To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Bind to a specific network interface (Windows).

torromania

Like some other programs (TeamSpeak server, Web-servers etc.).

Is that possible?

E.g. I have a few IPs and one NIC (or two, doesen't matter) with local IP 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. I want to bind BitComet to 192.168.1.2.

Not necessarily through an interface, command line will be enough :)

Thank you.

I did googling :(

• 3 months later...

Hi 

It may be too late. But I might have a workaround for you which I use.

You can setup a local proxy on your computer through some third party applications which allows you to specify the IP address and gateway to use. Then all you have to do is configure the proxy in your Bitcomet.

Hope it helps. 

The OP is using a level one address and proxies aren't any use there. What he's looking for is setting up his router for the LAN - that's normally done in the router itself by using a port forwarding to match ports from the router and the computer.

For example:

Name      Port No Protocol IP Address

Bitcomet 12345 TCP&UDP 192.168.0.2

Edited by Rhubarbfian (see edit history)

Well I'll explain the concept in a better way.

The idea is to run your own proxy server. You can use third party applications to set up your own proxy server that runs on your computer. These proxy servers allows the user to specify which ip address and gateway to use, like the OP asked. Now that the proxy server is setup, you just configure the bitcomet with your local proxy server settings. 

Since its running on your own computer, host name of localhost should suffice and the port on which the server is running.

Port forwarding is a good solution but its only useful for inbound connections as outbound connections will be made through the default ip that is gonna be used for all services by that computer.

I am not sure if I am at liberty to mention the proxy server application that I use.

Edited by showstoppre (see edit history)

Why on earth would someone need to use a proxy server for a LAN address (which is what was asked)???????????

The question asked was  " I have a few IPs and one NIC (or two, doesen't matter) with local IP 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. I want to bind BitComet to 192.168.1.2. "

Boy this is turning to more of an argument.

Hear me out.

I have a NIC with two ip addr 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. Lets assume all the connections by default are made with source ip addr 192.168.1.1. I want the connected made by bitcomet should be with source ip 192.168.1.2,

Now I'm gonna setup a Socks 5 proxy server using Wingate which provides an option to select the source ip addr. I'm gonna choose 192.168.1.2 as source ip and any available gateway. Lets say this proxy server is bound to my software loopback interface on port 1080.

So the only thing left now is to setup the proxy info in Bitcomet.

Proxy type - Socks 5

Proxy addr - 127.0.0.1

Port - 1080

End result is that all the connections made by Bitcomet will be with source ip 192.168.1.2 which is exactly what the OP said  " I want to bind BitComet to 192.168.1.2. "

192.168.###.### are Level One addresses - they're LAN and NOT WAN so no need for a 'proxy'. You only need a proxy server to hide your WAN address. The method I set out is simple, straightforward and no need to use a loopback

Sorry. But your method has a flaw.

Your method simply won't work for outbound connections.

Port forwarding is for incoming connections. The purpose of port forwarding is to forward the incoming packets arriving at the WAN port to a host which is listening on a port within LAN and not the other way around.

Level One addreses are NOT proxy servers - they're internal LAN addresses. A 'proxy' is generally accepted as a WAN address that routes your existing WAN IP via another online server. Feel free to refer to a DMZ  a 'proxy' if you wish, but don't for one moment think that it actually is one. The clue is the address - a 192.168.###.### address never goes anywhere except an internal LAN. A proxy is online. It's usual purpose in life is to 'spoof' an IP to bypass a blocked website

First of all, my solution is a workaround and it does exactly what the OP asks for. If you haven't tried what I'm suggesting you wouldn't know. 

We are getting nowhere with this thread. As long as you are gonna consider proxy as just a means to **spoof** your IP you wouldn't get the point. Feel free to PM me and we'll sort out our misunderstandings.

But before that, please ask yourself one thing.

Now that you're BC port is mapped in the router, will all connections made by BC goes through the IP 192.168.1.2?

is this discussion about using multiple network adapters in the same computer simultaneously?  This has become possible since Vista. I experimented with it using both wifi and ethernet on the same router and could get LAN speeds upto 1.300mb/s, 1000 ethernet and 300mb/s wifi N, but pointless for internet connections available then, or even today.