To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Happy New Year

sophia0316

Dear all users and staff,

Happy New Year to all!

Maybe this is a bit late, but my wishes are always here. :)

May you all have a happy year and all things goes well in the new year.

And our team will devote ourself to upgrading our software to a higher level.

Thank you for your support.

She'll wait and slip in a message on Chinese New Year and we won't know what she's talking about.

:lol: :lol:

And don't bother using Google for the translation... it's dreadful!! :P

PS - When is the Chinese New Year, by the way?

Lucky you... two New Year's celebrations! :D I hope that you have a very pleasant gathering with your family. :)

I might be way off but I'll ask anyway... according to the lunar calendar, what year will it be, on February 15? Is it possible that during one full Gregorian (Western) calendar year, the Chinese can have more than one lunar New Year? :huh:

:D

according to the lunar calendar, what year will it be, on February 15?

It's 2010. According to Chinese lunar calendar, Febrary 15 is the first day of 2010. So now we are still in 2009. But we use both lunar calendar and gregorian calendar. And they are not conflict. Our traditional festival and 24 solar terms are based on Chinese calendar, but in daily life, we use gregorian calendar. :lol: Hope you will not be confused.

Is it possible that during one full Gregorian (Western) calendar year, the Chinese can have more than one lunar New Year?

No. Usually, Chinese calander is about one-month later then common canlender(gregorian calendar). If the gap becomes larger, we will have two same months then. For example, we had two May in 2009, and two July in 2006. two Febrary in 2004.... I don't know how this is caculated.But it's prefixed, like common canledar.

:P It's interesting, right? But we are accustomed to this difference. Usually, when we ask "What date is it?" we are asking about date of common canledar. If we want to know what date of the Chinese calendar, we will ask "What date is it according to lunar canlender?"

It certainly is interesting. Thank you for the explanation. :)

The reason that I asked was that I had read somewhere, that the Chinese calendar dated back to 2697 B.C. ... so I thought that by using the Chinese calendar (355 days as opposed to 365), the actual year would be somewhere around 4700. :P Something similar to the Muslim/Islamic calendar (it stems from when Mohammed visited the Mecca, in 622 A.D.)... They also use a lunar calendar and they're in the year 1431...

LOL!! So do they also celebrate duplicate holidays?? :blink: :P

(*Hmmm... I think that I'm going to create my very own "Cat Calendar"... Saturday and Sundays will be weekdays, Monday - Friday will be the week-end, Official Nap Day... hmmm...*)

As far as I can tell, "work" involves getting me to open the door to let the cat out, or getting me to open the door to let the cat in, or complaining that dinner is not on time. Chasing things does not appear to count as "work" unless it is something a)fragile, and B) that I need.

So do they also celebrate duplicate holidays??
No.. according to their religion it's forbidden to eat or drink anything animal or party related until Christmas. That's why the hospitals are full with constipated (or any other digestive system related issues) people after the holidays.. It's like holding your breath for a few minutes, then you can't stop breathing for a while.

I eat and drink what I want, as much as I want, when I want. That's how I keep myself healthy and athletic.

As far as I can tell, "work" involves getting me to open the door to let the cat out, or getting me to open the door to let the cat in, or complaining that dinner is not on time.

'Ever hear of "cat flaps"? ;)

Chasing things does not appear to count as "work"

Nah... that what we call "leisure" while "staying in shape"... :rolleyes:

...unless it is something a)fragile, and B) that I need.

It's "work" because it's how we manage to keep our owner's reflexes 'in shape'... :lol:

it's forbidden to eat or drink anything animal or party related until Christmas

So become a vegetarian for a while... ;)

That's why the hospitals are full with constipated (or any other digestive system related issues) people after the holidays..

Over-compensation for anxiety, huh? I can just picture it... lamb and kid/goat gluttony, at its peak...:P

lamb and kid/goat gluttony, at its peak...
It's worse, actually. Christmas eve is celebrated as "The pig murder day" (Ignat) There are some traditions about that day that would make you laugh and cry at the same time..

So it's mainly pork gluttony.

Oh, hey, in Spain that 'activity' (matacía) is celebrated on the 11th of November (San Martín de Tours).

When I said lamb and kid, I guess that I was thinking more of Greek traditions... :P

Uh, no (*thank goodness*). :blink:

It's just a straight-forward sacrificing of the animals (in vast numbers, mind you) and the beginning of the various processes - curing of the hams (similar to Italian 'prosciutto'), morcilla (blood sausages), and all sorts of delicious 'deli-style' (I don't know of a proper translation for charcutería...) meats like chorizo (similar to pepperoni), salchichón, butifarra, morcón, etc..

The consumption of these prepared meats is year-round but, starting in early November, their production more than cuadruples, in preparation for the Christmas Season. Bear in mind that, in Spain, the Christmas holidays span from Christmas Eve (Dec 24th) all the way to Epiphany (Jan. 6th) - right after the Three Wisemen leave the toys for the little ones - so the amount of food and sweets ingested during this time, is excessive... to say the least. :D

That's a tough one, so get ready for it: the English translation is "charcuterie". The concept and the term were pretty much lifted wholesale. Err, borrowed. All right, stolen. But nothing much that you find there would surprise. Well, except maybe for Cajun boudin.

the English translation is "charcuterie"

Well I'll be 'dan-gged'... I never even thought about using a French...errmm... a "borrowed" term. :lol:

I gotta 'member that, 'fer next time! :P

I gotta go eat something.

Vite, vite ... et Bon Appétit!! :D

• 3 months later...