To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

.mkv's and VLC.

gelo

Ok.

I'm trying to play a .mkv file in VLC.

The video plays, but the audio does not. However, I am told that VLC should play the audio as it has full .mkv support. But nevertheless, there is no audio playing.

I go to View>Messages & this is written there:

main error: couldn't find a filter for the first part of the conversion

main error: couldn't set an input pipeline

.. Could this have something to do with it?

Anybody have any ideas on how to remedy this, or what may be wrong?

All help would be appreciated!! THANK YOU!

Ok.

I'm trying to play a .mkv file in VLC.

The video plays, but the audio does not. However, I am told that VLC should play the audio as it has full .mkv support. But nevertheless, there is no audio playing.

I go to View>Messages & this is written there:

main error: couldn't find a filter for the first part of the conversion

main error: couldn't set an input pipeline

.. Could this have something to do with it?

Anybody have any ideas on how to remedy this, or what may be wrong?

All help would be appreciated!! THANK YOU!

go here: http://www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html

look for matroska pack, download and install

works for me

I'm not an expert with VLC - I never use it. Nevertheless, if you want to play mkv files without VLC I suggest you get ffdshow & Haali Media Splitter.

I would like to keep with VLC. I'm accustomed to using it for everything.

So, if anyone DOES know how to help me, you're welcome to!

Here are some free codec packs to give a try. Personally, I prefer K-Lite & BSplayer/Media Player Classic from there (BTW, have a look at "Last update" & "Downloads" stats for codecs on that page). Also, GSpot tool from there is handy one; I'm using Codec Tweak Tool from there to fine-tune codecs in my system. Well, you may install whatever you wish, just remember to uninstall any codecs you already have or there may be conflicts between them.

OK.

Firstly, you guys are NOT reading what I am writing.

I would rather FIX the problem and stick with VLC. I've been asking as to WHY VLC isn't playing the audio, & if anyone knew. Let me set it out for you clearer this time:

1) WHY isn't VLC playing .mkv's with audio: I thought it had mkv compatability.

2) Anyone experienced a similar problem, or know how I can fix this issue of not having audio.

Ok let me explain the problem. :) First VLC has a lot of errors like this. VLC doesn't use updated codecs, splitters, etc. VLC is the arch enemy of all modern MKV files. It has a somewhat old MKV splitter and a downright ancient subtitle renderer. The old MKV splitter is incapable of using the embedded fonts in MKV files, and the ancient subtitle renderer basically treats MKV subtitles like OGM subtitles, stripping away nearly all typesetting info. VLC also has flaky support of h.264, which is commonly used in Matroska files. Basically: NEVER watch MKV files with VLC.

Now as to your question of fixing VLC, you can't. VLC does not use any external codecs. So no matter what obscenely large codec pack you download it won't do any good.

If you want the ease of use of one player without a ton of garbage or extra codecs then you should try VLC's biggest competitor FFDShow. The best FFDShow pack is CCCP. CCCP stays up to date with its codec support and supported players, Media Player Classic & Zoom. Click on my sig for CCCP's site to check it out.

I would rather FIX the problem and stick with VLC.

Here's something to read.

Probably you'll have to use another player, as VLC doesn't use external codecs. It looks like you don't have needed codec in VLC, and I don't think it's something you can fix yourself. Well, try latest version of VLC (if you don't have it installed now).

1) WHY isn't VLC playing .mkv's with audio: I thought it had mkv compatability.

Don't be too general. It has support of Matroska containers, but it doesn't have all possible codecs to decode audio (BTW, Matroska can contain audio streams compressed with different codecs).

2) Anyone experienced a similar problem, or know how I can fix this issue of not having audio.

Try contacting VLC support or use another player (with support of external codecs).

Here are some free codec packs to give a try. Personally, I prefer K-Lite & BSplayer/Media Player Classic from there (BTW, have a look at "Last update" & "Downloads" stats for codecs on that page). Also, GSpot tool from there is handy one; I'm using Codec Tweak Tool from there to fine-tune codecs in my system. Well, you may install whatever you wish, just remember to uninstall any codecs you already have or there may be conflicts between them.

First off, you don't need matroska packs to play matroska files. Haali media splitter is all you need and it plays the perfectly.

And second here, codec packs should be AVOIDED if possible since they can basically screw up your system. As already stated, ffdshow is probably the best filter collection all-in-one solution that doesn't screw up your system.

To recap, haali + ffdshow + player of choice should be able to play those files.

First off, you don't need matroska packs to play matroska files. Haali media splitter is all you need and it plays the perfectly.

And second here, codec packs should be AVOIDED if possible since they can basically screw up your system. As already stated, ffdshow is probably the best filter collection all-in-one solution that doesn't screw up your system.

First, tell me when and where I talked about "matroska packs to play matroska files". I said that Matroska containers can have audio streams coded in different ways, and for each coder (way) there must be appropriate decoder.

Matroska isn't a codec, it is a container that may require different codecs to be played.

I don't know where you took an "codec packs should be AVOIDED" idea from, but you should better have left it there ;) Personally, I use K-Lite for more than 2 years, and my system (WinXP SP2) can not and was not "screwed up" with it. K-Lite Mega IS a codec pack, and it doesn't modify any system critical files. It has anything I need for en-/decoding, and I don't think about other.

BTW...

K-Lite Codec Pack 2.73 Full, Standard and Basic - beta 1 updated

With the K-Lite Codec Pack you should be able to play 99% of all the movies.

Last update: 2 Jul 2006 | License: Freeware | Size: 18.3MB | Downloads: 9633576

Now tell me these 9.5+M downloads have screwed up 9.5+M systems %)

Use anything you like for yourself, but don't insist others should do the same when there are many alternatives.

Just let people make informed decisions by themselves.

First, tell me when and where I talked about "matroska packs to play matroska files". I said that Matroska containers can have audio streams coded in different ways, and for each coder (way) there must be appropriate decoder.

I don't think this was directed at you, but caf4926. Sorry for the confusion.

Matroska isn't a codec, it is a container that may require different codecs to be played.

I know full well what Matroska is :)

I don't know where you took an "codec packs should be AVOIDED" idea from, but you should better have left it there ;) Personally, I use K-Lite for more than 2 years, and my system (WinXP SP2) can not and was not "screwed up" with it. K-Lite Mega IS a codec pack, and it doesn't modify any system critical files. It has anything I need for en-/decoding, and I don't think about other.

No? Well, install it then use GraphEdit and open a file and you'll probably see how much junk filters it has added to the graph. Indeed, if you install wrong filters, it can for example make the video appear flipped. I've experienced this before and I have been keeping tabs on this like this. If you would ask in a forum concerning this kind of things, I think they too would tell you to avoid packs. Use ffdshow instead.

BTW...

Now tell me these 9.5+M downloads have screwed up 9.5+M systems %)

Use anything you like for yourself, but don't insist others should do the same when there are many alternatives.

Just let people make informed decisions by themselves.

It can work. Sometimes it won't, and even if it does work it still probably installs a lot of junk filters that are added to the grraph.

Also, ffdshow has the advantage of a lot of options, like post processing (deblocking among them), noise reduction, volume normalization, etc.

And that's why I recommend to stay away from them :)

Gelo, as you've probably gathered, VLC won't work for this. (Too bad, I like it a lot myself.) But this is an opportunity to review everything else out there, and see what you like best.

Your probably best off ignoring all the rest of this: Dark Shroud's a CCCP fanatic, and Const2k tries to savage anyone who suggests K-Lite isn't perfect -- makes you wonder if they're being paid off or something. Try both their suggestions, and try other players as well. It's a pain, I know, I've finally got VLC configured exactly the way I like it, keyboard shortcuts customized & memorized, and I just hate it when I have to use something else.

Using anything else means you'll have to add some additional filters, but that will be an individual experience. It might be painless for you, or it might be a trip to h*** and a sudden, intensive education in a subject you didn't want to know about, as it was for me. (Another reason we like VLC, not having to frak with all this.) Still, if you approach it carefully, set a restore point before you install anything else, and don't try to do too much at once, you'll find something that works well enough for you.

Or if you get desperate enough, you could convert the thing to something VLC can play. The Super converter can handle that format, (I don't know about other converters) but you'll still need the filter. I've done that for things I couldn't find in other formats and wanted a permanent copy of. It may be worth it to you. You can set a restore point, install the bleedin' filter, convert, then restore to get it out of there again.