To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Download keeps stopping

:( I start a download, it works fine for a while then it stops. I get a red x on the left of my download. I manually reconnect, then after a couple of minutes it stops again. This happens on many downloads (but not all). I just upgraded to BC .70 running on XP with lots of available disk space and memory. Please help so I can download movies for my kids without sitting in front of the PC for 3 hours reconnecting!

Hi,

I assume you have service pack two installed.

If so, then you have a common problem. Service pack two will stop connections after a certian number of connection errors.

I will return and post more info on this in a few minutes.

In the mean time, can you confirm if you infact are using sp2?

suspect

Hi,

I assume you have service pack two installed.

If so, then you have a common problem. Service pack two will stop connections after a certian number of connection errors.

I will return and post more info on this in a few minutes.

In the mean time, can you confirm if you infact are using sp2?

suspect

Hi Ususal S.

I am indeed using SP2

This should help...

Event 4226. Thats something Microsoft put in SP2 .Microsoft put this is to protect against the spread of worms and the such. But It puts a limit on P2P applications too. Event 4226 limits the max tcp connections u can recieve and/or send. B4 SP2 it was unlimited. With SP2 its 8 or 10. Some P2P programs tinker with it and make the value 50. Thats cool for most ppl, but nothing beats unlimited.

To see if you get Event 4226, (This method of finding it is for ppl with XP Home/Pro)

go to Start/Settings/Control Panel. Click on Admin. Tools. Click Event Viewer. Click on System. In the big column to the right, see if you can find Event 4226. if you dont find it, you OK. If you do find it, there are ways to change it.

Check this place out:

CODE

http://www.lvllord.de/

They created a lil program that changes the max concurrent connects from 8 or 10 to 16,777,214. And even tho the max value you can change it to is 16 million, in their eyes that the same as unlimited. Who gonna get 16 million ppl connected to them at the same time anyway? 21.gif

And Windows Firewall sucks. If u use another software firewall, get rid of the Win one. For some reason it conflicts with other firewalls, giving false positives, etc.

Go to start,

settings,

control panel

Click Administrative tools.

click Services

depending on what service pack u got installed, look for either:

Internet Connection Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (it will say this if u got SP1) or

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (it will say this if u got SP2)

This does more disable the firewall. This digs down in the Windows OS and disables services that run on Windows. Even if U uncheck the box in network properties in the advanced tab that say "protect my computer.......), the service is still running.

Plus when U disable the service, u gotta set it to manual or disable cuz on every reboot it will restart.

I hope this helps some folks with speed problems.

**I had to add this since I may have not made some things clear**

It helps u get connectable. Thereby increasing speeds. It may work for some, maybe not. And I would STRONGLY advise against setting the value all the way up to 16 million. Thats just ludicrous....21.gif

A red X means there was a disc write error and Bitcomet stopped the transfer.

This can be caused by insufficient hard drive space. You should check and see if you have the option to preallocate downloads enabled.

This can be caused by having a FAT32 partitioned drive and trying to download a torrent >4 GB. If your hard drive is FAT32 then you should convert it to NTFS. (Use the search feature of this forum to find out how)

This can be caused by other programs trying to access the files. Dont try to play the files with anything that uses Directshow like WMP. If you want to preview your videos use VLC player.

Also just by opening the folder that the files are in can screw up your transfers. The reason is that windoze will show thumbnail views and create a hidden thumbs.db screwing up the download directory. If this happens you need to have hidden and system files displayed(in the folder goto Tools -> folder options) also switch the view in the folder to "details" and then delete that thumbs.db, then restart your download.

Now let me respond to what the Suspect said. Dont disable Windows firewall if thats the only one you got, it works just fine for blocking hackers from getting in, though it doesnt have any outbound control.

Also about the Lvllord patch, this you dont really have to use. Bitcomet is programmed to work without it. Just make sure in Bitcomets preferences -> Advanced -> Connection that "half-open TCP connections" is set at 8 which is slightly under SP2s limit of 10.

as I recommended, be sure you REPLACE the windows firewall, with a good firewall.

Sygate, Mcafee are a couple good ones that I have used.

As for daves suggestion that bit comet has a patch to avoid this problem, this is indeed possible. I however use several different clients, and prefer to resolve the problem at its source, then to tweek the clients to "work arround" the issue.

I can tell you that this patch has resolved this issue with a great many of happy downloaders :)

I also suggest that if the problem is resolved, that you have your isp check your connection, as there may be a connection issue that could improve your speeds if resolved.

Suspect

OK,

I used the 4226 patch and set the concurrent number to 50 as U.S. suggested AND I changed the preferences in BC to 8 as Dave suggested. Things have been working so far. Many thanks to both of you.

Flix

You are very welcome :)

Suspect

Glad to hear things are working now. :)

I used the 4226 patch and set the concurrent number to 50 as U.S. suggested AND I changed the preferences in BC to 8 as Dave suggested.

Since you used the Lvllord patch; then in Bitcomet go ahead and change that preference from 8 to lets say 45. Read through the settings guide in my sig below I explain it there and it may help you with other questions.

I would suggest that you ask your isp to check your line, this is very easy for them to do.

If your problem is infact related to connection errors, then you might need to have one of their technicians repair the lines.

Suspect

Yes, its very possible.

I have had these errors twice with comcast broadband in usa

One time they had to replace connectors on the main line out on the street, and another time it was a bad splitter.

They can test the connection for packett loss from their tech support section.

I think it would be the next logical area to explore, and I'm sure others can suggest other possiblilities

Suspect

Though beware when converting from fat32 to ntfs, it may be safer to copy your partially download torrent file to another location before you initiate such a conversion.

Flix is your torrent download consisting of a 'single file'? i.e. ISO, etc

This is fundamentally a disk write error. Don't lose sight of that.

Every disk drive made in the last 10 years, and most even before that, incorporates firmware to check the drive and report problems. It's called Self-Monitoring And Reporting Technology, and it's part of what flashes by so quickly during initial bootup before the machine goes into graphics mode.

That usually makes it all but impossible to catch. So you'll need a SMART reporting utility to see if your disk drive has been reporting errors. This is pretty urgent, since a drive that starts getting this kind of error can permanently fail at any moment.

The only such easy-to-use utilities I know of that are free, are also manufacturer-specific, so check the manufacturer's web site or include the brand name in your search. Or go with one of the paid/shareware utilities. A lot of them want to monitor the drive, which is not exactly what you want -- and it's one more process running/loading down the system. All you need is one that reports the current SMART status to tell you if you've been accumulating errors.

If you're comfortable with DOS-based command-line tools, then try this one.

I'm not saying it's definitely a failing disk drive, but you sure want to check that quickly.