To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Is Nero the best ?

RampageOC

nerovision is easy, good to start with just click and paste your files and if want to edit gamma ,sound, add menus and stuff, but while it is transcoding it will hog your system resources, so heads up

Nero is easy to use, but it has given me a great many problems and a great many ruined disks. The technical support has been awful.

The other big player in this market is Roxio. I found it very frustrating and unhelpful, and never manged to get it to the point where it might ruin a disk -- just never got all the way to actually trying to burn.

NeroVision is a fair conversion program provided you save the output to your hard disk, then use something else to actually burn the DVD.

I'd really recommend a minor player called "Ashampoo Burning Studio". It's given me far better results, and it's quite easy to use, but it will not do conversions from one format to another. It doesn't try to be an "All in one" solution like the other two. "ImgBurn" is a really good disk burner too, and it's free, but it's not nearly as easy to use.

All converters will take over your system, and will require hours to do the conversion. It's a complicated task. It's best to start them when you're going to be away from the computer for a while, or run them overnight.

Depends entirely on what you intend to do with it. I assume we're talking about digital video, just to be clear. Games, MP3's, flac's, ebooks, not relevant.

If you just want to watch, on your PC, you probably don't need to do any conversions at all. You just need a good player.

< #insert flames from Dark Shroud and Const2k>

A good player is defined as one that you are happy with.

If you want to watch them on your DVD player and television, then there's a second dependency: what does your DVD player support? Newer ones will support DivX and Xvid encoded movies on DVD+R's. That capability is now common and inexpensive. If yours doesn't support it, consider buying a new one, under US$100. If you have one that does, no conversion is required, just burn them as if they were data disks, and they'll work just fine.

If your player doesn't support it, or you want to be able to watch on any DVD player, then re-encoding is required for most cases. The DVD Video format is much older and less efficient that what's commonly used now. You will find SOME disk images for download, generally recognizable by being 4 gigs in size, which you can burn directly without conversion, but those will generally say so, or say they're disk images, or will simply be ISO files or BIN and CUE files.

But most of the movies you'll likely find for download will be in AVI containers, or other incompatible formats that need conversion before they'll work as DVD Video.

I've seen DVD players that will play .ogm files. My cousin's Toshiba will play almost anything, Divx, Xvid. I have to read the manual on mine but I want h.264 playback on a DVD player. My next player will be my PS3, yes I'm going to pay $600 for one because the $500 doesn't have full Blue-Ray support for DVD playback, it's a long story pm me if you want to know.

Anyway since the OS is Linux a lot of people (myself included) believe we'll be able to put MPlayer on it's HD. So bam a player that can play almost anything. B)

i entirely do not recommend ashampoo burning studio

i tried to burn a dvd with it, said it completed successfully, said it verified successfully, but then i couldnt access it

then tried in nero, it failed verification, and then realised it could be firmware update required

either way, ashampoo gave a successful verification report when it couldnt have even read from the dvd

• 2 weeks later...

My dvd player plays divx movies and also plays movie's i have so far downloaded of the net with nero :D now not a disk burning virgin :P lol .

Just one problem i have posted else where on this forum i will post in here now .

Hello i am using 4.7gb dvd+r's and have downloaded some TV shows . Problem is i can only fit 2 on to a disk and it is a 24 episode tv show so gonna do me 12 disk's how do i do it so 3 episodes can fit on to 1 disk ? i seemed to change some setting so it fitted 3 episodes on it said quality will be good . were as when i had 2 episodes it was excellent . But when i come to put the disk in and pressed burn it said disk not large enough any one help ?

I work nero by going to make ur own dvd video - then go to arrange video files and add them . There is a thing at the bottom that shows how much space left on disk next to this u can change it .

dvd-8cm - quality average

dvd - good

dvd-9 excellent

I add 3 files then go to dvd and it says quality good and shows i have used 4.6gb on disk so then i decode it it saves it to a fiel i then go to file and it burns to disk but says not even space ?

any one help please

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

well RampageOC as of what im doing i burn the file first to my harddisk via dvd using nero 7 after that i will compress it using dvd shrink.

Dvd shirnk will perform the final burning to your dvd disk. it will compress the dvd file (video ts) automatically retaining its video and audio quality.Just click the back up icon and ste your desired setting then click ok..oh be sure that your dvd disk is in your dvd rom..and let dvd shrink do the work.

DVD Shrink is quite old and no it doesn't do the burning either. It uses Nero (Not good for burning images) or DVD Decrypter(Burns well but it's newer burning only version Imgburn is a lot better).

If you like Shrink then try Nero Recode since its written by the same guy who wrote Shrink.

DVD Shrink is quite old and no it doesn't do the burning either. It uses Nero (Not good for burning images) or DVD Decrypter(Burns well but it's newer burning only version Imgburn is a lot better).

If you like Shrink then try Nero Recode since its written by the same guy who wrote Shrink.

well i think the dvd shrink can burn..i uses the dvd shrink coz you can manually compress and edit the dvd files. for example, you can burn 8 movies on a 4.7 dvd disk by compressing them, then let dvd shrink do the burning too. burning is much much faster than nero.it only took me 1-1.5 hour including the encoding and analysing time. not like nero it will take me 3-5 hours to burn a dvd..gheee i dont have that much time just to burn..

I never said to burn the file with Nero. I output to an .iso or .nrg and burn those with Imgburn. I said Nero Recode is more updated compared to DVD Shrink that hasn't been updated in over 2 years. The guy who wrote DVD Shrink stopped working on it because he was hired by Nero to make Nero Recode.

I have since switched to Clone DVD2 by slysoft, even though I still have a copy of Shrink on my computer.

As for encoding your video to dvd with nerovision, you can fit several tv show episodes on your dvdr disc, by simply changing your bit rate to make the project fit the disc.

The more episodes you squeeze on it, the lower the quality.

I have had five one hour shows (42min net) still look good, but 3-4 would be a better choice.

I will send you a PM with some info on Nero.

I can also provide you with a guide for encoding dvd with nerovision if you like.

As for burning, Alcohol 120% is perhaps the best for burning or mounting dics images.

Suspect