To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to ban uTorrent clients???

I'm constantly getting peers that are using uTorrents that are getting such high upload speeds from me, whereas they're only contributing a tiny fraction of download speed. WTF. I'm constantly having to watch and ban them until another uTorrent client does the same thing.

How can I prevent uTorrent peers from connecting to my computer? Is this possible? I sure hope so.

Thanks.

Utorrent is a fine client, and it in no ways leeches from torrents

edit by Suspect

Edited by The UnUsual Suspect (see edit history)

Man, you keep killing BitTorrent network.

Maybe your leechers have some other tasks to seed... If you think you upload too much, use global/task upload speed limiters.

BTW, if you think download speed is affected by client... Take their uTorrent and see for yourself ;)

I just don't get the point... What is all this about?

• You want to stimulate them to use BitComet? They'll never get to know why you left seeding...
  • You think BitComet is the best client out there? I'm thinking so too. Why don't you let them try worse clients first and then switch to better?
  • Your upload slows your download? Use limiters.
  • "Sharing is caring", you know? If you ban leechers (remember, you've been a leecher, too), you will get enough ratio to stop seeding much later. Personally, I never stop seeding until 1.0 ratio (except fake/bad/non-working torrents).

I don't know why banning was added to BitComet, and I'm against banning users for their clients/countries/what-else-you-think-of...

And if a knew a way to do this, I wouldn't let you know. We're too different...

I'm constantly getting peers that are using uTorrents that are getting such high upload speeds from me, whereas they're only contributing a tiny fraction of download speed. WTF. I'm constantly having to watch and ban them until another uTorrent client does the same thing.

How can I prevent uTorrent peers from connecting to my computer? Is this possible? I sure hope so.

Thanks.

If I understood you correctly, you want to ban leechers who can download better from you than you from the others. Maybe you are in queue or you have all pieces, which those leechers don't have and few of them have what you need ... Limit your upload and that's it. Or find another torrents with good amount of seeders.

I have read somewhere that if a leecher is about to dowload the same piece of file from you and from anybody else it will choose better connection. Consequently you will, in fact, upload more slowly. It is better sometimes to have fewer uploads and have upload transfer higher than a lot of open slots and upload transfer less than 1kB/s. Some tracker control ratio of download to upload and if sombody abuses it the connection is limited and in extreme circumstances leecher's banned from the tracker. So I wouldn't worry about it.

On the other hand I don't care that somebody take 35kB/s from me as long as I need internet, because then I limit upload tr. until I finish it :).

The banning system was only inputted for various reasons but not for users to ban those from another client. This system is mainly used for banning those who cheat the torrent network, i.e. if it was Private Torrent, and there were users using BitComet versions 0.60 or 0.59 mainly to cheat the tracker.

[Amusingly I saw this kind of topic in Utorrent with users asking uTorrent to ban this client] But as you know, no matter how good or bad a client is, developers will never if rarely impose straight bans on users who are using another client.]

• 3 months later...

Even though I typically vote against posting in a four month old thread, but this pops up in google and well... I want my say.

I would like to state that I fully support banning leachers. If there is a person taking more then their fair share I will not hesitate to kick them off my connection. I mean there are some people pulling 200kb/s out of me while the rest of the swarm are lagging behind at 10kb/s or lower. These people should allways be kicked out of the swarm because they cause more harm then good, expecally since Bit Torrent Clients allow their users to set seeding limits.

This is preposterious, I often see Torrent users setting their upload limit to far less then what it can handle, I say never set an upload limit. Only time I limited my upload was when it was ten times that of my download, and only by half (unfortunatly, my download suffered instead of thrived after that). But if people are setting their upload at 50kb/s when they are on a DSL line... they really need to be shot.

Another note I would like to make is that if you seed to a leacher only to get the ratio up you are worse then the leacher because you know leechers will quit their BT Client the instant the torrent is finished and therefore you pointlessly gave them the files they wanted.

In the endrun, the torrent system needs to inforce a system that meaninfully deals with these leachers by only allowing their connection if they seed at a certain rate. And even if you 'shared' your ratio turning off seeding is a rat b****** thing to do. You wouldn't like it if the person you were downloading from kicked you off simply because they shared 3x the torrent (even worse if less).

This is preposterious, I often see Torrent users setting their upload limit to far less then what it can handle, I say never set an upload limit. Only time I limited my upload was when it was ten times that of my download, and only by half (unfortunatly, my download suffered instead of thrived after that). But if people are setting their upload at 50kb/s when they are on a DSL line... they really need to be shot.

Some people just like to be able to actually use their internet for more than just downloading/uploading torrents, so the limits have to be in place to keep the general browsing, chats, etc running without lags, and in-home networks also need some bandwidth.. So the limits aren't a bad thing, it just means people will take longer to hit that 1.0 mark we all enjoy..

Haha typically, the DSL users can be pictured as those who are purely leechers especially on public trackers.

But the fact is, even if you're uploading i.e. 40 kb/s to say User A, User A may just well be uploading at 80 kb/s, except not to you. So, don't misinterpret these users as pure leechers.

I find that in certain public torrents where you seem to upload more than you download (assuming you've already set your upload caps, portforwarded, etc), it's best to stop the torrent completely. Then start it again, this allows you to connect to new peers.

Necroposting is such fun.

Almost nobody has a DSL connection that permits 50 KB/s upload speeds. Only the very high-end, expensive connections have an upload pipe that large. Your connection probably isn't that large. (Hey, you should be shot!)

Home broadband connections are sold as 1 Mbps, or 2 Mbps, but anyone who has bothered to check understands that this speed is in the downstream direction only. The upstream side isn't anywhere close to that. This is called an "asymmetric" connection, and it's the "A" in "ADSL", which is what almost all of them are. If you ignored the first letter, well, whose fault was that? If you want an SDSL connection, you can get it, but you have to ask for it specifically. Oh, and it will also cost you a great deal more per month.

Bram Cohen understands this, and created a protocol to adapt to it so that the average person could also upload and share files despite that. It's called "bittorrent".

The nature of the network is such that you do not know, can not know, what any other client in the swarm is doing. The aggregate swarm makes its own determination, and there is absolutely no method of knowing what's "best" without being able to see the entire network and all of the connections.

Put another way, there's this guy you want to ban as a leecher because he's downloading a lot from you and not uploading much. We'll go look at his POV, and find that HE wants to ban somebody ELSE as a leecher because they're downloading so much from him and not uploading much. So we'll go look at the third guy's POV, and he's not happy either, because YOU are downloading so much from him without uploading much, and he wants to ban YOU as a leecher.

Shall we ban all the leechers? All three of you? Or shall we let the network make its own determinations and not try to disturb an arrangement we don't understand and can't know much more about?

I agree with Mosillivo that BitComet should never has the option to let users set an upload limit because I believe many users underutilize their upload bandwidth. Let BitComet set it automatically (maybe 80%of avaialble upload bandwidth, as mentioned in the setting guide). Just imagine the whole community will suffer if everyone set the global upload limit to 10kB/s! Besides, I set my global upload limit to No Limit and it seems just fine.

I also don't think BitComet should have the option to ban other users as well. Like Kluelos said, basically we do not know what is going on within the swarm. Just because someone upload less to you and download more from you doesn't mean that this person doesn't want to share it with you or set the upload limit low. This is how BitComet works so just accept it. Because the type of torrents that I download has very few peers (often connected to less than 5 directly), I have the (tough) luck to observe how BitComet works. And I don't understand it because experience with one torrent may not be the same with another torrent. For example, this torrent that I am seeding I send out a lot of data, but the other torrent I hardly send out any. At times, there are torrents where I get data from many of the peers I connect to, but for another torrent, it seems like I get about 99% of the file from specific 1 or 2 peers that I connect to. So, since we are not 100% sure, don't assume everything is people's fault. Instead, most likely, this is how BitComet works. Cheer up!

Whenever I sees KB/s Peer Dn of more than 100kB/s, I don't feel so jealous that I must ban the guy from download from me. If the person wants to share, it's good to let him/her has the complete copy. If not, it's best to let that guy get the complete copy and get lost as soon as possible so that peers can send data to other people!

K.C

Good post, with some very good insite, except the following...

Bit torrent protocall already restricts users that limit their upload rate, and forcing people to use more then optimal will slow down their interaction in the swarm.

All good clients allow limiting upload speed both globally, and specific to each torrent. This is a must in configuring your client.

I agree with Mosillivo that BitComet should never has the option to let users set an upload limit because I believe many users underutilize their upload bandwidth. Let BitComet set it automatically (maybe 80%of avaialble upload bandwidth, as mentioned in the setting guide).

Suspect