To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

It's entirely possible that whoever owns the access point simply wised up enough to turn on the firewall, or somebody who knew what they were doing configured the thing for them.

Without control of it, there's nothing you can do on your end except to try the downgrade that TUUS suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, apologies if this in anyway has been posted before but i havent found it.

I access internet via HTC phone tethered to my laptop (windows7) and my listen port always shows blocked. Have run online test and all ports show as being stealthed. now i dont know if this relates to phone or the laptop. Have googled to no avail. Am not sure if the phone is what you would class as acting as the router here and if its settings can be changed.

Any pointers appreciated.

Most wireless connection are by default firewalled at the router end, especially those ones using mobile phone technology.

Since in case of mobile connections (as well as WiMax) the router end is at the ISP site, you'll be firewalled, period.

There is nothing you can do to open your port in this case, short of contacting your ISP and asking them to open a port for you (though that's quite improbable).

While mobile connections are a good choice for connecting to Internet for persons who don't have other options due to the area where they live, you need to acknowledge that wireless connections will provide you with only a part of the capabilities and possibilities of a wired Internet connection (i.e. you won't usually be able to use on your machine any of the technologies which require you to have an open port, such as P2P client, setting up a server of any kind, remotely accessing your PC through dynamic DNS, etc.).

This is not because it's technologically impossible to have open ports by default for a wireless connection but because it implies additional security risks and most ISPs will just have a default policy of blocking all incoming connections in the firewall.

Thanks greywizzard, a bit clearer now, i do get download speeds on bitcomet of upto 150kB/s so bearable. As i live on isle without phoneline or mains electricty it is my only way for internet connection. The price you have to pay etc etc. thanx again.

In your situation you may want to explore other options out there too, such as HTTP/FTP sites and Usenet.

Those protocols don't need an open port on any of their clients, in order to do their job properly.

BitTorrent clients will still run albeit slowly (in "no listening" mode). However on very well seeded torrents your speeds may be a little higher.

Also it may be worth exploring with your ISP if they don't have any "higher" or "richer" Internet plan where they offer you a full Internet connection perhaps for a small additional price.

E.g. you could inquire what possibilities are there available with them, in case you wanted to run a little server from home.

They may have an offer including a fixed public IP and of course open ports for incoming connections. If the offer is available and the price fits into your budget you may still be lucky, in the end.

• 3 weeks later...

If you forwarded your port manually, it is of no concern what the UPnP mapping message reads, since UPnP mapping is an alternative port mapping method, not a complementary one.

That is, you can either forward your port automatically through UPnP or manually.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just added a wireless router (netgear WGR614 v6) and as a result upnp has stopped working PROPERLY!

My router shows that my ports are forwarded (I know that they are forwarded by upnp only) but bitcomet shows that the listen ports are blocked (Actually they ARE blocked, i have tried many sites to check them).

UDP trackers and DHT have also stopped working (HTTP trackers are working nicely and my download speed is also NOT affected)

I use D-Link GLB-802c as my modem.

It is a router as well as a modem. (before netgear WGR614 v6 i used it as the modem as well as the router)

upnp NOW do not forward Ports on it. (before using netgear WGR614 v6 when i only used D-link GLB-802c then upnp forwarded ports on it)

I do not know that is this the problem or something else..

Please help

NOTE: It is surely not the problem of Firewall as I already have turned all the firewalls/anti-viruses of

UPnP does not usually set up any kind of network address translation on routers, since anything beyond what the router is already doing is not needed, most of the time. I would not expect to see anything on the NAT page being changed by it.

The router admin page you need to look at is "Port Forwarding/Port Triggering". If UPnP works properly, that is where you should see a new forwarding rule.

That said, UPnP is pretty notorious for being unreliable. If it does fail, there is nothing anyone can do about it -- it's burned into the router firmware. This is why we mostly like manual port-forwarding, and the control/confirmation it gives you about what's going on. That particularly helps when you do change routers and the new one doesn't work under UPnP. If you've learned to do it manually, you're not helpless.

I have already done manual port forwarding a couple of times but the problem is that when i restart my router the forwarded ports vanishes. I have a static ip for my pc

the connection for internet in my pc goes like this

ADSl wire-->D-Link GLB-802c--->netgear WGR614 v6(through Ethernet wire)---1) My PC (Ethernet wire)

2) Wireless connectivity

I need wireless connectivity so i can not disable netgear WGR614 v6 and a modem is also required hence i need D-Link GLB-802c also.

But I do not know that how can i configure D-Link GLB-802c so that it works only as a modem not as a router.

Actually i do not even know the difference between a modem and a router!

see if there is an option in the dlink to setup DMZ, this lets you direct all traffic to one device. The device you want it sent to is your second router. This will (in effect) disable your dlink router, making it only work as a modem.

ps. lookup the words "modem" and "router" on wikipedia.

Most routers have the option to save their current settings off to a file on the computer's disk drive somewhere. (Mine, curse it, is one of the few that doesn't.)

You should do that, and then reload those settings when you need to reset it. All of your forwarding should be restored when you do.

A modem is a MOdulator-DEModulator. It's original purpose was to convert digital signals -- 1's and 0's, into high and low tones over the telephone lines, which were designed to transmit analog, and not digital, signals. The earliest modems were very slow. They were uses for teletype transmissions, and used an acoustic "coupler", which was a box that you stuck a telephone handset into. You'll sometimes see these used in old movies. They were really slow, around 150 bits per second. They got better. Now you get digital signals from your provider, at millions of bits per second.

A router, on the other hand, routes. It directs traffic to where that traffic needs to go. With a router, two computers can share a modem. The router transmits both computers' traffic out to the interent, and directs the responses from the internet to whichever computer is expecting it.

I'm not sure how the dlink can be a router if it has only one ethernet port, and no wifi. If only one device can connect, there is nothing to route.

Bride mode is similar to DMZ, it sends all traffic to one specific device. The terminology varies between manufacturers.

Glad you got the problem solved.

That device is a router, not a modem. It must be connected to a modem. I recommend that you spend some time reading the device manuals, because they explain all of this. The "easy connect" guide shows you how the router needs to be connected to a modem and thence to the telephone line.

Typically, modems do not need to be UPnP devices, and usually can't be when insulated from the computer by a router, as yours is. The router can be set to use UPnP, as explained in section 3.3.7.6 of your manual. This does not mean that UPnP will work on your router, and DLink is notoriously unreliable. Your model is at its end-of-life, so you may not be able to obtain any support for it.

You have the option to backup and restore configurations on your admin menu.

That device is a router, not a modem. It must be connected to a modem. I recommend that you spend some time reading the device manuals, because they explain all of this. The "easy connect" guide shows you how the router needs to be connected to a modem and thence to the telephone line.

Typically, modems do not need to be UPnP devices, and usually can't be when insulated from the computer by a router, as yours is. The router can be set to use UPnP, as explained in section 3.3.7.6 of your manual. This does not mean that UPnP will work on your router, and DLink is notoriously unreliable. Your model is at its end-of-life, so you may not be able to obtain any support for it.

You have the option to backup and restore configurations on your admin menu.

Hey i got my problem solved but still i want to tell you that i read all the manuals carefully and

D-link GLB-802c is a ROUTER as well as a MODEM (It has 1 Ethernet and 1 USB port)

WGR614 v6 is ONLY a ROUTER

and this is what i said earlier

It doesn't say so. Well, that's DLink for you.

But in fact, you're right. it DOES include a DSL modem. However, the critical point is NOT the ethernet and usb ports, most routers have both of these. The critical part is the line-in jack, the RJ-11 jack for a telephone line. A modem will have one. A router will not, and uses one of the ethernet ports to connect to a modem that DOES have a line-in jack.

But it certain does allow you to back up the configuration to a file stored on the computer, and you can restore it from there as well. This will certainly simplify the task of restoring the settings whenever needed.

That was clearly stated in the manual.

Glad you got the problem solved.

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize in advance if I am not in the correct forum thread. I have recently fitted an xtremeit 10242 router to my system (cable broadband) which runs on Windows 7. As the "instructions" on this thread are about 5 years old, I am not sure if they are still "pukka". As soon as I connected the router, my listening port was blocked. Am I OK to follow the instructions earlier in this thread? Many thanks for any help you can give.

You are. The interface has not changed all that much, and the procedures/underlying protocols not at all, in that time. The basic problem and its solutions are still done in exactly the same way. This is the main reason why no one has felt that much incentive to revise the guide.