, still same, port is gray out. how to solve?

Read post number 2 - also check that DHT is turned 'on' in options

with ZTE F660 router when you enable DHT network only UDP port opens, with TCP port you have to port forward in router settings, maybe it's new windows 10 update, because i also installed very old bitcomet versions and nothing changed, C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc there's nothing wrong with hosts file, so it's either windows update or internet provider changed something, i will check on freshly installed 1809 windows version later, i never had this problem before using same settings, it needs around 1-2 minutes download time in order to open port, without downloading something it's always stay gray with Port detection failed error, i checked another computer on same router with windows 1709 build using latest update and it has same problem, port only opens when there's some download going

On 9/11/2018 at 7:16 PM, brillo2000 said:

turned off the firewalls on my pc and my modem

Just for the record, and to all the people reading this thread...we have never ever once told anyone (in my more than 12 years at BitComet) to do this (just the opposite, actually).

Turning off your firewall and/or your antivirus is a really, really bad idea (it lets all sorts of "nasties" wriggle through to your computer). Said programs are there for a reason, not just for mere decoration, so it's best that you learn what their purpose is and why they're there.

Some people are reporting that the problem lies with IPv6 - disabling that seems to make things work again. This could be an ISP problem (that IPv6 hasn't been implemented). Try disabling it in preferences

or provider changed something, when download starts it's fine again after 1-2 minutes download (with proper port forwarding in router), most ports seems closed when i check https://portchecker.co but when i start bitcomet 65000 port is open, but after exiting bitcomet port is closed again, so something is preventing it to stay open all the time even with port forwarding, i never had this problem before, i don't do any online gaming, but browsing is working fine, as well as torrents, so it's only minor problem

On 10/3/2018 at 12:09 AM, george2018 said:

when i start bitcomet 65000 port is open

If you chose port 65000 as the port that BitComet traffic is supposed to use, then the port should only open when there is BitComet traffic...nobody else's.

On 10/3/2018 at 12:09 AM, george2018 said:

after exiting bitcomet port is closed again

Once BitComet is closed, no other program is allowed to use that specific port and, since BitComet doesn't need it anymore (you just closed the program), it will close, as it should.

Both behaviours are working properly.

• 2 weeks later...

well when i turned on bitcomet 1.51 today green light returned again, i haven't changed anything, you don't need to download anything port opens without downloading now, yesterday i update java runtime, but maybe internet provider changed some settings, well problem started after i installed 1.52 build, before that i never had any problems and port always stayed green

• 2 years later...

If I disable my firewalls and the listening port is still blocked, would it be proof that it is the router or provider (I am in a hotel) blocking the port? If that is the case, is there any way to use a VPN (I use cloudfare) to get around this issue?

You would need to know what ports are open on the router and also have one opened for your intranet IP address (the VPN isn't an issue here)

Basically, there is no way you can operate without actually changing the settings on the hotel router - and I don't think they would permit that

And, please do not attach a 'me too' post especially when the original problem is totally different (and was 3 years ago)