To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

VIP Accelerate

Patster_NZ

Hello, and greetings from New Zealand.

I just subscribed for five bucks worth of VIP hi-speed, and have to say not over the moon about it. I started a 1.3Gb download which kicked off at about 32kbps and thought, yeah! The VIP should knock the spots off this! - WRONG! It actually made no difference to the download speed even with some 20+ connections.

The annoying factor is that as soon as you activate the VIP option, the broadband is calculated and accordingly reduced straight away, and then you find that the speed is not improved at all! I also tried a download from our friends torrents.ru simultaneously, and the download speed kicked in at 175 kbps without touching the VIP option.

Question: Is the VIP worth it when you add the cost of a large download to any additional ISP broadband extra charges for increased broadband usage?

Best regards to all.

Pat

Hello again,

Sorry for posting in the wrong section :unsure: , just got to learn how these forums work.

When you move an incorrect posting, where does it get moved to?

Thanks for the reply.

Kind regards, Pat.

:rolleyes:

@ Patster_NZ: The topic gets moved in the section where the moderator chooses to move it (usually the most appropriate section). The mod has the option to leave a link to the new location, in the previous section or not.

Topics whose posters are deemed to have made an honest mistake, or which were moved later (e.g. from the General section to Bug Reports section, after establishing unequivocally that a certain issue is related to a bug) usually are left a link in the initial section, so that the author/users can find it from there, too.

OTOH topics whose authors simply ignore the forum posting rules, repeatedly or blatantly don't pay any attention to the posting requirements and guidelines for that respective section, are incomplete or don't make much sense, get moved without leaving a link in the initial section.

The author and other users can still find it, via his/her own personal panel or by simply using the search function to search the forums for its title.

Hello & greets from NZ.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I'm not particularly worried about the 5 bucks, where I was coming from is that I was looking at downloading a 40GB+ torrent, and not wishing to buy $25 worth of VIP, only to find it made no difference to the download. Again, it's the issue of once you have clicked the VIP enabled, the broadband allowance is immediately decreased, regardless of the download speed.

So, I don't know the workings of how the VIP servers speed things up, but is it not relative to the number of peers/seeds connected? I use PF Config to forward the port and update my router, and afterwards, my dreaded yellow light goes green, so I assume the problem not to be at my end. I have spoken to my ISP, and they assure me there is no 'throttling' of P2P activity.

Anyway, enough of your good time has been taken up, and it is very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Pat.

First let me clearly state that I'm not part of the development team, therefore I don't know all the ins and outs of VIP yet, so to speak, as it's still in an early stage.

However, what I want to clear out is the thing you mention (the VIP server decreases the "bandwidth" as soon as you select a task). The fact is that the respective term stands rather for "traffic quota" (as in amount of data transferred from VIP server - e.g. measure unit: GB) than for real bandwidth (as in data amount transferred per time unit - e.g. unit measure: MB/s or GB/s).

I've signaled the team earlier that this misuse of the term "bandwidth" will lead to confusion among users, but apparently the Chinese term that the interface uses to describe this "traffic quota" thing, has a translation in English that comes closer to "bandwidth" than to "traffic or download quota", so they decided to stick with the current name for now. At least that's the explanation we got.

You'll find this term used frequently in this way, on the Usenet providers' sites, where it has the same meaning (traffic quota).

Anyway, it stands to reason and logic that any server can't neither grant nor limit your REAL bandwidth (as in how much data your connection can transfer per time unit - e.g. MB/s) since it uses the Internet to send data to you (it would have to control the whole path between it and you to be able to grant you a steady speed as high as that). Besides, if this term referred to real bandwidth instead of traffic quota, what good would it do to you that the server granted you a 10GB/s download pipe, if you had a lousy 4Mb/s Internet connection?

I don't know the real UP/DOWN speeds of the server but they're supposedly much higher than those of a residential connection (that's the whole idea behind this service) so that it will be a very desirable peer in the swarm and supposedly acquire the data faster than you would manage to, then relay it back to you, at YOUR connection's max capabilities.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what this VIP acceleration is supposed to do, but it isn't worth the $5 for 10gb of unaffected downloading. I used it to download two tasks and used up 8.8gb with no change at all in speed. I was expecting at least a tad improvement, but I actually think it slowed down. Are there bugs or what?

I don't know what this VIP acceleration is supposed to do, but it isn't worth the $5 for 10gb of unaffected downloading. I used it to download two tasks and used up 8.8gb with no change at all in speed. I was expecting at least a tad improvement, but I actually think it slowed down. Are there bugs or what?

Hi,

I suggest you make a new topic with your question, and you can also send a PM with your cometID username and torrent hashcode to Lucy26 (Administrator). She can look into it for you, but rest assured we don't want people feeling unhappy with the purchase.

In general terms, when VIP is used, our high speed servers join the swarm on your behalf, and because they can upload much faster to the swarm, they can receive from the swarm much faster too. You will see the most increase on torrents where the user has a lower upload speed and is unable to acquire connections with the fastest peers. When the vip servers get the data for you, they are then able to send it to you at the maximum speed your connection will allow.

It is a brand new service, so there will be some growing pains in it's development, but we do have many users who are very happy with the increased performance. However, it can't do the impossible, and a torrent that has only one initial seeder (for example), won't be able to send the data to the vip servers any faster then their upload speed allows, so in some cases you may not see much advantage.

I was wondering if anybody's had a pleasant experience with VIP Acceleration, and if so, could they briefly describe what took place? I would like to examine and weigh the negative and positive aspects of VIP Accelerate, before I commit to any financial obligations.

Thanks

I was wondering if anybody's had a pleasant experience with VIP Acceleration, and if so, could they briefly describe what took place? I would like to examine and weigh the negative and positive aspects of VIP Accelerate, before I commit to any financial obligations.

Thanks

I think you'll find that most users take the time to come here and post only if there is a problem, but with over 2.5million bitcomet users daily, I can assure you many use the service and are happy with it, but like all new features I'd expect it to improve with time.

I think users with limited upload bandwidth will find it the most useful because our high speed servers can upload far faster then any ordinary residential internet connection, therefore getting the data in a fraction of the time and sending it to the user as fast as their connection could support.

However, there is no reason anyone needs to purchase this service. BitComet will download your files as fast as your connection and the resources you connect to will allow. If you do want to try vip service, I suggest you think of it as a way to help support bitcomet, which is after all a free product.

• 4 weeks later...

Quite a few people seem to have shut off their brains and want to think of VIP acceleration as magic pixie dust that will somehow dramatically increase their connection speeds.

It won't, of course. The only way to do that is to purchase (and pay for) a faster connection from your ISP.

What VIP acceleration WILL do is to help you to use all of it, or at least more of it, the connection speed you do have.

However if you are already experiencing download speeds that max out your connection, nothing will help. IF IT COULD, I ASSURE YOU IT WOULDN'T BE NEARLY SO CHEAP. BitComet could pretty much charge whatever they liked for it, way more than you're being asked to pay, if it matched your evident expectations. A healthy shot of realism is prescribed.

Minor, incremental benefit at minor, incremental price. Test it to see if it helps with your particular connection. But if you were expecting the Earth to move, well, no, it won't.