To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Info on types of Video

The UnUsual Suspect

Most of the modern highly compressed video is encoded in Xvid/Divx, which are .avi files that will play on your computer (if proper codec is installed), but NOT on most dvd players.

Very few movies are distributed in DVD format, as they take too long to download, but if they are, they will be in a disc image file, or "raw" dvd files (.vob, .ifo, .bup)

Another popular format is VCD.

There are several types of vcd, svcd, kvcd, and a few others. These burn to a CDr disc that will play in most dvd players. svcd is somewhat less compatible. Kvcd is the highest compressed, and can record a commercial DVD at 1/10th the orignal size, and still look good.

There are several types of "sources" used to make a digital video to download.

1. CAM (recorded with a camcorder at a theater) quality ranges from poor to fairly clean, but not near dvd quality

2. T/S telesnyc (video is "cam", with digital audio track added) some have very good audio, and video quality varies

3. T/C telecine (orignal film is scanned frame by frame) can give quality similar to vhs

4. DVD scr/VHS scr Screener (an official release made by the film producers to present the film for awards, or to show to test audiences) These can be DVD quality, but almost all include "property of" banners that scroll on screen from time to time, some have serial numbers displayed on screen (these are often distorted before the film is uploaded). Some will have short segments that are "black and white". In some cases, these are available even before the film is in theater.

5. VHSrip. A digital conversion of a VHS tape (some actually look better then then original VHS

6. DVDrip The most desirable. The video is converted from DVD

• 11 months later...

Just want to say thanks for the info.For someone who is new to all of this its been difficult yet interesting.Still not completed the burn yet,but once I take the plunge with nero 8 I think and hope things will be ok.If not I've got you guys to call on!

ImgBurn is a good (and free) program. It's designed to burn disc images.

http://imgburn.com

This won't convert your files, but will burn any (ready to burn) disc image, such as (.iso) (.bin/.cue) (.nrg) (.img) (mdk/mds) and others.

• 2 months later...

One of the most capable converters is Super, from ERightSoft. It's freeware, but because it is very capable, it can also be pretty intimidating and complicated to use. It's not as bad as, say, virtualdub, but it also won't do quite as much. It should, however, handle most of your conversions to and from various formats.

It won't burn disks, but that's a separate function anyway.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Eaglestar, please press your Capslock key. Posting a message in all-caps is kinda rude.

Most .wmv files that exhibit this sort of problem are protected files that have to be purchased.

Basically, nobody releases video that you'd want to watch, of anything, using .wmv.

Except for p***, .wmv is a sign that something is wrong or weird with the download and you should avoid it.

My User Id:

rohitsinha1993

1) What version of BitComet are you using?

Bitcomet 1.24

2) What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL, etc.)?

ADSL

3) Do you have a modem? Do you use a router? What make and model are each one of them? Have you forwarded your port?

No Modem Or Router

4) What version of Windows, Firewall and Antivirus do you use?

Windows 7,AVG Firewall And Internet Security.

My Problem:

Hey I Have been using bitcomet since 2009.08.06

And my score was around 14000

and i was a Lieutenant Colonel

But when i logged in today my score was just aroud 56

and i was a recruit............

this is really a very serious problem which is quite frustrating for me.......and if the problem is not solved i might not use bitcomet any more........

so plz de me a favour of sorting it out.....

hoping for a positive feedback...........

My Emnail ID is- rohitsinha1993@gmail.com

Rohitsinha,

• Duplicating your post in multiple (and irrelevant) forums is a pretty good way of increasing the Staff's housekeeping duties, as well as an evident sign that you are not reading up on the replies offerred. (See here and here.)

• Also, please do NOT ask for private replies (by way of e-mail), as they will not be given - these are forums, not individual consultations. All questions and answers are posted for the benefit of the entire community and not just one person.

• Please be kind and courteous enough to pay attention to where you are posting and the responses given.

Further disregard of Forum Rules will result in your posting abilities being restricted.

• Like 1