To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

D/L always Slow >3kb/s...HELP

Hi,

It seem my d/l is always at >3kb/s and tthis has been going on for many months and my friend was saying this is abnormal.

I did a speed test on one of the website and my spped is:

119.7 kilobits per second

Communications 119.7 kilobits per second

Storage 14.6 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 1.2 minutes

Subjective rating Mediocre

My BC settings are:

Global Max Download Rate: No limit

Global Max Upload Rate: 22

Max Simultaneous Download Tasks: 5

Listen Port: 49999

Minimum Upload Rate Per seeding task: 10kb/s

Advanced/Connection

All box uncheck

Maximum Connections per task: 250

Connections to keep per task: 100

Global maximum upload slots: Auto

Global minimum upload slots: Auto

Socket Send Buffer Size: Auto

Socket start Interval (ms): 300

Max half-tcp connections: 5

Use NAT Traversal via UDP: Enable

Advanced/IP Rules

Only Check - Enable reporting LAN IP to Tracker

Max Sessions per IP for downloading task: 50

Max Sessions per IP for uploading task: 10

I'm using BC 0.58 version.

I also realise that under peer all the seeds are LOCAL.

Pls advice what could be the possoble reason for the slow d/l.

Thanks in advance

Based on the speed test you posted it appears that your connection is only 2x dialup speeds (really slow)

Were you downloading when you ran that test??? -you should not have anything using the internet when running a speed test.

If you werent downloading anything and those are your actual ISP speeds then your settings are way to high.

So first upgrade bitcomet to the latest v0.70

then figure out what the make and model of your modem/router is that connects you to the internet

then go through everything in the Bitcomet Settings Guide (there's a link to it in my sig)

and dont confuse kilobytes vs. kilobits per second (1 byte = 8 bits)

Based on the speed test you posted it appears that your connection is only 2x dialup speeds (really slow)

Were you downloading when you ran that test??? -you should not have anything using the internet when running a speed test.

If you werent downloading anything and those are your actual ISP speeds then your settings are way to high.

So first upgrade bitcomet to the latest v0.70

then figure out what the make and model of your modem/router is that connects you to the internet

then go through everything in the Bitcomet Settings Guide (there's a link to it in my sig)

and dont confuse kilobytes vs. kilobits per second (1 byte = 8 bits)

Hi dave, i look through yr link and upgrade to BT 0.7...This is the result...so i assume my BT setting is correct right as i follow the way u describe.

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-08-24 03:01:06 EST:

983 / 243

Your download speed : 983 kbps or 122.9 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 243 kbps or 30.4 KB/sec.

Im using linksys BEFW11S4 router. for the last part which i need to enter the port range (start and end) i do not know what figure to put in...My listen port is 49999(according to BT under preference). So do i key in start 49999 and end also 49999? Also IP address the last box should be ) or 1? My IP is end with 1

Really a noob.....hope u can explain in plain english...Thanks alot

Um I would assume that you're talking about 'Port Forwarding' for:

Im using linksys BEFW11S4 router. for the last part which i need to enter the port range (start and end) i do not know what figure to put in...My listen port is 49999(according to BT under preference). So do i key in start 49999 and end also 49999? Also IP address the last box should be ) or 1? My IP is end with 1

Really a noob.....hope u can explain in plain english...Thanks alot

If you wish we do have a portforwarding guide in place which should help you step by step, Click Here

In answer to your questions, the Port to be entered into your Router webpage, should be exactly the same as your Listening Port used in BitComet. A range in: 49152 to 65535 is okay.

When you refer to the IP Address, the last box depends, my PortForwarding Guide does tell you how to find the digit for your IP Address input. But normally, it is '1'.

Um I would assume that you're talking about 'Port Forwarding' for:

If you wish we do have a portforwarding guide in place which should help you step by step, Click Here

In answer to your questions, the Port to be entered into your Router webpage, should be exactly the same as your Listening Port used in BitComet. A range in: 49152 to 65535 is okay.

When you refer to the IP Address, the last box depends, my PortForwarding Guide does tell you how to find the digit for your IP Address input. But normally, it is '1'.

Hi Soraiya,

I've the steps u recommended and can see slight improvement but my peers are either local or NAT...understand that mean something is still blocking me...how to i resolve that?

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-08-24 03:01:06 EST:

983 / 243

Your download speed : 983 kbps or 122.9 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 243 kbps or 30.4 KB/sec.

With these test results it appears you likely have a 1m download, and 1/4m upload.

with this limited bandwidth, I would recommend running only one torrent at a time, and setting max upload to about 25kB/s when downloading (no limit when seeding).

Since bitdave and soraiya have been working on your port issues, I will defer that issue to them, just wanted to make this suggestion.

Suspect

What antivirus / firewall software do you use???

To setup your router go here

Pick your router (there are a couple different ones like yours just find the one with similar menus to yours)

Then pick Bitcomet and it will give you detailed instructions with pictures

Using a final IP digit of 1 is very likely to fail. Why? Because 192.168.2.1 would be your router's internal IP address, so the port would be open to itself. That's not going to do you any good.

You seem to be pretty unclear on the basic concepts here, and over at P2Pforums. Are you actually reading the guides?

Your computer needs a static IP that is unique to it. You cannot use the router's IP, because that would not be a unique address. When two devices on the same net have the same IP, bad and unpredictable things happen, so don't ever do that.

Look, choose 5, ok? Make the final digit, 5. Change your computer's IP address to 192.168.2.5 and use that for your port forwarding rule.

The reason you have all local and NAT connections is because this port isn't opened properly. When you get it open you'll get remote connections.

With these test results it appears you likely have a 1m download, and 1/4m upload.

with this limited bandwidth, I would recommend running only one torrent at a time, and setting max upload to about 25kB/s when downloading (no limit when seeding).

Since bitdave and soraiya have been working on your port issues, I will defer that issue to them, just wanted to make this suggestion.

Suspect

Thanks.... Any reliable d/l to test if it is seed/peer prob?

What antivirus / firewall software do you use???

To setup your router go here

Pick your router (there are a couple different ones like yours just find the one with similar menus to yours)

Then pick Bitcomet and it will give you detailed instructions with pictures

Hi dave,

I'm using Mcafee firewallgiving access to BC.

Jusy to confirm XP SP1 no firewall rite/

I'm quite sure i have set the router correctly.....

Yes XP SP1 has a firewall

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673

I would think that Mcafee firewall would have disabled it automatically but anyways read through the link I posted on how to manually disable the Windows firewall.

Also in Mcafee you need to give Bitcomet both outgoing and incoming access (i think its called Server Access)

Make sure you understand what kluelos said and it should be easy to follow the directions at portforward.com for your router.