To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

TORRENT SITES

fbkarat

I've been using bitcomet for week now with no problems. All of a sudden when I click on any torrent site in the channels panel on the left hand side I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message, but I can browse to any site no problem. It only happens when I click on the torrent site in bitcomet. Could someoone help me out?

Since none of you have stated which version of BitComet you are using, I won't either (I'll let you guess ;) ).

BitComet uses an aged version of Internet Explorer, while the majority of users use a more updated version and/or a different browser, altogether. Since the listed (at one time, titled "Favourites") torrent websites update without alerting or consulting with anyone around, and if you can access said websites by using your favourite browser, why not bookmark them in your usual browser, anyway?

It is much easier to bookmark a favourite torrent website in your usual browser and be able to forget about whether the site has "updated" (many are well-known for doing this, by the way) yet again. (In fact, apart from myself, there is a multitude of BitComet users that has been using this alternative method for years.)

I'll add that that list has not be updated for many years, and that many of the listed sites no longer exist.

When it WAS being updated, people would complain that a favorite of theirs had disappeared from the list when it was changed. This was not a good idea in the first place. The pane should be replaced with something else.

If the atcomet.com website is down, then you won't be able to browse torrent sites from within bitcomet. This is not a problem with your computer it's a problem specific to the atcomet website and will be fixed when time permits. In the meantime you can simply browse to the torrent sites directly in your favorite browser.

Oooohh, not a good idea, at all. Turn that firewall back on... immediately.

Now, go and deeply scan your system for any sort of nasties, that have probably walked in nonchalantly, whilst your firewall was turned off (using you AV, antispyware/malware/root kits, etc.).

I have figured out the problem. I disabled windows firewall, I guess windows firewall blocked out all those sites.

When you turn on your firewall they will still work, the firewall wasn't the problem, as I stated earlier, the problem is with the search engine atcomet.com and it's been fixed.

Although our forum staff has stated this more times then I can count, I'll say it one more time to hopefully stop these posts. BitComet and the Atcomet search engine are both free services and are maintained by volunteers. Rest assured if the atcomet site goes down it will get fixed and in the meantime all you have to do is use your favorite browswer to open the torrent site of your choice, it may take a couple extra clicks, but a lot less then it takes to make a post asking why it's not working.

ps. thank you to the development team for fixing the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

as much as we all wish the links / browser / search / etc... would work, we are just going to need to realize that the programers are working on more pressing issues ( like the shutdown problems) let them work and I promise you that they will tell you if the eventually fix it..... that being said, Bitcomet is still the best torrenting program out there.