Comet Forums
Synapsys

Newbie here

Hi all the team, i'm french newbie here & i'm pleased that you have also french section in the forum treating about biTorrent. :)

Cheers !!

Bienvenue depuis ici, aussi! :-)

Welcome from here, as well!:-)

@ Rhubarfian, I hope that your French is less rusty than mine, lol.

Peut-etre mon vieux, mais il n'y a pas des accents Francais ici - seulement les accents Irlandais

Nice to see more French members. Currently the french forum is dormant, we had a few french staff members over the years, but none stuck around and I kept the forum up in case there is more interest in the future. 

Well, accents or no accents (Irish accents??), the French that I've forgotten far outweighs that which I still remember, LOL.

In Irish we lengthen vowels with a 'siniu fada' (same as the French accent acute). Leaving it off can change the meaning of a word 'sean = old', Seán = John' (that's actually pronounced shaann and not 'shawn'), 'séan = deny' (oh and Éire means 'Ireland' but eire means a heavy weight) LOL

Wow! You learn something new every day. I have stamps from Éire and knew that it meant Ireland (I used to collect stamps eons ago) but never knew about the accents and their effect on the pronounciations... very interesting. Would the correct pronounciation for Éire be a long "e" as in English ("ee" as in 'three') or a short one ("e" as in 'correct')? Yeah, I'm very curious by nature... :)

It all depends - Irish is full of diphthongs and triphthongs. In this case it's EH-ruh while eire it err-uh