To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet making my internet connection unstable.

Hey,

My internet connection was unstable for months, during which time I unplugged and re-plugged my modem and router a few times a day to get it working again, and, thinking it was my router's fault, was e-mailing the tech support of my router, to the point where they had no idea what the problem could be. Then I came across this piece of info about torrents on a site comparing P2P applications:

"BitTorrent is another free P2P software application. It has attracted a loyal following among those interested in sharing movies and television programs. The offical BitTorrent P2P client generally does not support bandwidth throttling, meaning that it will tend to monopolize a network connection and not allow surfing the Internet or otherwise utilizing the network while files are being downloaded or uploaded. A freely-available alternative BitTorrent client overcomes this limitation."

I stopped using BitComet for a few days, and my internet connection hasn't failed once. So my question is, how do you set BitComet up to not kill your bandwidth? Thanks.

I guess you could test your connection speed while not downloading or anything and then set your bitcomet universal upload and download speed to fraction of the total, sumthin like 50% i guess?

Oh ok, so then setting the Download and Upload speeds low enough will fix the issue? There's nothing else to it?

well i donno, i was just takin a shot at tryin to help, i dont really know if that will fix it. It takes up all the bandwith with all its uploading and downloading so i was just thinkin that if u did just set the upload and download to a % of the overall it might fix it

Hey guys,

I set both my max Upload and Download speeds to 10 kbps, and everything looked like it was working til I got up in the morning and found my connection lost again. Is there a bittorrent client that you think might not have this issue? And is there a way to make the new client detect the downloads I had going with BitComet, since I had GBs downloaded of several files? Lastly, form checking your links to past posts, I found that people didn't have this internet-killing problem with older versions of BitComet. Is it possible to download an old version, and, if so, have it detect the downloads I had going on? Either way would be great.

Thanks,

Andrew

Well after 6 months (sorry speak spanish) i found the perfect settings for bitcomet (i do with Bitcomet 0.62), because before i put this settings, my internet not work and de Download Speed average was 12 Kbs. Well

I have a connection 512Kbps (64KB download/? upload), and a router Linksys Befsr41. I Put in windows and static IP, and go to router setup and put port fordwaring to the port of Bitcomet, and my static new IP. Then, go to Conection and change download speed to Unlimited and in upload speed put %50 of your capacity of upload. I use port 12492. In Advanced try to put some trackers of "respaldo. In Advanced/Conection enabled DHT network, and in my case (i use win 2000) deactivate Firewall ICS/ICF, mapping uPnP, and eliminate port configuration in firewall. NOW Come the better part..."ranuras" avaliable max for upload:25,

half time conections TCP max: 85.

And thats all my download speed now is 55Kbs and Upload 6 Kbs "average". I have DSL connection, with the router all with these correct settings and it was INCREDIBLE!.

PLEASE, IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH DOWNLOAD SPEED, TRY THIS CINFIGURATION AND PLEASE, TELLME LATER...

And Now i dont have more problems with my connection to internet, with explorer, messenger, etc.

It Works

fROM Argentina... ArielE

Hello AreilE,

Thanks for that info! I carefully made sure to do everything you mentioned. I'll come back and let you know if my internet stayed stable for a couple of days. I'm done downloading a buncha stuff from other p2p clients, so I decided to come back and open BitComet again to try and finish my remaining downloads, even if that means babysitting my internet connection again.

Thanks!

Andrew

I think you might want to contact your isp, and have your connection tested.

I know your bit torrent traffic can overload your connection, but not to the point that you need to reboot your modem, but bad connections on your line CAN do this, and i have diagnosed this problem many times.

Your isp can test the connection from their end, and will send a repair man if you have unacceptable packet loss.

Suspect

PS. I have personally had this problem as well.

It was BitComet! After a few days of using Ariele's setup, I found that BitComet doesn't mess anything up. I don't know which part(s) of it did the trick, but I recommend that anyone who has this internet-killing problem with BitComet take a look at Ariele's post. It takes a bit of decyphering to understand, haha, but it's worth it. Do every last bit of it. I hope this helps other people besides myself. Take care! Thanks a ton, Ariele.