To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet reaching out to UDP connections that are infected with botnet:Blacklist

I know it's for seeding, but what is the "delete task only" should do then ?

And why it deletes the .bc file when it's in the default download folder and not when it's inside a folder that's inside the default download folder ? 

Deleting task used to work no matter the .bc location, but no it only works when the .bc is in the default download folder.

It deletes the file in the BITCOMET folder because that's where it's supposed to be. If it's moved, then the app doesn't know where it is, so it can't be deleted.

No, not moved. It wont delete the .bc file before moving. I even cannot move any downloaded stuff before I delete task. And by deleting task the .bc should be deleted. But it isn't if it's inside an additional folder that's inside the main download folder.

Sorry, I'm not sure how to explain this better, english is not my native language...

Copy first, then delete task - you will still have to delete the .bc file in the moved folder as neither BC nor Windows will know where it is.

Deleting task only does NOT remove the files - it simply stops them downloading

16 hours ago, Rhubarb said:

Deleting task only does NOT remove the files - it simply stops them downloading

That's the thing - it does if the files are in the default folder !       It used to delete them from anywhere, not anymore.

No app will delete its own files if they aren't where they are supposed to be. In this case, BC is looking at the default download folder. If a file was moved, then it dowsn't know where it moved to.  |It'sequallypossible that a change in Windows structuring would also affect that (the file is moved but the MFT doesn'tknow where to - it  looks at the default location

I really don't have the foggiest idea what you are expecting:

'delete task only' is designed to RETAIN the files and 'delete all' does exactly what it says.

What neither will do is to delete files that are NOT in the download folder

"Delete task only" deletes .bc but retains the downloaded file. 

It does that correctly in the dedicated download folder but not if the downloaded file comes with it's own folder. 

How to better explain ?  If I download a folder that contains some files, then Bitcomet creates this folder with these files, inside my dedicated download folder and it also creates the .bc file next to these files that are inside this folder.  "Delete task only" used to remove the .bc file but not anymore. 

If I download some files that are without a folder, then these files are created directly in my dedicated download folder along with .bc file. And in this case "Delete  task only" removes the .bc

Hey I'm no tech savvy compared to you guys 🙂. Sorry if its tldr;  and too

basic. I thought I could shed some light on what you are seeing based on my knowledge.

If I understood you correctly, when you download a torrent that downloads its file in the main folder directly, you don't see piece_part.bc corresponding to the downloaded file after deleting the task in BC. But when you download a torrent and if the torrent creates a subfolder, then after deleting the task, you still see the piece_part.bc file in the subfolder.

FIrst, let's figure out what the piece_part.bc file is.

We know torrent files store information in pieces. And downloading is done piece-wise instead of file wise. So it is possible for a single piece to have more than 1 files. How? Lets take files A and B in a torrent stored contiguously, so its possible that the end of file A and start of file B are in a common piece. These pieces are boundary pieces. The boundary piece data is stored in piece_part.bc file.

Does all the boundary piece downloads are stored in piece_part.bc you might ask. No it's not. Only non-contiguous boundary pieces are stored.

Lets take the example below where a torrent has below 6 files stored in that order in the .torrent file.

A B C (D) E F

If you were to download selectively by skipping File D, the files A to C are contiguous and E to F are contiguous. So the boundary pieces of CD and DE are stored in piece_part.bc

Since torrent downloads "in" pieces, its not possible to just download the end of File C without the start of D(boundary piece). But you don't want the file D. So BC deletes the file D from disk but instead keeps the boundary piece information. 

This is done to make sure when a peer requests the boundary piece from you, they get the whole part of the piece and also avoid redownloading of this piece if you change your mind  to download the file D.

Now that we know what information is stored in piece_part.bc. Let's get a couple of things right. 

piece_part.bc file contains boundary piece information and is only generated when you download "selective files". So this means when you are downloading a whole torrent or torrent with only 1 file, piece_part.bc doesn't get created.

Coming back to your question. 

BC doesn't create folder when you download a torrent with single file, because it gets downloaded directly to the main folder. It creates a subfolder when there are more than 1 file/folder in the torrent you are downloading.

In your observation, the piece_part.bc file is deleted when download is done in main folder. But I think you downloaded a single file torrent and the piece_part.bc was never created. When there is a sub folder and only if you perform a "selective files' download, piece_part.bc is created. 

21 hours ago, Konkar said:

Delete task only" used to remove the .bc file but not anymore. 

Now I'm not sure if it used to delete piece_part.bc file before. But I would really leave the piece_part.bc file alone as it doesn't consume much space and its just a data file. 

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, showstoppre said:

If I understood you correctly, when you download a torrent that downloads its file in the main folder directly, you don't see piece_part.bc corresponding to the downloaded file after deleting the task in BC. But when you download a torrent and if the torrent creates a subfolder, then after deleting the task, you still see the piece_part.bc file in the subfolder.

Exatly like this.

The other things, however - no matter if I download multiple files or just a single file (not selective one, but the whole download is just one file), the .bc is always created.

Earlier versions of Bitcomet (before 1.58 or maybe a few versions earlier) used to delete .bc from anywhere, now it only deletes it from main download folder, not from subfolders.

I know the .bc does not consume much space, but if I eventually put all my downloaded files into folders by category, then with every file there comes this .bc and it's very annoying to deleti it every time manually. Without deleting they would pile up.

Edited by Konkar (see edit history)

Correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that there is a "piece_part.bc!" file for each torrent. Or is it ".bc!" files for each files in that torrent.

Because, .bc! extension is added by default to unfinished files. Maybe we are refering to two different things here.

On a side note, try disabling the option "Add .bc! file extension to unfinished file". This option is present under "Tasks". Not sure if its anyway related. 

But please check your future downloads if you are still seeing "piece_part.bc!" file for single file torrents and whole torrent downloads. 

I'm using the latest version of BC and the "piece_part.bc" gets created only on selective file downloads.

The "piece_part.bc!" is created per torrent.  It is a separate file that gets created next to downloaded file(s) into the same folder.

".bc" is an extension that can be added to the unfinished file. (that's ok and it's automatically removed when download complete)

Ok, I see why the confusion - I've been talking about .bc not deleted, but that's just me being lazy and writing .bc instead of piece_part.bc!

I wrote it out fully as "piece_part.bc!" in the first post where I had the question about it, but the next post Rhubarb wrote it ".bc" so I thought it's ok to call it that.

The file I've been talking about is "piece_part.bc!

EDIT:

I did extensive testing and you are right - it seems that "piece_part.bc!" is created only when I deselect some of the downloaded files. But since there is often something like "downloaded from***.txt" then I deselect them since it's mostly just clutter. The reason why the files that are downloaded into the main download folder do not have this "piece_part.bc!" attached, is that only the single files don't create their own folder and I don't have to deselect anything when downloads are single files.

But if there are more than one files in download, there is always a folder created and since I almost always find something to disable, it leaves the impression that only the downloads that create their own folders have "piece_part.bc!"  (At least that part is clear now)

And now to the problem - If I delete task, it should also delete this "piece_part.bc!" since it's useless without the task. And deleting task used to delete it, but not since last year's September.

Edited by Konkar (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Konkar said:

What is task remove window ? if I right-click on task and select delete, it gives me two options: "Delete task only" and "Delete task and downloaded files"

That's right. It is the task remove window.

In version 1.58 BC added two features to this window. "Delete unfinished download files only" and "Delete all downloaded files". 

Since that update, what you are asking for stopped working, which is, deleting the task doesn't delete the "piece_part.bc!" file.

I just pointed out this line in the changelog as this feature addition might have caused the bug you are facing. Like you said, the release was on September when you started facing the issue.

"Delete task only" and "Delete task and downloaded files" are the only options for me. v. 1.67

I would like the functionality to delete the "piece_part.bc!" automatically as in earlier versions. (v.1.57 and earlier)