To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

BitComet has screwed my Firefox ver 18.0.2

chuckit01

I installed BitComet and started looking at the Torrent Sites entries. These worked except those links which required for me to be registered. So I registered. Big mistake. Now my Firefox returns a URL error fo any atcomet.com entry, even when BitComet isn't loaded. IE seems to work OK.

We've been urging BitComet to remove the Torrent Sites list, for a long time.

A casual look at it reveals that it is many years out of date. It still shows Mininova, for example, and Demonoid, sites which are both shuttered. When the list WAS being maintained by anyone, updates caused lots of complaints as somebody's favorite site was removed.

For FIreFox you should be able to simple delete any entry you're having problems with. You don't need ATComet involved at all. Just go directly to the site and bookmark it.

The atcomet.com website is simply a search engine based on google. It's a free service that bitcomet offers and unfortunately being a free service there aren't staff on duty 24/7 to immediately fix any problems, so every now and then the site will go down and we get our forum filled with panicked members wanting to know why something is broken. If you understand that it's only a shortcut to get you to the internet, then you'll know not to panic and just go directly to your browser if it's not working, as kluelos mentioned.

The list of torrent sites is of value to new filesharers who don't know where to find torrents, and I agree the list is extremely outdated, but then again, the fact that there is no one paid to maintain it, so it's been ignored. Hopefully at some point in the future it will be renovated with a fresh upto date list and rechecked regularly, but we all have our day jobs and maintaining such a list requires work.

Thanks fo the replies. I've seen other posts with the bad links theory, but sorry, it just isn't true. If I start Firefox and type in www.atcomet.com it returns with a url failure and it keeps doing it as it tries to re-direct to the home page. THE LINKS WORKED BEFORE I REGISTERED. It was the act of registering that screwed Firefox.

Actually Firefox looked quite happy after the screwing, the look on it's face said it all.

It is only you who's sulking because you've been left out of the equation (sic !). :ph34r:

However, on a more serious note, what my fellows tried to explain to you above is that the links from inside Bitcomet redirect you through the at.comet site before leading you to the target sites.

When at.comet is down then the error page is as far as you'll get by following that way.

If you're in a hurry to get on any of the target sites just open a browser and navigate to the intended site directly, that way you won't have to pass through at.comet.

Sadly it is not me who has missed the point, people are not reading my postings. I SAY AGAIN. IF I START FIREFOX INDEPENDENTLY AND ENTER www.atcomcet.com IT RETURNS A URL FAILURE (all day every day), whereas IE works fine. If I set my default browser to IE that works OK either from the links in BitComet or from a directly typed URL. The fact that you don't like this doesn't stop it from being a fact.

The difference between wisdom and stupidity is that the wise have learnt to listen.

what websites did you visit that required you to register?

Also, regarding this...

I SAY AGAIN. IF I START FIREFOX INDEPENDENTLY AND ENTER www.atcomcet.com IT RETURNS A URL FAILURE

I would expect firefox to return a failure if you misspell the domain name, it's "atcomet.com" not "atcomcet.com".

Also, the advise you were given was not to use atcomet.com website, rather to go directly to the torrent site of your choice since atcomet.com wasn't working at the time. It's now been fixed and should work .

I registered using the box in the bottom left corner of BitComet.

Of course I can go directly to a website, but that's a cop out.

I am certain that it has nothing to do with mistyped domain names or down time on the atcomet site (unless the downtime was selective and only applied to Firefox users).

When I boot to a Windows 8 partition and run Firefox (which uses a different Firefox database it works OK).

I have now copied my Windows 8 Firefox database to Windows 7 and it now works correctly too.

All this shows is that the URL name translation of atcomet.com was screwed up.

The only act act carried out between it working and it not working was registration.

Please answer this question.

what websites did you visit that required you to register?

Bitcomet doesn't operate any torrent sites, if you visited a torrent site that required you to register and that website damaged your computer, then we would like to know so we can investigate it.

Regarding atcomet.com, we (forum staff) knew the website was down and advising users how to get to their torrent sites without using atcomet isn't a "copout", it's being helpful.

Our forum staff doesn't run atcomet.com and if the website doesn't work, you can either bypass it, or just stop what you're doing and wait for it to be fixed, we don't have any other options to give you. If this answer isn't good enough for you then please go take it up with bitcomet, we are a community forum and we are here to help people, not to register complaints.

Thank You