To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

DHT issues - this is tiring

It's great that your issue was finally resolved!

But just a note, if you want to further maximise your download speed, try utilizing ports 50,000 - 65000 on your client [Portforward those as well] But if your speeds are ok for now, do not change anything.

Thanx.

I set it up for port 52,001 - right in the range you mention. And that's exactly when it started working.

Dang, it's wonderful to see that I can use bittorrenting. :D

Derek

It's great that your issue was finally resolved!

But just a note, if you want to further maximise your download speed, try utilizing ports 50,000 - 65000 on your client [Portforward those as well] But if your speeds are ok for now, do not change anything.

WEEEeeeeeeelllll...

... Plus, this allows me to not have to tie up my phone line just to get internet services.

You don't need to in any case. ADSL uses a different part of the phone spectrum, and a simple, cheap, & included filter keeps it from interfering with normal phone service. You can have DSL and standard phone service on the same line at the same time. Just to be clear. ADSL does not tie up your phone line for voice service. If that's been holding you back from ADSL, you've been misinformed.

Now one thing is that when I turn off my computer at night, the cablemodem/router is not turned off. This means that the ISP does not see me going offline and back online every day. It also means that my desktop (which is hard connected from my ethernet port into the ethernet port on the cablemodem) does not have to be turned on in order that my laptop or PDAs may access the Internet.

Given that, may I presume that my dynamic IP address doesn't change unless I turn off the cablemodem/router? And therefore, does that not invalidate the 'changing' dynamic IP problem?

Gotta love the way this subject always turns into a mess so quickly.

When you insert a router into a connection, it creates a "subnet". There are now two sides to the connection. One side is the Internet, or "WAN" side, and all the rules are dictated by your ISP. You must follow them. The other side is the Subnet, or "LAN" side, and the rules are pretty much whatever you want them to be.

From the ISP to the router, on the WAN side, an IP address gets assigned via DHCP to the router. If you visit whatsmyip.org, the request goes from your computer to the router, thence to the internet. The reply comes back to the router, and thence to your computer. The web site will show you the IP address of the router. NOT the IP address of your computer. The internet doesn't know your computer exists, all it sees is the router. It doesn't know or care what's behind the router.

This has nothing whatever to do with what happens on the LAN side of the router, inside your subnet. There you can do things any way you please and can get working.

On the LAN side, by usual default, the router assigns IP addresses to the computers connected to it, via DHCP. These are not the same as, and have no relationship to, the IP address that the ISP assigned to the router. These are the addresses that will show up in IPCONFIG as your computer's IP address. Only your router knows or cares about these. The internet does not know, does not care, and cannot communicate with them. All communication with the Internet must flow through the router.

INTERNET----------------------------------<|=YOUR=|>------------------SUBNET

WAN SIDE---------------------------------<|ROUTER |>------------------LAN SIDE

ISP's RULES-------------------------------<|=HERE=|>------------------YOUR RULES

IP address from ISP---------------------<|ROUTER|>------------------ IP from router

Dynamic addresses expire. They are leased, although the lease term can be "forever", if the assignor permits that. (Your ISP might not permit it.)

But any time the leaseholder disconnects, the lease on its address is terminated. When it reconnects, it has to get another leased, dynamic IP address. That might or might not be the same as the one it had before.

When you turn off your computer, the lease on the IP address that it got from the router expires. That address can now be reassigned.

If the router isn't turned off, it may continue to have the same IP address from your ISP, but this does not affect what happens on the LAN side at all.

On the other hand, you can be connected and browsing or torrenting or whatever, when your router's IP address lease expires. It gets automatically renewed, though not necessarily at the same IP address it had before. You will probably never even notice that this happened. The two sides, internet and subnet, are that utterly separated.

All this talk about needing a static IP is strictly on the subnet, or LAN side. It doesn't concern the WAN side at all.

Your router has a firewall. If it's like most routers, it will only open a port on that firewall, into the subnet, to a specific subnet IP address. In order for things to work properly, your computer had better be at that IP address.

Giving your computer a static, not dynamic, address from the router, assures that your computer will indeed be at that address. If the address were dynamic, then it might be assigned away from your computer. There might be nothing now at that address while your computer wonders where all its traffic went? Better, there might be another computer at that address now, unaware that there's a hole in the firewall pointing at it. That other computer almost certainly will not be expecting, or know what to do with, traffic coming through that hole. If you're lucky it will merely ignore it.

But with a static address, it won't change, and it'll always be your computer at that IP, with BitComet there and ready to handle traffic on that port, through that hole in your firewall.

You may ask, "can I get a static IP address from my ISP?", and the answer, as always, is "YE$, OF COUR$E! We're alway$ plea$ed to provide our victim$ cu$tomers whatever they wi$h!"

I hope that makes things a little clearer.

Now, and separately, let me correct another budding misconception.

DHT is not necessary for successful transfers. In your Options, you can even disable DHT as many people do, and still torrent to your heart's content. Some of the torrents you download will specifically have DHT disabled for that torrent, and they will work just fine.

DHT is not necessary for file transfers.

DHT finds additional peers. That's all it does. It finds peers and does not use the tracker to find them. You don't even need them if the tracker's giving you enough peers.

But to have DHT not working is sometimes a SYMPTOM of another problem, namely a closed listening port. That closed port is the problem, not the absence of DHT. There are other, more important symptoms such as the lack of remote-initiated connections. So don't attach too much weight to the DHT connection.

Your explanation is great.

However, all DSL here in my area is slow! I live just far enough away from the telco station to make broadband cable internet a stellar deal by comparison. Now the telco does allow me the option of getting constantly fast connections, but at a prohibitive per-month price. And then there's the constant barrage of TV ads in our area begging the voters to 'level the playing field' by pressuring the state legislators to force open a market. Sorry, but if DSL were that great - compared to what I get from the cable company - they'd not have to 'legislate' 'fair competition'. Sure, I'm paying about $50/month for my broadband hookup, but I get about 6 times the speed I would were I to 'settle' for DSL at $25/month. Oops! <_< But then, for many people, having the same connection available for internet and phone is more 'worthwhile' than having blazing speed. B)

Derek

You don't need to in any case. ADSL uses a different part of the phone spectrum, and a simple, cheap, & included filter keeps it from interfering with normal phone service. You can have DSL and standard phone service on the same line at the same time. Just to be clear. ADSL does not tie up your phone line for voice service. If that's been holding you back from ADSL, you've been misinformed.

Gotta love the way this subject always turns into a mess so quickly.