To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

possible infection ?

I need to install comet bird again AFTER AVG DECIDED THAT C/PROGRAM FILES COMETBIRD /MOZCRT19.DLL WAS INFECTED. Has anyone else had this problem . I had problems downloading updates for wow aswell avg seemed to think that the updates were a virus and tried to block me from playing wow. :blink:

Well, the obvious answer is in the topic's title itself.

We can't scan your system for you.

There are online scanners from Kaspersky, Panda, Eset, BitDefender (and others) as well as free spyware scanners such as Spybot Search & Destroy and Malware Bytes. All you need to do is run them and verify your system.

Heck, you could even boot from a live Windows CD and run your virus scans from there, to be sure.

It's all up to you.

And the fact that your CometBird copy doesn't run now, doesn't excuse you from paying attention where you post on the forum.

It's a minimum sign of courtesy.

The fact that AVG detects threats that don't exist is well known. I can't say for sure if you really do have an infection or not, but I can tell you that I've scanned and installed 3.6.6 using Kaspersky and McAfee, and no threats were found.

I also consider either of these anti virus programs fare better then AVG (huge understatement).

Well, the obvious answer is in the topic's title itself.

We can't scan your system for you.

There are online scanners from Kaspersky, Panda, Eset, BitDefender (and others) as well as free spyware scanners such as Spybot Search & Destroy and Malware Bytes. All you need to do is run them and verify your system.

Heck, you could even boot from a live Windows CD and run your virus scans from there, to be sure.

It's all up to you.

And the fact that your CometBird copy doesn't run now, doesn't excuse you from paying attention where you post on the forum.

It's a minimum sign of courtesy.

thanks for the advice i forgot about spyware .It was a mistake posting this subject in the wrong place sorry .I am a seeder but i have no courtesy for others <_<

If either of the members can lookup the suspected threat on AVG database and provide a link we'd be grateful. I'm fairly certain this is a problem with AVG, and you can probably get them to remove this definition from their database if you report it to them. I personally wouldn't believe an AVG report, nor would I use their anti-virus programs. If you want another free AV, then you can try Avast. I don't consider either to be anywhere near as effective as programs like Kaspersy or Mcafee, but it's hard to really say something bad about a free program, so my best advice is to get in touch with them about this and help them improve their product.

You should also become familiar with the process of excluding a detected threat, so it won't stop you from using a program.

I look at it this way. If they can't tell you exactly what the threat is, and what it does, then it means they really don't know, and you need to get a second opinion. If any of the online scanners find the same threat, then I'd be worried, but if only AVG thinks it's a threat, then you just need to get AVG to ignore it until they can remove the definition from their database.

When a program like AVG reports an infection, be aware of the term, "heuristics". It's a $10 word that means "behavior"

When you see a "heuristic" detection, it means that in this software's opinion, the thing is behaving like malware. Question is, WHICH malware? What, exactly, does your antivirus think that this is or might be?

AVG's answer is, "I'm not gonna tell you." That's a problem. How can you reliably determine whether it's a false positive, if you don't know what it's a false positive OF?

Grisoft figures that since AVG is free, or at least the common version of it is, that they don't need to bother. Trouble is, even with the paid version heuristic detections aren't identified.

What AVG does detect identifiably, it does well. What it detects heuristically, not so much. I would never take AVG's word for a heuristic detection, I'd run it past something more trustworthy, and something willing to tell me what it thinks this might be so that further investigation is possible. But also, that if something I do trust says there's nothing to worry about, I feel quite comfortable ignoring whatever AVG says about the matter.

Any report from AVG that has "HEU" anywhere in it is suspect and needs to be verified against something else before it's taken seriously.

When a program like AVG reports an infection, be aware of the term, "heuristics". It's a $10 word that means "behavior"

When you see a "heuristic" detection, it means that in this software's opinion, the thing is behaving like malware. Question is, WHICH malware? What, exactly, does your antivirus think that this is or might be?

AVG's answer is, "I'm not gonna tell you." That's a problem. How can you reliably determine whether it's a false positive, if you don't know what it's a false positive OF?

Grisoft figures that since AVG is free, or at least the common version of it is, that they don't need to bother. Trouble is, even with the paid version heuristic detections aren't identified.

What AVG does detect identifiably, it does well. What it detects heuristically, not so much. I would never take AVG's word for a heuristic detection, I'd run it past something more trustworthy, and something willing to tell me what it thinks this might be so that further investigation is possible. But also, that if something I do trust says there's nothing to worry about, I feel quite comfortable ignoring whatever AVG says about the matter.

Any report from AVG that has "HEU" anywhere in it is suspect and needs to be verified against something else before it's taken seriously.

The problem is even I "Ignore" the AVG report, it kept on blocking The CB and the 3.6.6 was not be able run since then.

@ TUUS: Actually, Avira and even Avast scored slightly better than Kaspersky (yeah, I know) in the latest couple of tests at AV-Comparatives.org; in the On-Demand Test of February 2010 and Avira kept very close to Kaspersky (at the top of the platoon) in the Proactive Test (a.k.a. heuristics) of May 2010, too.

Of course, I don't rely only on this site to say that, but Avira comes in the Top 5 on any testing site I've seen.

Anyway, out of the free products out there, Avira and Avast are definitely the best, IMHO. And Avast even gets updated several times a day.

They also passed the VB100 test on ViruBulletin.

OTOH McAfee seems to have gone way downhill in the last time.

So, I'd say that for a free product they offer great value.

uplandrice, please don't quote the entire message you're replying to. Use the quote function very sparingly, if at all. It just pads the forum with repeated information. Quotation is only necessary when you're replying to some particular part of a post, and then, only quote that small part that you're addressing. Otherwise, just use the "Reply" button.

Ignoring AVG means you also have to disable or uninstall it, otherwise it will continue to sequester what it detects, depending on AVG's settings. If you're not going to uninstall it and install something else, then you'll need to at least disable AVG when you install CometBird, thereafter you'll need to do whatever is required to tell AVG to ignore the .dll it doesn't like.

Hi Redzippy.

I had the same problem as you YESTERDAY. My beloved cometbird would not start

so I uninstalled and reinstalled an older 3.6.3 and all went fine. Today it updated

itself to 3.6.6 and no problems so far.

I use AVG and cometbird and I love them both.

I print-screened the errors recieved yesterday and created a PDF so others could see:

It's attached and also here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gjrz1byw0yk/AVG-cometbird.pdf

Don't know what it was but glad it is all working now.

-cheers.

AVG-cometbird.pdf

Geeze, don't DO that. Don't turn it into a .pdf file, there's no point. Don't upload it to someplace like mediafire where it has to be downloaded and opened in acrobat.

It's just a picture. Leave it as a .jpg and upload it to someplace like flickr that deals with pictures. Then post that flickr link.

I nearly didn't bother with this because of the .pdf hoops I had to jump through to no purpose at all. Fair warning, next time I won't.

The most cursory of network searches for the supposed threat, "dh.caff82037e", would have revealed to you that AVG is admitting this is a false positive detected in multiple innocent applications, and that they say to update your definitions. This was right there in the first couple of hits that Google returned to me, not even a little bit difficult to find.

You've got to be more on the ball here, and take steps to help yourself.

If you had done this, you'd have seen for yourself why people distrust AVG, instead of having us lead you by the hand and tell you why. Now you know. If you keep using AVG, then you have to do it responsibly, and check out its results for yourself. You need to make sure you're not wasting support time reporting another known false positive from it.

I woke up this morning to find that i could not open cometbird .there was a warning message from avg but i was to tierd to see it properly . Its ashame because i have used avg for years and it cleard this virus i had a few years back . anyway avg is gone i might use the norton 360 i have on my other pc . :(

ignoring AVG means you also have to disable or uninstall it, otherwise it will continue to sequester what it detects, depending on AVG's settings. If you're not going to uninstall it and install something else, then you'll need to at least disable AVG when you install CometBird, thereafter you'll need to do whatever is required to tell AVG to ignore the .dll it doesn't like.

lol if I didn't know that then I shouldn't be allowed to use a pc :D

• 1 month later...

My, you're full of self-righteous judgments about how everyone else should behave -- ignorant, opinionated and very full of yourself.

So sorry that we don't live up to the standards you were expecting.

You should probably leave, preferably in a huff, and go elsewhere for your support, huh?

• 2 weeks later...