To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet 0.79, 0.80 to 0.89 - My experience [edited]

Hi ,

downloaded 0.79 today after taking test ride of 0.78.

Actually was surprised by the development of ver 0.79 in two days, so my first thought was the problem i mentioned about the 0.78 has been listened by the developer and has been rectified and thus i downloaded it first.

after install it started very well , i havent started any torrent in it. so i thought first of all i try with my big torrent which is crashing the 0.78, so when i clicked on "Start" button to my amazement 0.79 Hanged up, no response from program .

Then i thought it will be good if i restart the system , i done it and again the same problem.

after closing the application using Task Manager, i tried again and again same thing happened.

Thus i changed strategy to start torrent, i first of all manually hash check the torrent and then clicked start. This time torrent starts.

So this was my first reaction with 0.79.

currently i m trying to use it for a day , so if found some more problems will post in this thread.

Eurekaguy4u

Edit Note :

I M Continuing my experience here of 0.80 , as it is not different than that of 0.79,

Edit Note : 03 Jan,2007

I installed 0.81 , and was happy may be this time it works, i installed in on my previous installation of 0.70. but when i started after installation complete, GUI is in hanged state , nothing happens, i waited after 5 minutes Error Reporting Box Came up and first Run was crashed, then i restarted my system and again the same.

Finally i again reverted back to 0.70 (which i think is most stable version of Bitcomet) till date.

Edit Note : 09 Feb,2007

Came back to Bitcomet site after long time and saw new version 0.84, was happy and I installed 0.84 immediatly. And after installation i ran it first time, has crossed my finger, it started, and to my astonishment i saw new gridline views in it. But suddenly it crashed and "Send Crash Details" dialog openned up, and i send error report.

then again i tried to start this time , by disabling my autorun task when start option from BITCOMET.XML file, it started , i started 3 torrent , (as set limit to 3). and other ones are in queue. Now i want to forcefully start a queued file, OH MY GOD, start option is dimmed, there is no way to forcefully start any torrent. after some more R&D thought still this version is not good for me, so better go back to stable version.

Thus again reverted back to 0.70 (which i think is most stable version of Bitcomet) till date, and hoping bitcomet team will do something about the problem.

Edit Note : 07 Jun,2007

i tested new version of bitcomet after a long time , so started with 0.89, bt found on first run, when i started "manual hash check" , the sw crashed i tried 3-4 times to do again n again , even restarted system bt no use, it crashes (i send the error report too).

then with .88 crash again.

then choose 0.87 , thank god it started , bt i m finding my download rates are very less as compared to the bitcomet 0.70 version.

so still thinks 0.70 is the last stable release of bitcomet. it has been a long time , when we got a stable version of Bitcomet (the g8t bittorrent software on internet).

it is hanging whenever i try to start torrent between restarts of bitcomet 0.79.

So to avoid it , i have to first start manual hash check and then start the torrent.

So going back to version 0.70 again, with hope bitcomet developer solves it.

thanks again to developers for this nice piece of software.

Eurekaguy4u

it is hanging whenever i try to start torrent between restarts of bitcomet 0.79.

So to avoid it , i have to first start manual hash check and then start the torrent.

So going back to version 0.70 again, with hope bitcomet developer solves it.

thanks again to developers for this nice piece of software.

Eurekaguy4u

try to install winxp sp2 with all high priority update-s ;)

bitcomet 0.79 is latest official release but not Last Stable :rolleyes:

Hi,

It's no secret that our new client (starting with version .71) has had some major flaws, but its improving. As for .79 downloading slower, it might just be that your settings have to be adjusted for this client. It is a completely new client, not just an updated version.

However, we are recommending members that have problems revert back to .70.

Thank you for reporting these issues, it helps our developers to improve our clients.

Suspect

Just wanted to emphasize that you need to recheck your firewall rules when you change client versions. Depends on the firewall, but many of them identify permitted programs by their MD5 hashes, not by their filenames, so an upgraded or downgraded version is not recognized as something it has an existing rule for, hence is limited by default. Safest way is to always delete the old rule and make a new one for every version change.

Just wanted to emphasize that you need to recheck your firewall rules when you change client versions. Depends on the firewall, but many of them identify permitted programs by their MD5 hashes, not by their filenames, so an upgraded or downgraded version is not recognized as something it has an existing rule for, hence is limited by default. Safest way is to always delete the old rule and make a new one for every version change.

i have checked my firewall settings , as firewall is off.

i had installed bitcomet 0.79 in same directory so it means it just update the .exe and retains all the settings of Bitcomet between different versions. But with these settings i found bitcomet 0.79 is download at very slow rate as compared to bitcomet 0.70 (insalled by overwriting the .exe of 0.79)

that is y i commented that bitcomet 0.79 is slow.

i have checked my firewall settings , as firewall is off.

Are you crazy?! At the very least turn windows firewall on to protect your system. BitComet can auto configure the Windows Firewall so you won't have any problems with that as long as you have exceptions allowed. The high-speed ISPs are breaming with port scanners, crawlers, and other sorts of unwanted junk.

What firewall do you normally use?

I just wanted to say I've been ussing bitcomet 079 for 2 weeks and still no problems... I recomend it to all users...

Dear dawin45,

there are problem in bitcomet 0.79 , even acknowledged by the developer of this sw, the thing is how much it is impacting you.

Even the bitcomet team is saying to use bitcomet 0.70 (which is their last stable release) if users are facing problem. Bt it is nice to hear u r not facing any problem , it means it will soon become a stable version .

I've swapped back and forth between 0.70 and 0.79 several times to do comparative tests.

Without doubt, the download speed with 0.79 is slower than 0.70. It seems to be something to do with the number of seeders you are able to connect to.

0.79 is not quite so responsive as 0.70. By this I mean 0.70 seems faster to start and stop torrents and just generally swapping from page to page.

0.79 stops it's downloads at 99.9% and then freezes.

0.79 seems to do a lot more background processing. eg. as I type this message it keeps freezing for 20 secs or so and I loose the cursor and any keystokes that i've made stop ... then they come back again after the 20 secs have elapsed.

0.79 has the lovely feature of downloading videos from youtube and download all links.

So for the time being I will swap between versions depending on what i'm doing

I downloaded the 0.80 ver on 15th dec, bt was late to post my review as was busy .

First of all , as 0.80 comes out after a long time interval (15 days) so i thought my problems were gone , bt no , again it hangs when i start my torrents in it , the GUI is not responding.

Bt the good thing happens this time , it is able to send crash report to bitcomet server (which was unsuccessful in last version on my PC) , i m wishing this will help bitcomet developer to address the issue.

Still sticking to 0.70 and advise others to do same who are facing such problems .

• 3 weeks later...

I installed 0.81 , and was happy may be this time it works, i installed in on my previous installation of 0.70. but when i started after installation complete, GUI is in hanged state , nothing happens, i waited after 5 minutes Error Reporting Box Came up and first Run was crashed, then i restarted my system and again the same.

Finally i again reverted back to 0.70 (which i think is most stable version of Bitcomet) till date.

The only problem with 0.81 to me is it cant connect to some trackers... http://d-addicts.com:7979 is an example... Says Error connect but 0.70 working ok...

0.81 is better speed although i just can connect to DHT ... i'm now downloading all file with D-addicts Tracker, but no one could connect to Tracker... ONLY DHT connect...

is this the problem with tracker? or our BitComet? Anyone here got same problem?

• 1 month later...

Hi friends,

Came back to Bitcomet site after long time and saw new version 0.84, was happy and I installed 0.84 immediatly. And after installation i ran it first time, has crossed my finger, it started, and to my astonishment i saw new gridline views in it. But suddenly it crashed and "Send Crash Details" dialog openned up, and i send error report.

then again i tried to start this time , by disabling my autorun task when start option from BITCOMET.XML file, it started , i started 3 torrent , (as set limit to 3). and other ones are in queue. Now i want to forcefully start a queued file, OH MY GOD, start option is dimmed, there is no way to forcefully start any torrent. after some more R&D thought still this version is not good for me, so better go back to stable version.

Thus again reverted back to 0.70 (which i think is most stable version of Bitcomet) till date, and hoping bitcomet team will do something about the problem.

• 3 months later...

i tested new version of bitcomet after a long time , so started with 0.89, bt found on first run, when i started "manual hash check" , the sw crashed i tried 3-4 times to do again n again , even restarted system bt no use, it crashes (i send the error report too).

then with .88 crash again.

then choose 0.87 , thank god it started , bt i m finding my download rates are very less as compared to the bitcomet 0.70 version.

so still thinks 0.70 is the last stable release of bitcomet. it has been a long time , when we got a stable version of Bitcomet (the g8t bittorrent software on internet).

• 2 weeks later...