To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Locations folders questions

ashanta

This really belongs in the General Questions forum, since these things aren't related to BitComet.

My question is related to Bitcomet, because I'd like to know where Bitcomet located their favorites folders and their cache folder (all Internet traces) ? Maybe my question wasn't enough clear.

BitComet as such, doesn't have these things.

BitComet's built-in browser is based on Internet Explorer version 5. All installed instances of all versions of MSIE use the same settings, same security, same folders for pretty much everything, so its cache and your normal MSIE's cache are one and the same.

BitComet's disk cache is in physical memory, not on the disk drive, not accessible, and not of much interest either. It's just a buffer for disk writes. I assume that's not what you're interested in.

MSIE has always been very tightly integrated with Windows, much more so than any other web browser, so these are all Windows issues, not BitComet issues.

If you have something specific that you are trying to do, why not describe it and ask for help?

Kluelos,

Thanks for your reply.

My purpose is to erase all traces and privacy when surfing. Of course, is there isn't any folders where Internet datas are stored, I suppose I don't have to worry about this. I'm running Sandboxie and I wanted to integrate CometBird to Sandboxie.

Please use the "Fast Reply" option, unless there is a specific reason for quoting the post directlly prior to your own.

Edited by cassie (see edit history)

If you're replying to the message immediately above, there's no need to quote it, and especially not to quote it in full. You only need to quote when you are replying to one particular point, and even then, just quote what you're replying to.

------------

Bittorrent clients don't leave many traces behind them. This is partly because the connections that they make are dynamic enough to be the bane of some routers -- hundreds and hundreds of connections in just a few minutes, all over the net. Some routers just can't handle that.

BitComet doesn't even try to cache them. There's no point and it would actually hurt performance. The traces that are left are pretty minimal, and dependent on how you do things.

When you add a task to BitComet, it makes a record of that in the file, "downloads.xml", stored in the program directory. This is your task list. WHen you remove a task, it's deleted from that file.

When a task is added, BitComet copies the .torrent file to the torrents subdirectory off of the program directory. While you're running the task, you need it there. When you delete the task, that copy gets deleted too. If you have a copy of the .torrent file somewhere else (which we recommend), BitComet doesn't know about that file and doesn't delete it. It's up to you to take care of that.

Then there's the download itself, which you presumably already know about.

BitComet's good about cleaning up after itself, so I can't see where sandboxie would really have anything to do. You do have to worry about Windows and MSIE doing their "last ten documents" or "last ten websites" thing, but that's nothing to do with BC itself.

I understand what you mean about Cometbird, but, it's so hard to change my mind after many years using IE. It seems like a dream, discover that no chance to recover history, cookies, cache from my new browser Cometbird, to keep privacy !

Thanks Kluelos !

I don't know about other browsers but I'm using Firefox on WinXP to download the torrent files and I can also find all the .torrent files in the C:\Documents and Settings\%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temp (besides the Torrents folder). You might want to check that in Vista, too.

As a side note, The Disk Cleanup Wizard isn't able to clean them from there, even if you select the Temp folder. You can delete them manually though. Weird thing how windows isn't able to do even what it claims to do, huh? :D

I need to amend something that I said earlier. Newer versions of BitComet also keep copies of each torrent you have ever loaded, in a subdirectory off the program tree called "/archive".

This is cumulative. Torrents are added to this directory automatically when they are first opened, but they are not deleted unless you specifically choose that option when you delete the task. Otherwise the directory grows and grows and you must manually prune it.

"/archive" should therefore figure into your privacy concerns.

I didn't know about this before, and I am pushing for the addition of an "off" switch for it, but you do need to be aware that it exists.

Thanks kluelos, I didn't know about this one.

@ Dark_Shroud: I, for one, used both CCleaner and Comodo System Cleaner and both of them missed the .torrent files in the Temp folder even though I closed Bitcomet before and set them to clean the Temp folder. It's like they're plainly dumb about that. In the end I had to do it manually. :angry:

Edited by greywizard (see edit history)

It will be located in the Program Files/BitComet folder. Vista hides the real Program Files directory from you, and instead deflects you to a similar-looking location in your own Documents & Settings folder, so you've got to be sure you're really looking where you think you're looking.