To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Scheduler Issue in BitComet v 1.17

DIABLO

I've searched in the forums and found similar posts made by members; but still none of them exactly helped me out. I'm using BitComet for the past 2 years; and I'm more than satisfied by it's performance. Yet, I need assistance in a couple of things, if possible:

1. From the V1.15 (or so), the scheduler in BitComet fails to auto-stop at the scheduled time. I've set it to turn all traffic to null at 8 A.M. everyday; but the latter versions just jeep on doing their work, just like in the peak times. If I stop a certain task (inside the time slot where it should be idle, say 8.10 A.M. in my case) and try to resume; it works fine, showing the gray triangle; as 'queued, awaiting proper time schedule'. But if I am to do so manually; what's the point of a scheduler!

I've checked with some other torrent applications like Bit & U-torrent; where the application is perfectly synchronized with the system clock.

BitComet being lightning fast; it can do quite a damage on my time & amount limited connection :lol: So, kindly help me out here.

2. My system & ISP configurations are given below; is there any possible way(s) to hike my traffic rates (other than port forwarding and the tweaks provided in forums, because I've tried them all) ?

Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0 & AMD Sempron 2.2

Windows XP sp3 & sp2

2 GB DDR1(533 MHz) & 1 GB DDR1(400 MHz)

2Mbps Broadband connection (Dynamic IP)

Nokia-Siemens C-2110 ADSL (UPnP enabled)

I used to get around 250kBps (Download) about a year ago in BitComet; which now dropped to 200-210kBps. The rates are high with other downloads like an accelerator assisted download (and hence it rules out the ISP bandwidth capping, I guess). I'm not behind any proxy or firewall & I'm using Eset NOD v 3.0.64.

3. Apart from the moving of the servers; BitComet takes quite a long time to log in (BC passport; current score: 11607) & to have a lock in the port status. It often get stuck in the 'blocked' status, and I've to recheck multiple times to get a green.

4. I've come across many third-party tools that boast to speed-up the BitComet, but is there any truth in their claim ?

P.S. : Of all the tweaked torrent tools I've used; BitComet is the clear winner. I don't know how you guys do it; but BC is faster about 20-25kBps than Vuze, Bit/U Torrent & Bit Spirit; in my connection. Hats off to you for that.

There's a whole thread on the subject of speed, and it's also discussed extensively in the FAQ.

Also in the FAQ, bittorrent transfers are entirely unrelated to http/ftp downloads: what speeds you may get for those downloads mean absolutely nothing regarding provider rate capping for bittorrent: you're comparing apples and poodles.

There is no standard rate. Also in the FAQ, your rate depends on a great many factors which are constantly changing and mostly out of your control -- such as how many other people are in the swarm, how fast their connections aggregately are, how good the connections between you and them are. There are other factors that you CAN control, but ... those are in the FAQ.

You can also search the forum, where we've discussed so-called accelerators before. To recap it: their authors know "the seekrit", which the poor, dumb authors of BitComet, µtorrent, Azureus, just aren't bright enough to figure out about how to make their clients much faster? You are comfortable with this? If you will take the time to learn a bit about how bittorrent works, and then read with new and informed eyes, the claims made by the accelerators, it will become clear to you that these are merely plausible-sounding lies for the gullible. Some of them want money. Others do not. I think I'd worry more about the ones that don't.

BitComet is not, as we've pointed out, faster than any other client. Among the big three clients (or four, or five if you're including Mac and Linux), there is no theoretical or practical basis for any difference in speed due purely to the client. Any of them, properly configured and in parallel circumstances, is as fast as any other. If there were one clear winner, we'd all be using it.

Like most internet applications, the network itself is such a huge bottleneck that performance differences between individual clients pale to utter insignificance. Where you see differences, you see non-comparable circumstances which often include mis-configuration.

Issues with the scheduler are the subject of ongoing corrections. You should keep abreast of these issues and download the latest beta as soon as it is released to check for changes in this area.

Just to add to what kluelos said, if you have a 2Mb/s connection that means you can get a theoretical maximum of 2 x 106/213 = 244KB.

But bear in mind that this is the theoretical maximum and that real life networks seldom meet the testing conditions from the labs where this maximums were reached.

You also need to take into account and subtract from that maximum, the overhead protocol traffic (TCP, UDP, BT, HTTP) implied by your client.

So, your speeds of 200-210KB seem very close to the maximums that you may get for your connection's advertised bandwidth.

The behavior of your status light seems typical for a problematic UPnP NAT port mapping. If that's your case, you should disable UPnP NAT mapping and perform a manual port forwarding to ensure that you always have an open port.

While UPnP NAT port mapping works fine in many cases, it depends on both your Windows version of UPnP and your router's. If they're not entirely understanding each other there may be problems of a more or less serious kind.

Therefore, whenever this type of issues occur it's a good idea to disable UPnP NAT port mapping in BC and your router and perform a manual port forwarding.

Thanks a lot for the replies. Sorry that the lion's share of my queries where already in FAQ & general discussions; but I just attached them along with my main issue; the scheduler.

210-220kBps sure is a healthy download rate in a 2Mbps connection; but I wonder how I was blessed with 295-320kBps for about 6-7 months in BitComet; with the very same configuration (hardware & software), also if bandwidth capping is to be ruled out while using BC.

I don't know how many will agree with me; as I have tweaked all possible tweaks from forums & net in Vuze/BitComet/Bit Torrent/U-Torrent & Bit Spirit; and YES, BC is REALLY fast during the comparison; about 20-25kBps fast. I don't know if it is related with the BC passport system; being able to secure more long-time seeds as your experience increases.

I tried the port forwarding; but it secures the same traffic rates; so I switched back to UPnP & dynamic/random port scheme.

I still am having trouble with the scheduler; which fails to stop the traffic at the specified time.

From the V1.15 (or so), the scheduler in BitComet fails to auto-stop at the scheduled time. I've set it to turn all traffic to null at 8 A.M. everyday; but the latter versions just jeep on doing their work, just like in the peak times. If I stop a certain task (inside the time slot where it should be idle, say 8.10 A.M. in my case) and try to resume; it works fine, showing the gray triangle; as 'queued, awaiting proper time schedule'.

Diablo, this is a bug. Your setting can not take effect the first time, you need to set it twice so that it can take effect. This expected to be fixed in next version 1.18. Thank you for your support.

:o That worked ! Scheduler now works like a charm ! No issues, also enabled the 'Automatic Shutdown'(Quit) at the time I want to terminate the connection/application. No prob in this section now.

:rolleyes: Thanks A Lot.