To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet version for Linux

I don't know who are the people behind this great software but I have been using BitComet ever since I stumbled across it. I threw Azureus out the window :D

But now I have switched to Linux and love to use BitComet. The only reason I have to keep Windows on my HD is to use BitComet.

So could you please please PLEASE make a Linux version? :) :)

Don't hold your breath for a Linux version.

If you want to use BitComet then try running it through Wine like the µTorrent crowd does.

I tried but it doesn't work on wine :(

Come on, I am sure making a Linux version ain't that hard? :) :)

I tried but it doesn't work on wine :(

Come on, I am sure making a Linux version ain't that hard? :) :)

linux and windows are as different as chalk and cheese.

as much as you may dislike azureus, it's probably your best bet in linux

not sure what ver. of linux your using, but install from the .tar is easy

at least you have seen the light as far as windoze is concerned

Why would you want a new built in video player? There are so many players out there is not even funny.

Windows Media Player 11 is coming out and it's support with FFDShow is perfect.

Media Player Classic is always being worked on.

There's MPlayer(for linux only), Zoom Player, Core Player, WinAmp, h*** even VLC (although it needs updateing.).

just try mldonkey its the best p2p software anyway..

It runs on mac, linux and windows as well but I didn't make very good experiences with windows dough but on linux it works perfectly well.

Just two things get on my nerves first the incoming directory is always shared meaning you either have to start a cron job or move the files your self if you don't want to have them shared, which is pretty important for torrents to get fast. Anyway its a great application since you can also control it with a webinterface or a very good gui (sancho ) which is very practical if you'd like to download on your server. And finally the gratest thing about it is that it supports several p2p networks at once.. as the name says it includes the edonky network as well.

Ah and I forgot to tell that the gui is written in java and c++ both supportet on windows and linux. the core is written in object caml I dont know much about this language but it seems to be very performant with mldonkey.. I heard about mldonkey beeing very ressource hungry but these days are definitly over.. its as fast as it can be

The thing is, with built-in players, i.e. even the media player that we have pre-installed in BitComet clients will not be able to play every type of video file. I.e. For anime downloaders, you'll find that alot of foreign file types are used other than .avi/.mpeg etc.

Hm, as for the software that you mentioned weedbeat, I haven't really heard of it...though it sounds interesting. However, I find that clients which are focussed upon one area i.e. torrents is much better than clients that are mult-functional.