To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

Version Upgrading ?

Hi all,

I want to upgrade my BitComet client version from 0.68 to 0.70, so it is recommended to uninstall the old version and install the new one, or install it in the folder where my old version is in without uninstalling this last ?

Thenks.

Installing the new right over the old is usually fine.

The exception is if you're doing it because you're having strange problems with the old version. In that case you want to not only uninstall the older one, but then delete the directory and all its contents by hand if anything's left behind, as well as anything it might have left in the %appdata% folder.

But be careful doing this. Save off any unfinished torrents and any downloads in progress or you'll lose them.

Looks like you should try doing the complete removal and reinstall then. If you look at your program directory, you should be able to see which subdirectories you need to save, if any, before you do.

If it still gives you these problems, you can downgrade in exactly the same way you upgraded.

It seems to depend on your particular system, according to what various people are reporting. Some are finding 0.70 pretty stable, for others its 0.64. I don't think anyone's really tracking, though, and that's a shame. Key is what works best for you.

Hmm, I hope our crashreport.exe ran at the same time when your client crashed. This way we may be able to diagnose the issue.

As for upgrading/reverting, you may also want to uninstall your current version first, then delete your 'bc_cache' file contents:

Its locations in 9x/me & XP: c:\windows\temp\bc_cache\ or c:\documents and settings\\local settings\temp\bc_cache\

Once both of these are deleted/uninstalled, try installing 0.70 again. Should this issue arise again, please post a bug report in our "Report Bugs" section, and if needed revert to 0.64 in the meantime.

When I do this - uninstall the old version and delete the bc_cache. What then - I need to install the new version change the download folder to the current download folder and BC will add all of my unfinished torrents again? I need to manual hash check the unfinished torrents and everything will be back to normal? Is that right??

deleteing the "bc_cache" folder will not mess with your unfinished downloads. The .xml file cotaining the information is stored in "C:\Program Files\BitComet\Torrents" along with the .torrent files you currently have loaded.

So just delete that "bc_cache" folder then it should be safe for you install over your old version. B)

Thank you.

I think the important files that need to be backup are:

1. Your C:\Program Files\BitComet\Torrents folder - info for your unfinished torrents

2. C:\Program Files\Bitcomet\BitComet.xml - configuration file - not so important

3. C:\Program Files\BitComet\Downloads.xml - info for your unfinished torrents.

Soraiya will you please confirm this? That I will not lose my unfinished downloads and everything will be ok if I backup these three elements and make a clean install of new version.

Edited by dimchopicha2003 (see edit history)

I've made a test. To make a clean install of a new/old version and to save your current download tasks and state you must backup:

1. All torrent files *.bc and folders that are in your download folder for BC if it is the default download folder - "C:\Program Files\BitComet\Downloads\"

2. "C:\Program Files\BitComet\Torrents\" folder (thanks to Dark_Shroud)

3. "C:\Program Files\BitComet\Downloads.xml" file

I don't need to backup 1. my torrent *.bc files because my download folder is "D:\Downloads\" and it will not be affected by install-uninstall.

So I need to backup only 2. and 3. items.

Then uninstall, delete every instance of Bitcomet including "C:\Documents And Settings\%user%\Local Settings\Temp\bc_cache\" folder (thanks to Soraiya and Dark_Shroud) and for advanced users who know what they are doing delete all registry BC keys.

Install the new/old version. Restore 1. 2. and 3. items.

If you changed the download folder from "C:\Program Files\BitComet\Downloads\" to something else don't forget after the install to change it back to the folder that it was: "options->preferences->task->download->default download path". For me I must change it to "D:\Downloads\".

Enjoy. :P

Edited by dimchopicha2003 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I seem to be having the same prob, I have unistalled & installed a couple of the bitcomet version but cant get anythiing to dl now, no seeds/peers/no websites available either throu Bc its completely dead, can anyone help , dont know how to check ports etc .sorry...im very good at all this when there isnt a problem !! strange that isnt it.

much help appreciated.

Nicola

Hi

Yes , i have deleted them , so no bc_cache folders ,

It wont let me delete the bc folder under c:program files/bitcomet , it says' cannot delete Realmediasplitter.ax:Access denied , and the file is not in use - dont know if that makes a difference...

Ive managed to get it to work !!! by changing the destination folder slightly on the new bc 0.70 , not sure how its worked but I dont care as seems to have sorted itself out..

Thanks anyway dark shroud and a potential congratualions on what will be your 300th posting for the next member in trouble !

happy downloading !!

Nicola

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok, in a huge dilemma......

I have done a clean format of my main drive......nothing is left...accept I backed up the BC download folder and restored it after installing everything.

Now I can't see or continue my previous downloads. Oh help please.....