To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

All of a sudden "Yellow Port"

jimking

Hi all friends of the community.I use Bitcomet for some years without problem.I download with very good speed for my connection.(My line stats 1020up / 13703down kbps and my speed is always 1,5 mb/sec)

However last 3 days my port is blocked.However and this is strange i can still download with top speed between 1,4 and 1,5mb/sec so its very strange.I didn't download any program except some games.I use windows 10 and my router is a Technicolor TD5136V2.My port is open and i also have an exception on firewall,nothing changed since my old good setup.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks in advanced.

12 minutes ago, Rhubarbfian said:

change your port number and set up the router port forwarding to the new number (and remove that screen dump and blank out your wan IP address before you get hit with a script kiddy)

I already did it.No progress.And i dont have any firewall and no antivirus.

PS theres no way to edit my previous picture.

There should be an edit function - posting yout IP address is even worse than posting your e-mail.

If you are using Windows, you may find that the built-in forewall has kicked in (you can set BC to bypass that). You could try a fresh install and see if that works (if you copy the bitcomet folder from C:\User\name\appdata\roaming your actual .torrent files are in there.

One other possibility is your ISP is blocking the port (they can do that). Try changing it to something in the 14,000 to 15,000 range but it MUST match the port forwarding in the router

IM our resident tame eagle and ask him to delete the post (hopefully before some idiot catches it)

Edited by Rhubarbfian (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Rhubarbfian said:

One thought. The problem I mentioned earlier happened after a recent MS update to W10 - did you try uninstalling the last couple of updates to see if that fixed it?

I already did what you said with no luck.However after a reset from the router interface and forward the doors once again the problem fixed.Just like that.I don't know what was wrong.Thanks once again my friend.Merry Christmas to all of you guys.

Some pointers when dealing with blocked ports. First step is to confirmed the port is actually blocked and it's not just bitcomet's test that is blocked. One easy way to test is at canyouseeme.org. If they confirm your port is blocked then it's likely you have a bad setting on your firewall, router, or other security software. If you suspect the problem is in your router, the easiest way to confirm is to bypass the router (as a test) if possible. Plug directly into your modem and see if the port is now open. If it is, you have a problem with your portforward setting. One common issue if the port worked but suddenly became blocked is your LAN IP address may have changed. Confirm the lan IP listed in bitcomet matches the IP in your portforward setting. In some cases rebooting can change your lan IP address. Your ISP can change your WAN IP, but that won't matter unless they have inbound connections blocked. 

Note: if you have mobile broadband from a cellular provider they are almost always blocked because it's not a full internet connection, so in these cases the only cure is to get a full internet connection, or just live with the fact that remote peers will not be able to connect to you.

Also note that you could have more than one thing blocking you, you could also have more than one router and not even know it which is common when your internet is provided with phone or tv service through a device which are often also a router.

Regarding BitComets port test. When you start bitcomet it will attempt to contact our server which will in turn attempt to send a connection to your computer, if it gets through your light will turn green (active test), if it fails the light will turn yellow. If the server cannot be reached it will indicate grey, meaning test was not done. If you have a yellow light and one or more of your tasks acquires remote peer connections the light will turn to green (passive test). This is one of the best testing systems offered by any client, but it's not perfect because it requires on a remote server working and requires you are able to connect to it. IP filters like peerblock/peerguardian/protowall etc can interfere with this process because some block lists don't like programs that "call home", so if you use any block lists you can get a list of the IPs that bitcomet uses on our wiki site at wiki.bitcomet.com to make an allow list. 

Resetting the router on a regular basis is, generally, a good idea. I help out in Second Life for support on one of the third party viewers and it's very common for people to get a poor transfer rate which is fixed, in most cases, by a simple reset of their router (power down for a couple of minutes and then power back up).

I'll admit that I forgot about that here as I actually have had to reset the router on occasions because Bit Comet wasn't connecting properly.

On 14/12/2016 at 8:44 AM, The UnUsual Suspect said:

I removed the screenshot from view, and it was showing the wan ip correctly.

LOL... I hadn't gotten to the end of the thread and I edited your posted screenshot... :D

I just hope that you were fast enough hiding it before some idiot decided to target it. Another forum I worked on had us editing e-mail addresses like crazy because some people thought they would get personal replies to their problems not realising they were just volunteering to be on a spammer's list

• Like 1

I doubt there is much risk here, we try to stay under the radar here and don't deploy methods of generating traffic and I can count the number of people who viewed that post on my fingers, plus a good router and firewall combination will keep out all but the most talented script-kiddies even if they know your wan, lan and port numbers.

Several things you can do if you are concerned, change your port number, change your lan IP, release your routers IP and you may get a new wan IP, but to be honest, even if they got my wan/lan/port numbers, I wouldn't lose any sleep. Unless there was a major hole in my firewall and in bitcomet, and in windows, then there is nothing they could do, and even if there is some yet to be discovered hole, I don't keep anything important on my torrent computer. 

But I do agree it's best to play it safe which is why I hid the screenshot when I saw it.