To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet 1.52 - TROJAN

On 8/25/2018 at 3:57 AM, No1Else said:

So why it is available for download from BitComt archive ?

Like Rhubarb has repeated, if you are wondering where the OFFICIAL BitComet archive page (where you can download any version) is, it is here-->https://www.bitcomet.com/en/archive .

If you decide to download from any OTHER site, you will be doing so at your own risk.

There is no trojan - you have a false positive, probably caused by the 'opt-in' on the second screen (which asks if you want to install additional software). You can accept or reject that - your choice.

Now, having said that, running multiple A/V apps on the same computer is one of the WORST things that anyone can do - they clash with each other and also slow things down.

Additionally, it's fine to scan software on a download, but always turn the A/V OFF when installing as it can cause problems with an installation. That's why 99% of all software states "Close all running applications" and 'all' means ALL.

However, the caveat on downloading from external sites remains

5 hours ago, Rhubarb said:

There is no trojan - you have a false positive

It's no me having a false positive, just a "small Google site" named VirusTotal, but who am I to question the choices made by the great minds of those in-charge of BitComet distribution after knowing the outcome of scanning  their doing on the commonly used VirusTotal ...

Edited by No1Else (see edit history)

Believe what you choose - it's not a trojan but if that's what you want to believe, you're at liberty to use whatever client you wish.

As for me, having been in electronics since the days when transistors came in two varieties,  - white spot for RF and red spot for audio - and having worked with computers since 8 bit days, I'm quite happy with what I know.

19 hours ago, Rhubarb said:

There is no trojan - you have a false positive, probably caused by the 'opt-in' on the second screen (which asks if you want to install additional software). You can accept or reject that - your choice.

I took "your word" and installed - below (attached) is the outcome of BC 1.52 x64 exe on Virus Total ...

As for being a veteran, I'm not an antique as you are, I used to be alpha and beta tester of 2 official eMule variants (one is still available for download on CNET).

BC 1.52 - x64 exe.jpg

Edited by No1Else (see edit history)

I've told you that it's NOT a trojan (and I presume you did download it from the BC site and NOT from the 'achive' that you were using).

YOU are the only person reporting this - no-one else seems to have any problem.

As I said, if you aren't happy with it, no-one is twisting your arm to use it.

The alert isn't caused by a trojan - it's the option at the start to 'install extra software' that triggers it in some A/V programs. As I keep saying, it's a false positive.

What actually started this off was someone dopwnloading from an external source (before the update was actually released). Personally I look on sites that can't spell with a very critical eye (the site in question claimed to be an 'achive')

On 9/4/2018 at 8:57 PM, Rhubarb said:

I've told you that it's NOT a trojan (and I presume you did download it from the BC site and NOT from the 'achive' that you were using).

Downloaded from https://www.bitcomet.com/en/archive

If you question my reliability, just upload it yourself to VirusTotal and take a long look on the outcome.

I've installed the downloaded on latest Win7SP1 x64, Exe from C:\Program Files\BitComet uploaded to VirusTotal

Again verifying my observation is just one click away (uploading to VirusTotal)

For the very last time - what is being flagged as a trojan is the  Installcore software. Bitcomet costs money to run -  servers have to be paid for and, rather than charge people, additional software from Premieropinion  is bundled with the installation in return for a donation.

THAT is what is being flagged as a 'trojan'.

This discussion is now closed.

• cassie locked this topic