To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bittorent goes legal? so what happens to Bitcomet?

Xcalate

Bram Cohen released the bittorrent source into the public domain long ago. That's irrevocable. Others rewrote the functionality in Java (Azureus) and C++ (BitComet and µtorrent) from the original Python. Since then, they've all been being developed separately. Bittorrent.org basically gave the code away and lost its leadership position, with most of the innovation coming from others.

Now, anything Bittorrent.org does is largely irrelevant to the rest of the community, as this form of bittorrent will continue and the originator has nothing it can say about it. They may head in some other direction, but it won't really matter to anyone else. They have no ownership or authority over their original code, or anybody else's implementations in other languages.

Bram only developed the original protocol function and even then he ripped off the swarm sharing idea from eDonky anyway. The DHT(Bamboo) Bram used is open source. PEX I believe was developed by theSHADOW (BitTornado), he also developed Super Seed. A new version of PEX as well as quick extension were written by Ludd (µTorrent). The the encryptions were developed by the big three.

Bram used a different DHT instead of Azureus's when it was finally decided DHT was needed. He's hasn't done much besides live off donations since then (6 figures a year). Bram made a few adjustments for regulation of the protocol's traffic and server caching and that's it.

Anyone that has used "Bit Torrent" client has seen that everytime you execute the program, a picture of him appears holding his baby asking for money.

Although he has every right to ask for donations, I still find it strange that people complain that bit comet has a donate "paypal" icon. Bit Comet is a far better client then Bit Torrent Client. However, I do respect Bram for his work, and any donation he gets are well deserved.

Suspect

Myself, I see a bigger difference, but maybe it's just approach: BitComet's icon doesn't ask for a donation.

If it weren't there, people would be asking how they could donate, and that would be a FAQ around here. You can donate if you wish, and the icon's there for you to click to do that if you wish, but BC doesn't even ask you to. That's a huge difference, to me.

For starters, there seems to be this great misconception of bittorrents being illegal... :huh:

There is nothing illegal about the whole process, my fellow torrenters ;)

It's just some large instances (we know who they are) who are trying to keep bittorrents on the shady side of the spectrum, to scare-off the ppl.

Of course, it depends what is being transferred with bittorrents, but even that remains an issue of discussion, regarding with on which side of the fence you are standing... but I'm not here to start a discussion about the surmised illegality of bittorrents...

As for the future? Who knows...

There have been many examples in the past, of companies who promised to keep things free, but still reverted to charging for some or other technicality (dBpowerAMP, anyone?)...

I've recently seen an interview with Richard Branson, who is keen on using bittorrents as a means of transport for larger quantities of musical content, so as to eliminate the costs involved with the transportation of pressed CD/DVD's.

What would happen if he buys, let's say, BitComet?

He subsequently could hire some whiz kids to alter the code, so that BitComet could only be used to download Branson Torrents, to give the child a name, and thus he could revert to ask for a fee to let ppl use that altered BitComet...

Just a thought ;)

JJ

Well, if a client uses bittorrent protocol, then it has to be free program.

I have a plan for a new protocol, where each piece of data has multiple peers receiving it (which could make download rates infinitely faster), at least in theory.

Suspect

Well, if a client uses bittorrent protocol, then it has to be free program.

I have a plan for a new protocol, where each piece of data has multiple peers receiving it (which could make download rates infinitely faster), at least in theory.

Suspect

Aha... a man with a plan... sounds cool... is there a space where eventual progress can be followed? I'm interested as a user, cause who says "download rates infinitely faster" also says "upload rates faster"...

As a rather 'small' uploader of mostly mp3 and/or FLAC files, to an ever growing public, I am like most of us, hampered by the discrepancy between up- and download speeds.

In theory, I have a 4.6MBit download and 512kb upload speed. As far as connectivity and speeds go, both µTorrent and BitComet are top of the bill, with my own preference going towards BitComet.

However, should there become a client available which could improve the distribution speeds, I would only welcome that...

My apologies for going into this reply and thus steering the topic in another direction...

JJ