To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

I Have Yellow Light

I'm directly connected to the Internet from my modum(?). The use of a router is pointless for me. Recently I had to get a new modum because my last one almost literally blew up on me. Thanks to the folks at AT&T they gave me a new one.

However, I started to get the yellow light and I have no idea why. I SHOULDN'T be getting it, but I am. I exhuasted every option out there including a pointless static ip address. From what I can tell none of my ports are open and I am thinking that this new modum is being tricked by BitComet as if it were a router.

Like I said I have no idea and I'm running off of making it up as a I go.

All I know is that its blocking my WAN IP...or something...which I never heard of until recently.

I just don't get it.

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

This may because your port forwarding is not configured properly. But if you can connect remote(incoming connections from remote), the yellow light will do not effect on your downloading, you will need to do nothing and ignore it. You can test whether you can get incoming connections or not:

Start downloading a torrent that has lots of seeds/peers (like 100+), wait 5 minutes then look in the detailed information section(bottom left of BitComet), click Peers. Under the 'Initiation' column on the bottom pane, look to see if some peers are listed as Remote or if they're all Local. Make sure you scroll all the way down the list and look at all of them.

If you have both "Remote" and "Local", it's a sign that your port forwarding is configured properly already and you will like i said above, do nothing then.

On the contrary, you will need to configure your port mapping manually, if you have a router, please read our guide in this forum how to setup port forwarding.

An open port is not something that you find, like a buried treasure. It's something that you set, like a thermostat, to whatever you're comfortable with.

You pick the port that you want. Look, just pick 65432. Why? Why not? Because I said so. Because it's hard to forget, you start at 6 and count backwards. You already spend more time fussing over it than it's worth.

If you're using the Windows built-in firewall, then turn on "ICF" in your BitComet preferences/options/whatever. If you're using a third-party firewall, uninstall it, use the Windows built-in firewall, enable ICF in the P/O/W. Having done this, BitComet will automatically open and close the port in the Windows firewall, for you, and you can forget about it.

This isn't nearly as hard as you are making it. The words may be unfamiliar but the concepts are simple.

You say you don't need a router. Ok, good. You don't have a router, then you don't have an EXTERNAL firewall in that router. So you don't have anything to forward a port through. If you don't have a router, don't have an external firewall, then you don't need to set up a static IP -- port-forwarding, static IP, all of that applies only to people using routers. None of it applies to you at all.

You MIGHT have a software firewall running on your computer, that you don't know about, but that's a separate issue. Your ISP might have your connection behind a firewall, and if it does there's nothing you can do about it, but that's a separate issue.

The one thing you absolutely do not want to ever do, is to connect to the Internet without a firewall. Do you get unwanted spam in your email? Most of it comes from people just like you, who connected without a firewall, got their machines compromised, and are unaware that they've been zombied, serving out spam and DDOS attacks at someone else's command. These guys don't want to wreck your machine. They want to keep you fat, dumb and happily ignorant while they make money off your computer and your network connection. It only takes a few minutes to be infected and zombied. Don't connect to the internet without a working firewall.

If the modem is the only change you made to your system when the problem occurred can you please tell me what brand and model is it? It's being asked for in the "Read this before posting" topics and announcements scattered all over the forums here that you apparently did not see/read.

Cheers!

@Number17: You're not very good at reading, are you? The man asked you very clearly:

...what brand and model is it?

Can you see the word "model" now? I've emphasized it for you. I believe Westell doesn't produce just one single type of modem, do they? How do you want the others to guess it then, since they're not magicians?

Of course, should you have read the rest of the phrase:

It's being asked for in the "Read this before posting" topics and announcements scattered all over the forums here that you apparently did not see/read.

then you would have known already, what I'm talking about. :D

Since other people are wiling to give up their spare time and help you, the least courtesy you can show is to provide them with all the info they need in order to do that.

I'm just going to throw this out there since I've been dealing with AT&T DSL for a few years now with various family members. I never though I would miss Comcast. Anyway most of their stuff now have firewalls in them among other things. If you have their Digital Voice or Voice over IP phone service as well then odds are it's a firewall router.