To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet slows computer down

hi sorry i was wondering if anyone could help?

i've been having this problem with bitcomet. i can open and run bitcomet without any problems, but when i try to download a torrent, after a while, say 5 to 10 minutes when the torrent is connected already and everything my computer starts to slow down to the point when even playing a song in windows media player lags. i have closed all other running programs but to no avail.

on a few occassions the computer not only slows down, but even resets itself. upon restart the computer claims that "Windows has recovered from a serious error" and "A log of the error has been created" and asks if i want to send an error report. under the event viewer log in the Control Panel it tells me that it is a System Error, Category is (102) and Event 1003.

im using Norton Internet Security but have disabled the Norton Internet Worm Protection feature whenever i download torrents. also i use ZoneAlarm but i disable the firewall too when downloading. i have switched off my XP firewall too.

i went to windows task manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and the under the "Processes" tab i found that BitComet averaged around 60000k in the "Mem Usage" section. is this normal?

all is fine when i stop downloading though (i.e. i stop all downloads in BitComet.)

my downloading and uploading speeds are fine.

my system configuration:

Windows XP SP2

Pentium 4 1.4 GHz

448 MB RAM

Norton Internet Security

Zone Alarm

would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help. thank you.

I have had many reports simular to this all by norton users.

I would observe how much ram and cpu usage your norton using, as it is well known to be a resource hog.

As for bit comet using 60megs ram, that is twice what mine normally uses, and I have more ram installed, so I'm not sure why, but you should have plenty since it appears you have 512mb ram (most likely shared with your video which explains why it displays less).

I also hope you don't run all those firewalls at the same time, as this could cause problems.

I would also scan for spyware/adware and viruses.

although I'm unsure what your problem is, I think you should observe memory usage when the computer slows down, and if you find the "hog", you can then shut it down and see if the problem is solved.

Also, if your hard drive is near full, this will hurt your system performance.

Running a defrag on your drive will help too.

Suspect

My PC also slows down when I have bitcomet on for a while. After when I check the proccesses, it shows Bitcomet using 100000k of my memory. I don't think this is normal as on my cousin's PC it only ever uses about 30000k :S

I have an AMD Sempron 64-bit 2600+ and 1gb of ram. I am using Windows XP with SP2

I shut down all anti-virus problem and firewall, but the similiar problem occurs (0.71 ver.)

Mine: P4 2.4G

768M Ram

Winxpsp2

USB drive as the BT destination

You should not connect to the internet without a firewall. Zonealarm does not shut down, even when disabeled. Its a POS firewall and shouldn't be used. Use McAfee or Kerio.

Now, get rid of BC 0.71, go back to 0.70 for the moment.

My PC also slows down when I have bitcomet on for a while. After when I check the proccesses, it shows Bitcomet using 100000k of my memory. I don't think this is normal as on my cousin's PC it only ever uses about 30000k :S

I have an AMD Sempron 64-bit 2600+ and 1gb of ram. I am using Windows XP with SP2

First off you should be using BC 0.70. Now if you're concerned about memory use then do not load an IP filter list and set the cache size manually.

i have a question: even with ZoneAlarm and Norton switched on it shouldn't affect the amount of memory that bitcomet uses right? so i don't think these are the causes of my problems. i have disabled both Norton and ZoneAlarm but there's no effect.

basically when bitcomet is idling (i.e. i start up bitcomet but stop all downloads) the mem usage is normal, about 30k. however when i start downloading the mem usage immediately shoots up to the 60k i mentioned. could it be to do with the torrent itself? or is there some bug within bitcomet?

i can use all other p2p programs with no problems (e.g. eMule works fine, Shareaza also works fine) only bitcomet causes my computer to slow down terribly.

im using bitcomet version 0.70.

Zonealarm CANNOT be disabled. Even through you set it to disable it will keep running and keep blocking legit users and greatly slow down your downloads.

Up to 60k is normal for BC because of BC's cache settings. If you're worried about this don't be. If you don't like it just go in to BC's settings and manually configure them.

i have a question: even with ... Norton switched on it shouldn't affect the amount of memory that bitcomet uses right?

No, that's what you're being told. This combination WILL affect the amount of memory used. In Symantec/Norton's desire to be everything to everyone, they've included several features that are really suboptimal for P2P. You can diminish or eliminate their effects if you know what you're doing, but those who know that don't tend to ask questions in fora like this one.