To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

ranking system

massein

• 9 months later...

Like massein, I wanted to know/understand the difference between one's score and one's ranking. So I too did a search and found this page in the wiki =ranking"]CometID Pane where it just says that Score = Scores of your CometID and Ranking = Ranking of this CometID among worldwide users. But that didn't really clarify it very much for me. So I continued looking and found =ranking"]this page in the FAQS that mentioned ranking, where above the Score and Title List pane, it says "The higher the ranking of the CometID......" But referring to the ranking of the CometID above a table that only shows scores and the titles they equate to and does not even mention the actual ranking number I wanted to find out about, just confuses me even more!

So if your score is made up of points that you earn at the rate of 2 points per hour just for being online (up to a maximum of 20 points per day) plus 1 point for every 10MB that is being constantly uploaded via BitTorrent protocol (up to a maximum of 100 points per day)). What exactly is your ranking number? How is it calculaterd? And is a higher or lower ranking number better? For instance I have reached the dizzy height of Second Lieutenant, with a score of 3001. But I am sure that my ranking number has decreased, even though I ALWAYS leave tasks uploading for several hours after I have finished downloading them? So could someone please explain this to me? Thanks.

If the ranking is your comparison to all other BitComet users, that's obviously going to be constantly changing. That's as far as that goes.

You may be assuming a connection that, as far as I can see, does not exist.

Let's suppose you achieve Captaincy. So, how many other captains are out there? It's an unlimited number. Just being a captain, whether one out of a dozen or one out of ten thousand, entitles you to the same resources. You still accumulate score points at the same rate, and your promotion to Major isn't related to anyone else or their statistics.

I think that a major point of confusion is the term, "rank". In English, "Captain" and "Major" are ranks, which nicely confuses with a "ranking system" relative to all others in the system. The originators of this system do not speak English. So to put it another way, your ranking has nothing to do with your rank.

On the other hand your relative ranking above other BC users will, together with $1.50, get you a cup of coffee in most places.

-------------

If you are a recruit, you can be connected to 41 LT-seeders. If you are a Sovereign, you can be connected to 102 of them.

No-one has ever demonstrated that this makes even a tiny difference in the download speed of a typical torrent. It assumes that there ARE even 41 LT-seeds for a typical torrent, let alone 102 of them. LT-Seeding is for BitComet-only and recent-version at that. BitComet is far more popular in China than it is in the West, so this system apparently works better there. In the west, there are unlikely to even be that many LT seeds for any torrent.

All of this is, then, much ado about very little indeed.

If the ranking is your comparison to all other BitComet users, that's obviously going to be constantly changing. That's as far as that goes.

You may be assuming a connection that, as far as I can see, does not exist.

Thank you for trying to clarify the issue. However I wasn't assuming any connection between one's score and one's ranking. The first part of my question was about how one's ranking is calculated eg: what affects one's ranking? Do the number of downloads or uploads you make affect it? Does the time you leave tasks seeding affect it and so on? And the second part of my question was whether a higher (2000000) or lower (1485701) ranking number is best?

Let's suppose you achieve Captaincy. So, how many other captains are out there? It's an unlimited number. Just being a captain, whether one out of a dozen or one out of ten thousand, entitles you to the same resources. You still accumulate score points at the same rate, and your promotion to Major isn't related to anyone else or their statistics.

Personally, I have never had a problem understanding how the scoring system works but your answer may nonetheless be helpful to others.

All of this is, then, much ado about very little indeed.

Yes, maybe all of this is "much ado about very little indeed"! But as BitComet uses this scoring and ranking system and displays users updated scores and ranking numbers in the user interface, I wanted to know what they meant and what affected each field. So I went to the FAQ to find out. But as the FAQ did not fully clarify the ranking number for me, I posted the question in here. So referring to your last remark, was it wrong of me to ask other members to explain such apparently trivial things to me?

Thank you for trying to clarify the issue. However I wasn't assuming any connection between one's score and one's ranking. The first part of my question was about how one's ranking is calculated eg: what affects one's ranking?

Ok. Now this is clear from the FAQ, but you get rank points from

1)being online -- that is, logged in to Passport and an ancillary site, those being parts of the same act, at 2 points per hour to a daily maximum of 20 per day,and

2) torrent uploads, at .1 point per MB up to 100 per day.

Your score is just your cumulative number of points so far.

Do the number of downloads or uploads you make affect it?

No.

Does the time you leave tasks seeding affect it and so on?

No. Only 1) and 2) above, affect it.

And the second part of my question was whether a higher (2000000) or lower (1485701) ranking number is best?

Define "best" first, please.

Looking at the FAQ (which is, basically, the only source either of us has for this, I'm not privy to special knowledge or sources that you aren't), it appears that scoring is not, (contrary to my implication above) in any way relative to any other member.

Your score is your accumulated total of points, your rank is dependent on your score, it gets you what the FAQ says it gets you.

Yes, maybe all of this is "much ado about very little indeed"! But as BitComet uses this scoring and ranking system and displays users updated scores and ranking numbers in the user interface, I wanted to know what they meant and what affected each field. So I went to the FAQ to find out. But as the FAQ did not fully clarify the ranking number for me, I posted the question in here. So referring to your last remark, was it wrong of me to ask other members to explain such apparently trivial things to me?

It is in no sense wrong, but you should first understand that it's not worth, well, anything, really. The FAQ actually does explain more than you give it credit for. It's an extremely arbitrary system, not very well thought-out and just not significant enough to merit much attention. I suspect that you think there's more to the system than is actually there. It really is as stark and simple as it sounds.

You get points for being online, and points for uploading. The points are cumulative and are called a "score". When your score reaches certain levels, this gets you increases in rank. The rank gets you the valuable prizes the FAQ says it gets you. That's it, that's the whole system. There's nothing hidden, nothing obscure or hard to understand. It is in no sense a competition and it has no meaning beyond itself.

There is an old joke to the effect that the winner of this game gets a shiny, new Kopek as a prize. Second place gets two Kopeks.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hmm I am not sure here is the right place to ask it but I found unnecessary to create another topic for this question, so here it goes:

Even thou this is my first post in forums, I am very old in torrent world and in bitcomet as well. I have a very high ranking right now. (marshal) Just out of curiosity I calculated how can I get to max sovereign and I found out that even with highest daily score (which is 120), it will take another 8 years or so!!

Now please accept my apologies that I am asking this out of curiosity or in some egostatic way :P Is this even possible in practical meanings? Should there be not to gain more points in a day? or sovereign is just an illusionory score for not to reach by anybody?

Again it is not really important. I just wonder :)

Cheers

If we allowed users to advance more in a single day, then we'd need dozens (if not hundreds) of moderators to ban hackers trying to submit false upload stats. The current system is the only fair way to allow users to advance. If someone does attempt to cheat, then there is the daily limit to reduce the amount they can advance. Also, with so little to gain by cheating, it's doubtful anyone would risk losing their rank and status by doing so.

As for the top rank being hard to reach... if it was easy, then we'd need to install even higher ranks, so I think it's appropriate that it would take many years to get to the top.

However for all practical purposes, the ranking system doesn't mean much. It can get you more LTseed connections if your a higher rank, but in most cases, on torrents that have enough resources available to use all those connections, your bandwidth is usually maxed out anyway.

Higher ranks are fun, but that is about all it means, in most cases.

However for all practical purposes, the ranking system doesn't mean much. It can get you more LTseed connections if your a higher rank, but in most cases, on torrents that have enough resources available to use all those connections, your bandwidth is usually maxed out anyway.

Yeah I am aware of that, I already made it clear that was just a "out of curiosity" question and thx for the fast answer. It's good to know you guys take care us. :)

Higher ranks are fun, but that is about all it means, in most cases.

Hehe dont you think why I asked all about.... :)

See you all in 8 years :)

• 5 months later...

Seems to be some confusion even among the posters about what is being asked, and none of them seem to answer the question, so I'm going to try.

Your profile has basically 3 "scores""

Score: Number of points you have accumulated.

Title: Arbitrary "Rank" based on your score. You are a Captain at 5500 points and a Lt General at 66600 points.

Ranking: This is the one I think is being questioned. You ranking is a comparison to ALL other BC users. It is where you "rank" in the overall BC community. So I guess you could say a LOWER Ranking is "better"

EXAMPLE - My Score is 73701 and my Title is Lieutenant General. My Ranking of 32958 means that 32957 people registered with BC have a higher score than me, or rather that I have the 32958th highest Score on BC.

Example 2 - Some other arbitrary user I looked up, who's name is in Korean and I can't type it, has a Score of 92336, a Title of General and a Ranking of 15873. Meaning there are about 15000 users with a score higher than mine and lower than his. This guy is a General and there are still almost 16000 users with a higher Score than his.

All of which is fun to brag about but actually serves no purpose in the BC community. The only thing that has any effect is your Score/Title, which affects how many LT Seeds you can have, which is at best marginally useful as I have rarely had my max of 77 LT Seeds at one time anyway.

Hope this helped!