To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Suggestions

1. For .torrent files that have the private flag, disable the option to edit the trackers. This would be a big help for private trackers and help get BC unbanned in some cases.
  2. Change BitComet's announce ID from Mainline 3.4.2 back to BitComet 0.7x. BitComet has no reason to hide.
  3. Add support for µTorrent's new PEX (Peer Exchange), Azureus is supposed to be switching over aswell.
  4. Add some type of notification for the chat when someone is actually chatting. Like the icon flashing & a balloon pop-up message telling us someone is chatting on a certain .torrent.
  5. Get rid of the useless IE shell of a browser, no one uses it. The same goes for the favorites. Reconsidered version: Allow us the option to disble the built in browser and edit the favorites list.

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

Good suggestions Dark Shroud,

I hope you dont mind if i add mine here.

1. A quick setup guide in the installer that will adjust things like upload cap, number of slots, & max tasks, based on the users upload speed. Also check for the .xml file and dont show this guide if things are already set up.
  2. Column sorting in the "Peers" tab, and maybe other tabs like the "Files" and "Trackers" tabs.
  3. A way to control the number of seeding tasks.
  4. Fix the minor bug in the torrent properties task specific settings where the up/down arrows disappear if clicked on. [Fixed in v0.70]
  5. A working upload slot limiter.
  6. Allow the user to "Update Tracker"(scrape) even on stopped torrents; that way i can know which tasks i should be seeding without having to start them. Of course this would need to be limited to something like one scrape per tracker per hour.

I don't mind, I agree with them.

6. Set a time limit or remove the manual announce button. Newbies are using this to hammer the tracker & DHT.

7. And an option to tell us where a peer came from: tracker, DHT, PEX, incoming. This is so I know weather I should ban someone who is Ghost Leeching or cheating in some other way.

8. Set Peer Encryption's default to "Auto-Detect." A lot of ISPs are shapeing now so this would also be of help to newbies.

9. The !bc exstention turned off by default since this confuses a lot of newbies. After help many newbies on various boards I've realized this is better this way.

BitComet01.png

Hi! I am happy to see u here. Both of you are doing a lot to help users in this forums. I will send your suggestions to rny. But there something I have different ideas.

Dark_Shroud 5:Get rid of the useless IE shell of a browser, no one uses it. The same goes for the favorites.

I know there is some one use BC only because there is a ie, so he can view some websites while downloading.

bitdave A.

This will make some newbies or pc illiteracy confused.

Dark_Shroud 5:the idea of IE & favs in bitcomet are not my cup of tea, but they are helpful when i have to show a newbie how to us bitcomet and i do use most of the search engines that are listed

Dark_Shroud 9: true but is it not more comfusing when they can click on a file any windows says the file is corupt because it is not finshed downloading

As for a suggestion for bitcomet, my would have to be a timer so i can see how long i have been downloading/sharing a torrent

Also, the IE shell assists new torrent users to search engines (torrent based). So...we may want to keep that feature.

Then that would apply to favorites. The link could be set up to open a person's normal web browser instead. Besides, most newibes just post in the forums asking for good sites anyway. And I always respond, www.torrentz.com.

Dark_Shroud 5:the idea of IE & favs in bitcomet are not my cup of tea, but they are helpful when i have to show a newbie how to us bitcomet and i do use most of the search engines that are listed.

See my above responce about the favorites. If the links open their normal default browser instead the IE shell still wont' be needed.

Dark_Shroud 9: true but is it not more comfusing when they can click on a file any windows says the file is corupt because it is not finshed downloading.

They try to open them anyway.

Thanks for replying dark shroud.

Though, as for the .bc! extension. That's one of the only ways for newbies to actually locate their partially downloaded torrent whenever they shout for help in support forums like these. If the .bc! is removed, users may become confused with which files are really 100% complete, and which aren't. Especially, if they had to uninstall BitComet, and continue their tasks after a fresh installation of our client.

As for Point 5...so, you'd rather have a list of redirection links for the torrent sites?

I totally agree with all of you!

But, I do actually use the build-in browser. It does so I can browse the internet faster. Thats my experience. If I just use IE, and I am uploading with 100% of my uploadspeed, I can barely access the internet, but through BC's build-in IE browser, it goes much faster...

I have suggested the "E" that Bitdave suggest, for some months ago . We REALLY need an upload slot limit function!

Now I have been a member since early 2005, so it's great to see that Bitcomet finally has a didicated forum! ;) .. You still rox! But you will rock even more if these suggestion would be added to future BC clients :)

Regards

XSTREM

Not sure if this is mention, but I would like to add my own favorites to the bc list in their client. I know some people (well almost all) use there own browser to find their torrent, but I find it better to keep all torrent stuff in one place, like a centralise place so that everything is easier to find. Also, knowing this, I would like a shell for firefox, since I know bc uses the IE shell for their client, I hope the bc client in future could detect what browsers you have ie, opera or FF for example and allow you to use it, again for people like me who like to keep bc stuff away from their main browser.

Thanks for replying dark shroud.

Though, as for the .bc! extension. That's one of the only ways for newbies to actually locate their partially downloaded torrent whenever they shout for help in support forums like these. If the .bc! is removed, users may become confused with which files are really 100% complete, and which aren't. Especially, if they had to uninstall BitComet, and continue their tasks after a fresh installation of our client.

Ok I have thought long and hard about this reflecting on the past few years of helping newbies. So yes I've reconsidered the .bc! extension request.

As for Point 5...so, you'd rather have a list of redirection links for the torrent sites?

As for the .torrent site links. Yes I think that would be most useful. Just have them open a page in our default browser. Springy in the post above me & the people in this thread tried to ask the same thing: http://forums.bitcomet.com/index.php?showtopic=191.

Hi Darkshroud,

My apologies that I couldn't reply back

However, as for Point 5, this can be done with BitComet versions 0.61 onwards (maybe even earlier)

1. Options --> Preferences

2. Appearance --> "When BitComet is running" --> Unclick the checkbox "Open URL inside BitComet"

3. Now whenever you double-click the torrent search engine sites within our client's favourite, it will open up with your preferred web browser i.e. Firefox.

Opening_URL.jpg

Dark_Shroud 9: true but is it not more comfusing when they can click on a file any windows says the file is corupt because it is not finshed downloading

It would be cool to have the .bc! extension editable, i mean, i could change it to ".incomplete" if i want.

The reason is, i share the downloaded files on LAN, and i want to download things directly to my ftp directory, but i don't want incomplete files to be downloaded. I use G6 FTP server, and it has a feature, which prevents files ending with ~ (tilde) listed, but i can't change it to '!' (yep, i could write them too :) ).

Anyway, does anyone know a way how to seed a torrent after the downloaded files are moved to an other place?

griz

Get rid of the useless IE shell of a browser, no one uses it. The same goes for the favorites.

no no no no no, i know a lot of people who use it, i dont, but thats just cuz i forget about it, its very useful, opening a lot of torrent sites all at once, all in one window (with tabs) pasting wat were looking for on every one, its brilliant!!

an option to hide it or keep it would be good, in the options or somewhere, default is to have it there though, cuz (as someone mentioned above) its very useful for new bt dling ppl..

PS: my opinion up there ^

I have just moved over from Azureus to BitComet...mainly because it automatically gets a good port for you (i.e. unassigned), the uPnP implementation seems to work really well with my linsys WRT54G v5 (a renowned crap router!), it is very resource friendly and the interface/options are much simpler.

However, I would also like a shell for firefox...or at least for the BitComet client to lookup the default browser as defined in XP and use this instead.

I know there is a checkbox you can deselect to open URL's outside of the client....but I'm lazy and I just like to have everything inside one application.

The RSS feeds and everything are great in BitComet...so lets get Firefox embedded or called-up from within BitComet, intead of IE, and it will truly rock the casba!

Thanks all for a great app so far...keep up the good work.

no no no no no, i know a lot of people who use it, i dont, but thats just cuz i forget about it, its very useful, opening a lot of torrent sites all at once, all in one window (with tabs) pasting wat were looking for on every one, its brilliant!!

an option to hide it or keep it would be good, in the options or somewhere, default is to have it there though, cuz (as someone mentioned above) its very useful for new bt dling ppl..

PS: my opinion up there ^

Hi Tedrogers,

Thanks for the suggestions! Hmm, we're not sure though, because Firefox at times (I'm also using firefox as my default browser) is prone to crashing, losing bookmarks all of a sudden, or even suddenly using 100% of CPU processes. So we may stick to IE shell for now, until our developers do find that alot of users intend to use our built-in browser.

Hi Soraiya,

I know what you're saying...some people do have problems with Firefox...but I can honestly report that I only very infrequently suffer a crash (no more than I do with any application....inc. IE) and I have never lost my bookmarks.

I wouldn't mind so much if I could get BitCom to open up using Firefox....it only ever opens with IE...even if I change my default browser in 'Set Program Access and Defaults'.

In fact on my main PC, I can change my default browser to Firefox, but it still doesn't open from BitCom. ON my Laptop I can't even change the default from IE....Firefox doesn't showup? Weird...but not your problem.

Oh well...here's hoping that it gets sorted out.

Thanks.

Hi Tedrogers,

Thanks for the suggestions! Hmm, we're not sure though, because Firefox at times (I'm also using firefox as my default browser) is prone to crashing, losing bookmarks all of a sudden, or even suddenly using 100% of CPU processes. So we may stick to IE shell for now, until our developers do find that alot of users intend to use our built-in browser.

1. Why? -is watching how fast your downloads are going gonna make them go any faster, i think not.
    The speeds shown are just an average and arent that accurate to begin with, why waste CPU power on displaying super accurate speeds
  2. Again i ask why? and it wouldnt have any affect on the rubbish data your getting (i added to your other thread)

I kinda wish that the Peers tab was completely removed and instead Bitcomet used some sort of autobanning feature that drops clients who send bad chunks. Can anyone tell me how they know someone is strictly leeching or why they use the manual banning feature, cause I've never had to use it once.

I want less GUI, more efficiency

Quality >> Looks

Dark_Shroud 5:Get rid of the useless IE shell of a browser, ...

i would have to definatly concur. i dont use it, but im not asking to remove it just because some ppl dont use it: im more concerned about it opening up all those huge IE security holes. because someone could hack into BC, and use the IE shell to do who knows what.

im asking:

1. have a version with the shell, one without.

or

2. have an option to totally disable it.

• 1 month later...

im more concerned about it opening up all those huge IE security holes. because someone could hack into BC, and use the IE shell to do who knows what.

You don't have anything to worry about from the shell, it won't run activeX and can't be hacked into. Besides, in a couple of months the revised IE core will be released by Microsoft and its a lot better. But we're drifting off topic.

I edited a couple of my responces on my initial list. But everything BitDave and I have posted still stands as a request. :) Plus a new one that should be obvious and would one up µTorrent. ;)

10. Azureus DHT (Kademila) with Azureus Meta Link support.

I only read your first post, so forgive me if I'm restating something.

Anyways, those are very good suggestions, except for the first one.

I don't get why the developers of great programs (err, torrent clients, mainly) such as BitComet have to give in to the demands of private tracker admins. So, there were some DHT leaks in some older versions, but they have since been fixed.

I'm going to use the client I want to use, even if it means spoofing the peer_id.

Sorry for the rant...

I only read your first post, so forgive me if I'm restating something.

Anyways, those are very good suggestions, except for the first one.

I don't get why the developers of great programs (err, torrent clients, mainly) such as BitComet have to give in to the demands of private tracker admins. So, there were some DHT leaks in some older versions, but they have since been fixed.

Not compleatly, but pretty well fixed. This would not only fix the problem compleatly but it would make BitComet the most secure client for private trackers. Giving them no reason to ban recent versions that have repaired some of the more infamous bugs.

The authors of clients do not have to give into demands. But if you want to use their tracker and bandwidth for free with only requests for donations you shuold try to meet them half way. If your client doesn't meet some requirements then your client gets banned.

I'm going to use the client I want to use, even if it means spoofing the peer_id.

Sorry for the rant...

That only justifies the ban and the id spoofs are usually detected pretty quickly and banned.

Dark_Shroud you can remove this from the list:

and edit the favorites list

springy

Not sure if this is mention, but I would like to add my own favorites to the bc list in their client.

Look the guide in my signature.

1. It will be great if you can make Firefox to be the second build in browser so we can choose which one to use.

I am using FF for years and never lost my bookmarks or get it use 100% of my pc and it is crashing sometimes (~8%) but it is far away from the record of IE (~40% crashing).

2. this is good suggestion Grizzly:

It would be cool to have the .bc! extension editable, i mean, i could change it to ".incomplete" if i want.

It will be even better if BC devs can make another icon for incomplete bc tasks. Now they use icon #0 from shell32 and it is confusing sometimes, because I use this download folder for all my downloads from Flashget, from firefox etc.

If you make an icon for *.bc tasks the unfinished downloads will be much more recognizable.

For example the icon could be the same like icon #1 from bitcomet.exe the one for *.torrent files but instead of orange color to use red color.

post-2029-1154689197.jpg

Edited by dimchopicha2003 (see edit history)