To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

torrent download 'resets' problem

m60gunner29

I just ran into a problem downloading a torrent. I was downloading it no problem but when it got th the very end of the file, it went from 99% complete to 0% complete and started to download it all again. I went and checked the download location and found that the whole file had indeed been downloaded (according to the file size) however it still had a .bc file extension. Also there was another file in the download location as if it was trying to download it all again. I deleted the second partial download, left the original supposedly complete .bc file and went back and tried to download the original again. Bit comet told me 'torrent file appears in your history it appears you have downloaded this task before' but if I tell it to continue download it does the same thing, downloading a new complete file instead of completing the old 'apparently complete' file. Specifics are as follows:

1) What version of BitComet are you using? bitcomet 1.21

2) What type of Internet connection do you have (ADSL, etc.)? cable modem

3) Do you have a modem? Do you use a router? What make and model are each one of them? Have you forwarded your port? motorolla surfboard sb5101 no router

4) If you have more than one router, be sure to mention the make and model of both devices, how are they connected (i.e. in which connector of both devices is the network cable plugged) and which one of the devices is connected to or is the modem. Also, if you have more than one computer make sure to mention in this case, to which router is every one of them connected. - no router single computer

5) What version of Windows, Firewall and Antivirus do you use? - windows 7 windows firewall avast antivirus

6) If you are asking about a specific torrent or file that you have downloaded, make sure that you include the complete torrent name, as well as the complete names of the files and their respective extensions/formats (e.g.: .rar, .wma, .bin, .cue, etc.). - Four_Lions_2010_Clear.torrent from btjunkie listing:

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Four-Lions-2010-CLEAR/435889fcf72b4449e8345b8165749b0ce0a651af6dc1

I just dont understand why the download resets every time it gets to 100% and it starts re downloading the whole file again instead of just finishing the original. Per the file size you would think it is completely downloaded but it bitcomet wont change the file extension to avi or somehow 'complete the download'

There are a couple possibilities here. One is that when you start the task, what looks to you to be "downloading" is really just hashchecking existing files. It will check them until it reaches 100%, then begin downloading. The file that appears to be there and seems complete judging by the file size is an empty file waiting to be completed.

This is the most common reason for the behavior your reporting, but is not a problem. I'm not saying this is what's happening, its just a possibility.

So lets do some testing. First thing I want you to do is stop the torrent, then do a "manual rehash/hashcheck". This is the same procedure described above but don't at your command, not automatically.

Note: BitComet will only do a hashcheck PRIOR to download if ANY of the files to be downloaded exist already, or files of the same name. It's possible some kind of error when opening the torrent required you to open it a second time, then the hash check starts and looks like downloading, it completes then the download begins at 0%.

After your manual hash check, it will either register 100% IF you actually do have the files downloaded, or 0% if they are not.

Also note that bitcomet will never fully redownload any file. Even if a file is corrupt, that file is made up of tiny pieces and it's these pieces that bitcomet uses/tests, so a corrupt file of 1000mb will likely need less then 1mb of data to fix a corrupt download. Because of this, users that delete and redownload files manually are doing so out of ignorance, as it's completely unnecessary.

Let us know what you find out after your rehash of the files, then we can try to piece together what has happened.

Thanks for your help. I did a manual rehash and after checking it reported that I only had 4.5% of the torrent downloaded which is odd because I watched it for about an hour and half as it went from 1% to 99% complete during download. But manual rehash said it was only at 4.5% actually. It did register large enough to preview and in that tiny preview I could see the torrent was a fake torrent or at least not what the title said.

I'm still not sure what would cause the torrent to act like it downloaded, then reset and re download at completion but in any event the troubled torrent was no good.

I do appreciate your help. At least I learned about manual hash checking. :)

Sounds like there is something really nasty in that data, perhaps malware or viruses. Without a lot of hands-on testing, I can't tell you exactly, but it could be that your anti-virus deleted the download as soon as it completed, recognizing it was malicious, or perhaps the completed files infected your computer. I'd recommend you scan for threats as soon as possible, and always check the comments on torrents before downloading. More experienced users will alert you when there are threats or fake torrents like this.

You must also be sure of what you are seeing. The file download counter has two functions, and it is not necessarily obvious which one it is performing at the moment.

Well, no, it is obvious, just rather subtle. While downloading, the file status says "downloading", but while hash checking the file status says "Hash-checking". Also the task icon changes color.

During a hash check the completion counter is used to show the amount that has been hash-checked out of what has been downloaded so far. That, is, it goes from 0 to 100% of what you have already downloaded, not 100% of the torrent that is available to download. If you've only downloaded 12% of the file and a hash-check is done, then the completion indicator goes from 0 to 100% checked, but only of that 12%.

Thus, if you happen to glance at it at the wrong moment, without understanding or noticing what you're seeing, you can gain the impression that some percentage has already been downloaded, when it has not been.

Just to add a little more... if you go back to the original site that you obtained the torrent from (using the same link that you, yourself, provided), take a look at the comments other users have posted (someone has already remarked and classified it as being "fake").

If you really want to be a good peer in the community, you should also (whenever it's possible) add your own comment, in order to warn others of said problem.

Many users, all too often see that someone has rated the torrent in question as being "Good" (without adding any comments as to Video/Audio quality, etc.), while someone else has rated it as "Low Quality" (or something else) - again, without any sort of written comment. Unfortunately, when there is lack of a written explanation as to why the torrent was rated a certain way, the would-be downloader has no option but to download it himself, in order to see which rating he agrees with... something that could be avoided, if the previous posters had been dilligent enough to explain why they deemed the download to be good, fake, or whatever. It's just a matter of being friendly and polite (and much appreciated by those of us who hate having to guess and will, in any case, post their own comments afterwards). In essence, "do unto others as..." . :)

• 10 years later...