To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

viewing downloads

<sigh> newbies.

some things cant be opened with windows media

try VLC media player, it can do most of em

All things can be opened in WMP, if you have the right codecs/splitter/etc. VLC is not a good player for many reasons. The most common are that it's codecs are way outdated, they have zero tech support, & it doens't use any external codecs so you can't fix the problems yourself but downloading up to date codecs.

Use media player clasic which you find inside k-lite codec pack and you can find it here.

http://www.k-litemegacodecpack.com/

this pack WILL solve your problem

Good Luck

That pack should not be used, it can huge problems. As a rule any codec pack with the word mega in its name should be advoided.

For standard play back you should try FFDShow. I can play almost anything; meaning all the common formats used and then some, just not the weird things like monkey audio. FFDShow is lightweight, it won't install tons of codecs that aren't needed. And it doesn't cause conflicts with other programs.

The best FFDShow codec pack is CCCP. It installs FFDShow, Media Player Classic, Haali Media Splitter. Or you can select no player during the install and use WMP. CCCP releases new versions every month and a half and they stay up to date on everything in the pack. B) Click my sig for CCCP's site.

<sigh> newbies.

All things can be opened in WMP, if you have the right codecs/splitter/etc. VLC is not a good player for many reasons. The most common are that it's codecs are way outdated, they have zero tech support, & it doens't use any external codecs so you can't fix the problems yourself but downloading up to date codecs.

That pack should not be used, it can huge problems. As a rule any codec pack with the word mega in its name should be advoided.

For standard play back you should try FFDShow. I can play almost anything; meaning all the common formats used and then some, just not the weird things like monkey audio. FFDShow is lightweight, it won't install tons of codecs that aren't needed. And it doesn't cause conflicts with other programs.

The best FFDShow codec pack is CCCP. It installs FFDShow, Media Player Classic, Haali Media Splitter. Or you can select no player during the install and use WMP. CCCP releases new versions every month and a half and they stay up to date on everything in the pack. B) Click my sig for CCCP's site.

<sigh> newbies.

Excuse me Mr Shroud, but clicking your signature doesn't work

Hi there.

Dark_Shroud, I need your help. You said about K-Lite:

I've been using this pack for a couple of years already, and haven't experienced any problems with it. I see you insist that K-Lite causes problems. I've just spent ~30 min googling for these, and found nothing worth mentioning (ironically, when I googled for "k-lite codec conflict" the first thread I saw reminded me of you :) ). So,

would you PLEASE tell everyone here, what's so problematic in K-Lite?

(I'd like to see links, not just words-words-words...)

I see you like CCCP a lot. Fine (I've never used it and I don't think I will). You may advertise it as much as you like. But don't say something bad about other packs without giving proofs.

I think K-Lite's and CCCP's stats on Free-Codecs.com speak for themselves...

kemphill, use "Edit" and "Delete" buttons on your posts instead of double-posting...

Like Const2k said free-codecs.com.

Install DivX 6.2.5+, Koepi's XviD Codec and AC3 Filter and you will be just fine in 98% of the time you need to watch something.

If you need to play .mkv or .ogg (2%) files install any codec's pack from this site but check only the options for those new files you need and leave the others unchecked.

Edited by dimchopicha2003 (see edit history)

From the CCCP wiki:

When a codec pack installs five decoders that do the same thing (as K-Lite does), it's almost impossible to work out what the problem is if something breaks. With the CCCP, we wanted to create a compact codec pack, which had less annoying extras, and fewer places for problems to crop up in.

There is a free utility called "GSpot" (hey, I didn't name it), used for diagnosing digital video problems. Feed it a video file, it will identify what video and audio codecs and filters the file needs, and which ones you have on your system that will handle that file.

You're likely only doing this because you're having playback problems. With something like K-Lite installed, you'll find there are five different things all trying to handle the same playback or conversion. Which one's actually being used? Which one's causing the problem? More than one? How could you tell? Just start blindly trying to uninstall them one by one? (That's a LOT of fun!) Is it a versioning problem and do you need to be looking for updates? To some of them? (Which one(s)?) Do you need to uninstall the old versions before the new ones will work?

You only have to go through this once to really appreciate CCCP's approach. Filters and codecs are worse than font files, for accumulating cruft. One of the big reasons that people like the VLC player is that it doesn't use the system filters at all, it has its own. (A disadvantage when it doesn't support some new format, though, because you can't fix it.)

K-Lite's approach is to assemble everything anyone could possibly ever need in one package. Maybe that's a little overboard. It does make solving problems really tough, when they crop up.

K-lite will install five different decoders if you let it to install them. There are options for everything. You can put a check only for those options you need (uncheck all other options) and do not use the options that are checked by default.. But first you must know what you need:

Install DivX 6.2.5+, Koepi's XviD Codec and AC3 Filter and you will be just fine in 98% of the time you need to watch something.

Don't look me. I have never used this k-lite or any other codec pack.

The packs that I am using are for unusual video files like *.mkv (Matroska Pack) and *.ratDVD (Satsuki Decoder Pack) with checked options only for enable playing those files and that's all.

I am watching movies and video files 24/7 and never had any problems using this method:

My video player - BSPlayer.

What do you think that most of the codec packs doing - they install:

DivX 6.2.5+, Koepi's XviD Codec and AC3 Filter
- gives you the option to play 98% of all movies and video files
+ 100 other codecs-decoders
- gives you the option to be unable to play any video file and make your system unstable.

My advise - never use and install the codec pack with the default checked options.

You can use any codec pack that you like as long as you know which options to check and which to uncheck.

All of the codec packs are pretty much the same.

Hi there.

From the CCCP wiki

Yes, an independent source of information on "K-Lite vs. CCCP" subject is CCCP authors' Wiki... How could I miss it? <_< Fine, let's check user's opinions then...

Obviously, kemphill didn't know which codec he needed (and, it seems to me, he hardly knew what is "codec" at all...) then. He's not the first, he's not the last, and everyone is/was in his situation. He just wanted simple solution that would allow him to watch his video. And installing codec pack is exactly it.

Next question is "which one"?

Dark_Shroud came along with his favourite CCCP & holy hatred towards others...

dimchopicha2003 diagnosed the "I have media player 10, but it says I need the correct codec" problem at first glance (real pro, I envy him :rolleyes: ) and advised to download a whole bunch of programs...

Then came kluelos and suggested GSpot (HANDy one ;) ). I'm sure he doesn't have K-Lite too, as K-Lite has a lot of handy tools within, like mentioned GSpot... (BTW, one of them is Codec Tweak Tool that lets user easily and effectively switch on/off codecs in OS without having to un-install anything). Though he's sure that K-Lite "does make solving problems really tough, when they crop up". Well, maybe... The problem is that for MANY users these problems DON'T crop up...

Const2k happily uses his K-Lite and doesn't even have an idea of changing it to something else (and he didn't even try CCCP or installing several programs at once to play one video file because of his K-Lite).

So let's make a deal, guys:

Those who want simple and easy (maybe even lazy :) )solution - go get the most widely spread codec pack;

those who want to tweak their codecs - choose your way (simple above (tweaking tools included) or more complicated - anything other) yourself;

those who know what they need definitely know where to get it from, so they skipped entire thread :)

those who know what others' need... Dark_Shroud, talk to us ;)

*edit*: kluelos, you've definitely seen

haven't you? ;)

and advised to download a whole bunch of programs...

Not whole bunch of programs Const2k but just the same 3 programs you are installing with your k-lite. :P ;)

It is completely the same "k-lite" or "DivX 6.2.5+, Koepi's XviD Codec and AC3 Filter". But along with these 3 programs k-lite install by default some other codecs and I personaly don't like them that's why I am installing the 3 codecs one by one.

The only difference between me and you will be that in C:\Program Files\ you will have one folder k-lite and in it there will be these 3 codecs and I will have 3 folders in C:\Program Files\ for these 3 codecs. That's it.

Everyone is free to choose the type of installation of the needed codecs. No matter which method you choose you need to know what you are doing and to know what you are doing kemphill - God Bless Google. :D The first place you should look for your problem is google. The second best place you can look if you don't know something is wikipedia.org. So for your problem read this and the links below and you will know more than you want you will be capable to solve your problem by yourself.

And this isn't the right forum to post such type of problems though.