To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

I keep getting this error message when I download!

tanusgreystar

All right, perhaps I wasn't too clear on what I meant by more detalied information.

What version of BitComet are you using?

What O/S?

Do you have a router/modem? Which one? Is it configured properly?

Antivirus? Which one?

Firewall?

Could you provide a link to where you got the torrent?

Has this happened before or just recently?

cassie :)

What version of BitComet are you using?

BitComet 0.70

but I was actually trying to download the torrents with uTorrent. After I posted my last post I used the BitComet to do the download and it was fine.

What O/S?

XP Home

Do you have a router/modem? Which one? Is it configured properly?

Yes, modem/router. Westell Versalink 327W. I tried port forwarding and I can get into my modem, but I don't have a username/password that will allow me to configure it. I called my ISP but all they would do is to offer higher speed.

Antivirus? Which one?

Yes, AVG Free

Firewall?

Zone Alarm

Could you provide a link to where you got the torrent?

I used isoHunt

Has this happened before or just recently?

recently

Edited by cassie (see edit history)

Make sure your copy of XP Home is fully up to date for security reasons. Now, ditch(un-install) ZA and either use the Windows built in or Kerio free.

With bitcomet running go to http://www.canyouseeme.org and enter your listen port number. Also, look at the health of the .torrent. If it's below 100% then it will not download what so ever. Had you give a link to the .torrent file its self we could go check it out ourselves.

How do I find my listen port number? Also is the windows firewall as good as something like Zone Alarm?

Make sure your copy of XP Home is fully up to date for security reasons. Now, ditch(un-install) ZA and either use the Windows built in or Kerio free.

With bitcomet running go to http://www.canyouseeme.org and enter your listen port number. Also, look at the health of the .torrent. If it's below 100% then it will not download what so ever. Had you give a link to the .torrent file its self we could go check it out ourselves.

You specified your listen port in your preferences, when you set up BitComet.

If you didn't know that you did that, it will probably be worth your time to look at how all of your preferences are set, and to read and follow the settings guide in the BitComet Client Help forum, to make sure you've configured your client correctly.

Also is the windows firewall as good as something like Zone Alarm?

The XP firewall compleatly blocks incoming attacks, pings, & scans. It's a decent firewall and it will probably be easier for you to use while configureing BC. Just allow exceptions and BC will auto add it's ports for you. You just need to allow BC to access the internet and you'll be fine.

Zonealarm does not mix with anytype of p2p, it just has problems. It can't keep up with connections and it messes with the tcp/ip stack. ZA also doesn't stop running. You have to actually uninstall the thing because it can't be disabled.