To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Strange Menu!

zybot

Hi all,

I've been using BC for a while now and after updating to .70 release the menu (in attachment) has appeared, anyone else seen this ... it appears to take me sites in chinese!!

tia for any help

Yes, I got it today as well. I can almost swear that it wasn't there as late as yesterday. My Norton worm protection also alerted me and I disabled it.

Yes, I got it today as well. I can almost swear that it wasn't there as late as yesterday. My Norton worm protection also alerted me and I disabled it.

.... Norton never picked any worms up on XP x64 edition ... however a reinstall of the OS to x86 and back to good old mcafee seems to have sorted out the problem.

Seems like there might be a hold in Norton/x64 somewhere

We are aware of this menu problem, which will either look as above, or chinese symbols (if chinese language support is installed).

This should not cause any problems, and we will post more info when availble.

Suspect

Hi,

Even though I haven't received the chinese characters (yet), I did notice that, like mistry, if I click on mininova I get bitenova opening up as well as an advert. page along with it.

This only started to happen yesterday as, the day before it would take me to mininova without any problems (and their site is working fine if I use my browser to find it).

cassie

Apparently this is just some advertising for some chinese site(s)

see screenshots

As soon as you start up bitcomet whether you have update enabled or not it phones home and puts this into the index.dat thats in bc_cache. Nothing malicious, just some ads. If you delete the bc_cache folder it will be gone, but will just redownload itself next time you start. The only way to avoid getting this is too block those 3 attempts to phone home at the beginning. Bitcomet will not try to phone home again if those first three attempts fail.

Here are the connection attempts. I blocked it the first time, then shut down Bitcomet and allowed it the second time

problemmv7.jpg

Here is what the ad stuff comes from

problem2lt2.jpg

So, this is not any spyware or anything bad, just some ads that you can ignore.

Not sure why some people had norton popping up; there is nothing malicious about these ads

Our developers are working on this issue. It was designed to simply add some more links to chinese language bit comet only.

I wouldn't consider it a "ad" in the strictest sense, just links to sites with torrents and such.

Hopefully it will be corrected soon :)

Our developers are working on this issue. It was designed to simply add some more links to chinese language bit comet only.

I wouldn't consider it a "ad" in the strictest sense, just links to sites with torrents and such.

Hopefully it will be corrected soon :)

It's gone today!