To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Driver Error - Spontaneous Restart

Whenever I run bitcomet for extended periods of time without me being at the computer (E.G. 1 hour) The computer will spontaneously restart. This has even happened while I am at the computer and actively running programs. Does bitcomet have or effect any software drivers? That is what microsoft says the problem is <_<

I know it isn't bittorrent because I have run Azureus with it working. I would use that but Azureus is shitty. I really want bitcomet to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Some extra info:

"Download accelerators" amplify the effect

I run windows XP

I tweak the bitcomet settings ALOT.

heh, same sorta thing happens to me, but as i posted earlier today, for me it progressively gets worse until a few days later i cant even get my computer to the desktop anymore because it keeps restarting, then i have to use my restore disks to fix it which apparently dont really fix the problem just slow it down for a little while unless i reformat it and put windows xp back on it or have it put everything in a folder and then reinstall windows xp

Ok, here we are, the second time it restarted on my computer that i reformatted several days ago it just said thhat there was a problem and it shut down the system so the wouldnt be harmed, and here is the stuff it says in the technical info... *** STOP: 0X00000024 (0X00190203, 0X86F78008, 0XC0000102, 0X00000000) and the third time it restarted it said this in the technical info... *** STOP: 0X00000024 (0X00190203, 0X86EF3848, 0XC0000102, 0X00000000) and on the last time it did this, it did it after i used my restore disks to fix windows, it said IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and in the technical info... *** STOP: 0X0000000A (0X00000000, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X804DC25D)

I have a question, are you using service pack two?

I have seen this problem many times that was resolved by reverting back to service pack 1a.

If you have a good antivirus and firewall, then sp2 is not needed, and seems to make many systems unstable.

If you are not using sp2, then I suspect you are having a driver conflict. I would recommend downloading the latest drivers for all your hardware, as its likely the problem has been resolved in new driver releases.

Its very hard to diagnose this problem in a forum post, but hope this gives you a couple paths to follow.

Suspect

well i just used cmd to do the pool verifier, I havent run BC since it last made my computer restart this morning, and it hasnt done it since which is nice. I ran BC quickly to check cuz i knew in the statistics it does tell u which pack I have, and I have Service Pack 2 but i dont know how to go back to SP 1a, and i dont really have a firewall tho except for the windows firewall, i had zone alarms pro firewall but i dont have it now cuz i reformatted my comp and my step-dad took my disk with him when he left for the summer *grumbles*. My virus protection is norton 2004 but the automatic live update has errors when i download and install these 3 things so its not exactly working completely correct.

and of course i say that it hasnt restarted without me using it and just a few min ago it did while i was about to move some files off of my computer, here is what it said...

STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}

The registry cannot load the hive (file):

\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY

or its log or alternate

It is corrupt, absent, or not writable

I'm not exactly sure what i should do now.....

If windows cannot read the registry, then you have some corrupted files, or possible a hardware failure, likely bad sectors on your hard drive.

as for service pack two, you can only remove it if you selected to creat a restore when it was installed.

As for firewall, I suggest you get a good one.

Please also consider the fact that you may have a virus and/or some malware on your system that surrived the reformatting, or was reinstalled from some of your backups.

I would run a good hard disc testing program, many PCs come with such programs, as there are many.

I would also make antivirus software and firewall your top priority.

Suspect

You should first completely remove Norton and then install AVG free so you can have an up-to-date antivirus.

After you remove Norton but before you install AVG you should run CCleaner to scan for and fix issues in the registry

You probably should check your disc for errors

first goto My Computer

then rightclick on your hard drive and select Sharing and Security

then goto the Tools tab and under Error-checking select Check Now

finally check those two boxes and hit Start

It will run the next time you boot up your computer

also when was the last time your defragmented your drive???

At the time i did the virus scan, after the first time it restarted my norton was working and it had up to date definitions, then i ended up having to use my restore disks to fix windows since it wouldnt stop messin up, then i donno why but it made me reinstall norton and now its messed up.

Well originally i had diskeeper, and it helped keep my computer defragmented but that was before the reformat a little while ago, no more then a week, so it shouldnt be horribly fragmented. I'll uninstall norton and install avg, cept last time i tried to uninstall norton it wouldnt unistall using the control panel and add or remove programs and it wouldnt even uninstall with the tools i had to download and install to uninstall it because they would have some problems, but that was the time before i reformatted my computer so i donno. I'll do all that tommorow since its 4 am and ive been up since 10 am yesterday... for now my computer seems stable so im just lettin BC download some things while it can

Well after using the thing to remove norton and having to restart my computer because of the tool my computer screwed up, goin to the blue screen every time and not letting it get to the desktop. I tried to use my restore disks to fix windows, but every time that failed with some error or some problem so i was forced to reformat it again. Now i have everything running fine and im not going to get bitcomet again because everything runs fine until i get bitcomet and run it, thats when everything goes bad. Actually im just not going to download anything on this computer, imma try to figure sumthin out and use another computer for that. Ill check back in every once in a while, but I'm deffinately not gonna get bitcomet again on this comp until this problem is fixed.

And soraiya, what your saying doesnt really make sense to me

This seems to be groundhog day for me. Never mind, not your fault.

Your symptoms sound very much like a hardware failure. Since it isn't something big and obvious like the drive not working, the two hot suspects are system memory and your network connector.

Go to www.memtest.org and download memtest86+ in whatever form's most convenient for you. If you have a CD burner and can use it, get the bootable ISO, burn a CD with it and boot the CD. That's the easiest way. Let it run. If it turns out to be defective memory, which for you would be my top suspect, be glad that memory is really cheap these days, and just replace it.

Bad network connectors can cause the damndest errors that seem totally unrelated. The easiest way to check is to swap in a different card and see if the problems go away. Try to temporarily borrow one if you can. If you have a desktop, network cards are really cheap, under US$10. If you have a laptop, you'll need a PCI card, which are more expensive. You may need to disable the existing network connector in the bios (since the majority are built-in these days), and you will have to set up a new network connection to use the new adapter, but that isn't difficult.