To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bitcomet.xml + Download/upload size issue?

G'Day,

1st time posting... I have searched around this forum and found some relevant topics however they still do not fully solve my issues.

I am using version 1.31 and have roughly downloaded around 20GB of torrent files however under my statistics it suggests i have downloaded 2.5GB? Also my stats in my Bitcomet.xml file do not seem to change even though the file modify date/time does every time i close down BitComet.They seem to stay static and through the UI it says I have uploaded 1.65GB?

<TotalUpload>572503720</TotalUpload>

<TotalDownload>2652480385</TotalDownload>

I have also noticed that my 2GB of uploaded stats from last night has disappeared. When i logged in this morning it was reset back to 0.5GB. My motherboard does have some issues and regularly crashes therefore i am wondering if BitComet is not closed down correctly that your stats are lost etc...

I also have a similar problem to this topic below. My session is always downloading. It is currently at 40MB even though i am not downloading anything. I ran Spybot and all was good and tried PG2 however it does not display any connections?

What is considered a session? If i close Bitcomet now & reopen it my session stats have not reset.

http://www.cometforums.com/topic/3929-what-is-bitcoment-0-70-downloading-in-the-backgroud/page__p__13574__hl__total%20downloaded__fromsearch__1#entry13574

Cheers in advance

mmg

Well, there's an announcement on top of this section called "Read This Before Posting"; you better read it and complete your post.

Then try posting some screenshots of the Statistics and Summary tabs at the beginning and at the end of a downloading session, when the readings should be different.

Uploading the .xml files from before and after a download session could also help.

I Have the same problem, which I posted under the "Bug Report" and reads:

Quote:

Now this is something new, though it may not be important, but I would like to know why it is happening.

I check the statistics dayly before I shut down my computer to know how much I have uploaded (Seeded) for that day, however and for the past few days, I found that both the total of downloading and uploading were set back to the previuos day, which means there are over than 2 GB of downloading and 10-12 GB of uploading are missing.

Just curious.

Unquote

Well, I am sorry that I forgot to mention the information required by "Read this before posting.

I have BitComet V.1.31

Wnidows XP Professional Pack 3

Internet Connection: ADSL

Modem and Router: TP Link

Avast antivirus and Zone Alarm Firewall

And thank you for your kind assistance.

Please don't post the same message in multiple forums. Once is enough.

ZoneAlarm has a long history of not playing well with P2P. I seriously suggest that you get rid of ZA, whatever else you do.

I don't recommend 3rd party firewalls for anybody, especially people without a great deal of computer experience. They take the problem of what might or might not be malicious communication and basically punt it to the least-qualified person (you) to decide - and they teach you to approve everything. The built-in Windows firewall is fully adequate, and the firewall in your router is your primary defense, as it should be. But even if you decide that you need a 3rd party firewall, make it something other than ZA.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

1. Posting the message here wasn't intentionally, but because I found that it was a similar one to the problem that I have addressed.

2. I do not know if you still considering me the least-qualified person taking in consideration that I started operating computers back in the 60s, when the CPUs were a mainfraim (A large digital computer serving 100-400 users and occupying a special huge air-conditioned room), there was no hard disks, no floppy disks no mother boards and no memory cards, just a small punching card that keep your data and worked exactly as the "Telex" used to work. then in the early 70s, I studied every programing languages (Basic, Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, and Data Base, until the 80s when I added the C++ programing languge to them.

I Used to fix my first Apple Macintosh personal computer back in early 80s, when the intrnal of the computers where fuses, circuits and transistors, and not just small chips and parts that you can replace it in a few minutes.

Well, sorry about that but I really felt offended, when you repeated my disqualification twice in your answer.

Above all, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate your assistance, nor means that I won't listen to you advice.

I will diable ZA for few days and see the result.

Thank you and have a great day.

I tried vainly to disable ZA, so I just uninstall it for now.

By the way, the windows xp firewall is useless, and that why we need a third party firewall.

Thank you again and have a nice day.

kluelos wasn't inferring anything about your knowledge of computers, he stated that a person that doesn't understand what each outgoing connection is will be hopelessly confused when constantly asked to approve a connection, and if they err on the side of caution and block connections, things stop working and require research to unblock, so they end up approving everything, so no point in having an outgoing firewall.

If you do know what to allow and not allow, then a 2way firewall is a very nice tool.

First of all thanks for both of you and I really appreciate your hard working no matter of what.

second, nothing have changed since I uninstalled ZA, which I have gave it full permission for Bitcomet, furthermore I am not going to reinstall it again anyhow,

This morning Bitcomet reset my total DL and UL to what it were aprox. 7 days ago and it still crushing almost after every download finishes (By the way I only download one file at a time). I tried to configure every other possibility for these problem in vain, and the way I see it, it might have something to do with other progrmas that either I have downloaded or uninstalled.

May be if I just uninstall Bitcomet and reinstall it again will solve this problem.

I am not worried about my scores and level because I know that, they are safe with you guys.

Thank you again and have a wonderful day.

(By the way I only download one file at a time).

By downloading one file at a time your forcing bitcomet to download the same pieces multiple times. This also makes you a much less attractive trading partner as there will be very few pieces that interest you, and very few you have to offer. Your performance will be poor and you'd waste a lot of bandwidth. Torrents aren't designed to work this way and even though it is possible to disable files in a torrent, it's a very bad idea to do so. The only time I'd recommend doing this is if you never intend to download the file.

I think he rather means he's downloading a task at a time, rather than a file at a time. I may be wrong though.

Anyway, this is getting way off track. Let's stick to the issue here.

Can anyone confirm that their statistics aren't updated in the download/upload values on every session?

Thank you greywizard, that's exactly what I meant.

Now back to the issue.

I did uninstall and reinstalled Bitcomet and downloaded a new episode of tv. series, in which Bitcomet crushed again at the end of the downloading, then start automatically resetting both total uploads and downloads to "0".

At this time I uninstalled Bitcomet again, cleaned up my computer with several cleaners (CCleaner, Ace and Glary Utilities and Auslogics Boost Speed). I checked every piece of my hardwares and reboot my computer, then downloaded a new fresh version of Bitcomet, when suddenly I recalled that one of our friends in this forum declared that he solved the problem by unchecking the box beside "Add.bc to file extention to unfinished file", so I did that in the option, then added the old task that I did not seed enough at the time and downloaded a new episode of a tv. series (Actually these tv. series is all what I download with bitcomet as I have no access to any of the American and Canadian tv. shows, where I live.) And here we are?

All problems solved

No crushing and no resetting.

I did download another 3 episodes one at a time and no one crush occurred.

I closed Bitcomet and reboot my computer, and soon as Bitcomet started I checked the statics and everything was perfect.

The bottomline is That, though this is a minor problem as it is not affecting the original downloads niether the ratio rate nor the level, scores, title or ranks, and the crush followed by an automatic re-strating, beside the statistics issue is only involve few people who are interested in it, then yet if anyone felt annoyed (like me) by this problem, then all what he has to do is:

Go to "option", click on the "Task" then uncheck the box beside "Add.bc to file extention to unfinished file" and I hope it will work.

I Would like to extend my thanks and appreciation to all the staff working in Bitcomet, and especially to Kluelos, The Unusual Suspect and greywizard, may God bless you all and have a wonderful day.

please clarify, are you downloading one file at a time, or one torrent at a time? it sounds by your description that you have a torrent with multiple episodes and your downloading them one at a time, which isn't recommended.

Dear friend, The Unusual Suspect,

I have already explained my experience when it comes to computers and I didn't reply to your message directly because I thought that it doesn't really matter and wanted other people who might read this topic to learn something from you. What you have said is an important facts when it comes to file sharing, which most people don't understand how they got it.

However, I did reply in the first line indirectly when I thanked greywizard and told him "that's exactly what I meant" referring to the first line of his comment.

I am downloading one task at a time and that task is usually one episode that has been shown in the previous two days in either United States or Canada (Because we are one day ahead in time) and although there may be more than one show that I am interested of, I always download one episode at a time and when it finished downloading (Which is ususall about 10 minutes) I start downloading the second one.

Even if I have no time to check with the torrent site multiple times and decided to download several episodes of different shows at a time, you know that Bitcomet has a unique feature letting you to decide whether to download now or later, so I usually request Bitcomet to download the first one now and the rest as "Later", then start downloading what ever been queued one by one in a later time.

Why I do that? because if anything happened during my downloading such as electricity failure or a hardware malfunction, I only might lose or have a corrupted download with one task, which is easy to download it again, becide it is much faster to download one task at a time than multiple ones.

I hope that my answer is satisfying and wish you a pleasant day.

Sorry guys, there is still something wrong somewhere, as of this morning I noticed that the total download remain right at one GB, which I downloaded yesterday, however the total upload was reset to only 195 MB, which is way below the actual one, as the four tasks that I am seeding where all over 3:1 in each ratio rate, which means that the total upload should be atleast 3 GB or more.

I will start again to locate the problem and post again if there is any good news.

For my friend The UnUsual Suspect, again I afraid that you may misunderstand me, I am not dowloading a whole series, one episode at a time, it is only one fresh episode that recently shown on the tv. and this episode is the whole file in the task.

Thank you and have a nice day

• 2 weeks later...

I think the whole problem lies on the sudden shut down of Bitcomet, I noticed that when ever bit comet forced to shut down either by power failure or, shutting down the computert before exiting Bitcomet causes the total downloads, uploads in the statistics to be reset.

For the past few days I have made sure that Bitcomet was completely closed down before shutting my computer and not only by seeing the program disappear but also by checking my task manager. and the result was great, no more reset.

However, when the power cut off suddenly (which happens frequently in the country where I live) and the computer goes off without proper shut down to Bitcomet, then the rest occurs again.

I hope this answer will satisfy everybody.

Thank you all again and have a nice day

When you say "crush" instead of "crash", nobody's really sure what you mean, but that does cause a lot of doubt about how much computer experience you really have. Nobody that I have ever met or talked to in over thirty years of working with computers has ever called a catastrophic system or application failure a "crush". Why do you, if not from lack of experience?

As a general rule for all application software, a catastrophic failure leaves the software in an unknown and unpredictable state. It would be expected that not all tasks which should be accomplished during an orderly shutdown, get accomplished in the event of a crash. This would include recording statistics correctly. Depending on precisely what the application is doing at the moment of the crash, corrupted and unreadable files or entries are very possible. If I find that the statistics are corrupt after a crash, I am not the least bit surprised.

The real question is, why are you?

Thank you for your comment and as much as I have tried to be polite and nice with you, there are sometimes people who simply do not deserve it.

Not every member in this forum or any other forums are born in an English native country and for your information, English is not even my second language, but I try my most and that is the best I can come with, so if you wish or desire to become an English teacher then go for it because it seems that this is all what do you really good at.

And why I am surprised?, well it is because this is the only single thing (Total download, upload) that is failed to function correctly. If I am downloading or seeding, every task resume its job normaly, even the down size, up size and share ratio all are on the right path, that is why.

This subject took much longer than it deserve, and I think it is the time to be closed.

I promiss that I will never ever join your forum again as long as you are arround, and if I faced any real problems in the future I will just follow your advise to another member in this forum and join Utorrent where the people might loves us there.

Even if I have no time to check with the torrent site multiple times and decided to download several episodes of different shows at a time, you know that Bitcomet has a unique feature letting you to decide whether to download now or later, so I usually request Bitcomet to download the first one now and the rest as "Later", then start downloading what ever been queued one by one in a later time.

Why I do that? because if anything happened during my downloading such as electricity failure or a hardware malfunction, I only might lose or have a corrupted download with one task, which is easy to download it again, becide it is much faster to download one task at a time than multiple ones.

That can be done automatically by queuing the other tasks (BitComet->Options->Task->Maximum number of concurrent BitTorrent downloading tasks=1).

And why I am surprised?, well it is because this is the only single thing (Total download, upload) that is failed to function correctly. If I am downloading or seeding, every task resume its job normaly, even the down size, up size and share ratio all are on the right path, that is why.

That's because those stats are updated periodically while BitComet has that task running and changes occur. The Downloads.xml file is fully updated only when you exit BitComet properly. It's done this way to limit disk writes, decrease probability of file corruption, and increase performance in lower end PCs.

PS:

What is it with geniuses and people skills? :D

In the period before World War II, Einstein was so well known in America that he would be stopped on the street by people wanting him to explain "that theory". He finally figured out a way to handle the incessant inquiries. He told his inquirers "Pardon me, sorry! Always I am mistaken for Professor Einstein.

At a first impression you might think Kluelos's attitude towards you is harsh, but after decades(I think) of dealing with the ever heightening "user friendliness" of PC's and the results it brings to the end user's knowledge and sense of entitlement, for nothing more than a "THANK YOU", I for one am surprised he kept his sanity intact, a thing to be at least admired.

Utorrent where the people might loves us there.
I have it in good authority to doubt that, but by all means go ahead and try to appeal to their good nature.