To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

[*] If you want to check whether your Port is open or not, head to: <a href='https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow'>https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2</a> <br />And click Proceed --> Type the Port you're using in BitComet, and click 'User Specified Custom Port Probe'. In the results, if it says that the port is Open, then you're all set!
<br /><br />what if it doesnt say Open? what should i do?<br />thanks a lot

========================================================

Since that service is mostly concerned with protection -- with being attacked through an open port -- its logic is inverted. That's true of most similar services, as can be seen from their names like "Shields UP!". For Peer-to-peer, you want your listen port OPEN, not closed.

Therefore, a better service is found at www.canyouseeme.org

Visit that site and tell it your listen port number. Any answer besides "I can see your service on port number ######" means that your listen port is being blocked by one or more firewalls.

(Multiple firewalls do not make you safer, they just give you configuration headaches. Whatever you do to one, you have to do to all the others too.) You must configure each firewall to open your listen port.

Do NOT turn all of your firewalls off. This is like taking your front door of the hinges because you're too lazy to figure out how the lock works. It will have similar results -- your TV and stereo will disappear. You MUST have one working firewall. Do not ever connect to the internet without it -- it takes more time to take a shower than it does for your computer to become infected and taken over due to lack of a firewall. Most infections these days try to keep you unaware that they've happened, so that they can keep on using your computer and your network connection without your knowledge.

If your positive you set up the port forwarding correctly in your router.

Then you need to check to see whether you have a software firewall, like the one built in to XP-SP2, blocking your communications. Your software firewall needs to have the port opened as well, or if your software firewall is application based then make sure that Bitcomet always has access for both outgoing and incoming connections (aka "server access"); and make sure Bitcomet is open when trying that grc port probe.

XP SP-2 only need BitComet added to the exception list and everything will be fine. Its a good firewall. :)

XP SP-1 also has a firewall that isn't so good. Its better then nothing but it can get in the way and cause lots of problems. If you have SP-1 upgrade to SP-2.

If you have problems installing SP-2 whatever your reason is read this post by me on another forum.

^^ Actually I'm using SP1 at the moment, since I've heard so many 'bad' things about SP2.

Though, just a note to everyone who does use bittorrent, you shouldn't rely on Windows Firewall itself...if you have a router and your router's firewall is enabled, then you're quite safe (since hardware firewalls are technically better than software firewalls). If you don't use a router when connecting to the internet, be sure to install a quality software-firewall, i.e. Sygate.

Sygate is a great firewall, but it was killed by Norton and will be reincarnated as Norton Personal Firewall 2008. Norton couldn't make a good firewall so they bought one & killed the free version. :angry:

Here is a good firewall with no known p2p conflicts,Kerio Personal Firewall. You get to try the pro version free for 30 days then it downgrades to the standard free version.

If you're willing to pay for a firewall McAfee is really good. Just set your p2p program for server acess and you're done. :) I haven't had a issue in 5 years, that wasn't my fault ;) .

Zonealram should not be used. It blocks a lot of legit users, it can't be disabled, and it modifies the TCP/IP stack without telling you.

Ironically the built in Windows XP SP2 firewall which always gets unfairly picked on has never had any remote exploits. Sure it doesn't provide any outbound packet filtering which is only relevant if your computer is already owned in which case any firewall could be disabled anyways, but at least it doesn't leave you wide open to a remote attacker.

The only real "problem" with XP-2 is the TCP/IP outbound incomplete connection limit of 10 connections per second, the rest are put into a que and handled very quickly. No connections of any kind are dropped. This limit of incomplete connects is set to 10 to help prevent little buggers like the blaster worm and other viruses. If you leave BitComet's setting at 8 you won't notice anything. At most it will slow you down by a second or two, but this isn't noticeable. Just to set DHT as a back-up tracker and the start up time at 0 minutes and you will be fine. Since DHT uses UDP that is not limited.

There is a patch to change the connection to 50, but it doesn't work for XP Media Center edition. This patch is not made or endoresed by microsoft and it's getting very out of date for legal users who keep MS updated like me.

Can I choose whatever Port I like? Or has it to be in a certain range?

I've chosen the port 9322.

And another question: What should I set my Preferences too?

Most of the people say 80%-90% of your max upload speed, but I don't even know what my max upload speed is...

EDIT: I've set my upload speed to 25 kb/s max, and I'm downloading a good seeded file at 20 kb/s and uploading at max (so 25 kb/s) Is this normal? That my upload speed is greater than my download speed?

EDIT2: Soraiya, you're doing a great job, I'm already looking forward to reading your new guide (about speed, right?)

Hi Nefarus,

Well, since I don't want to delve into too much explanation, it's better to input a random port around 40000+ [i'd suggest 50000+ ], as these ports are less used by users.

As for your second question, yes I will be creating a speed guide soon ^_^ Though yes generally 80% of your upload speed is good. You can test your max upload speed by either...deleting your Global Max Upload speed restriction [i.e. make it unlimited] Then, seed. Have a look at your upload speed - especially when it starts to stay constant around a certain kb/s.

Otherwise you can try out sites like:

http://www.wugnet.com/myspeed/speedtest.asp

Just be sure that you're not uploading or downloading while you're trying out the test.

Hmm, I've been messing around with ports 54321 and 51234, but when I do the grc test, it says they are closed, I've tried everything to re-open then but to no avail. Can anyone help me out with this one?

EDIT: nvm fixed, something with windows firewall...

I just reached a peak speed of 77 kb/s with a port between 5xxxx & 6xxxx.

Ah Okay...cool. If you're using Windows SP2 packs, you may need to add BitComet into the exception list.

As always, stick to that port range. Also, if your speed is acceptable with that port, avoid changing it.

bit dave i have the same internet and wirless stuff as you do, also Soraiya, the run" cmd thing doesnt show up a screen like yours.. Also i followed all yur dteps dave in your discussion and things still are goin as slow as can be.. and since i have a nice connection it shouldnt tbe so slow. Also since i cant see the cmd thing i can t tell if i have a static i.p so i dont know what to do and i have had problems like this only other games and programs, so anything that u could o to help me would be great. Thansk a lot

Hi steroids,

Hm, can you show me a screenshot of your CMD? Because the main thing is to just see the red-boxed area.

If typing ipconfig /all doesn't work. Try typing only

ipconfig

Does it show anything like IP address, DNS gateway, etc?

i did but the screen wil not stay open now idk wat to do/ also i belive i have a static ip now but i wasnt sure it has not changed at all in a day or 2 so idk. All i really need to do s up the speed but i dont know whats slowiing me down ive been to evry speed up site here that says it will speed it up and nothing/ I got the nat problem workin for now it just it is still so SLOW.

The major problem is actually windows based, all half-open ports are locked at a count of 10. so the max. number of connections you can have are 10, even if there are 300 seeders and 15000 leechers, so...... http://www.lvllord.de/?url=tools#4226patch/

...... gives a great little program that patches windows to change the limits, Mine are set to 5000 and download speeds easily get upto 350kbs, Ive had no probs with it, I only need to reinstall from time to time because of microsoft updates, Hope I Helped

You don't know what you're talking about. There is a ton of misinformation about that "limit" floating about the net.

That limit of 10 incomplete outbound TCP/IP connections per second. It is not a limit on ports, complete connections, nor does it drop or block connections. The connections past 10 are put into a queue or put on hold. Meaning when one connection is either completed or timed out it moves onto the next waiting connection. So once again I will say no connection is dropped, blocked, or lost. This limit only affects connecting to other clients, not the actual downloading of data from them. If you’re on a proper high speed connection you will not even notice this because it only slows you down by a matter of seconds when the .torret is started. Just leave BitComet's limit of 8 alone and you'll still be able to web surf while using BitComet, after all you want to leave your browser to slots to connect to web pages.

This was put in place to help prevent the spread of worms like Blaster and hinder a computer's use in performing DOS attacks.

This does not affect any type of DHT connection for any of the p2p programs that use DHT. Because DHT uses UDP for connecting, this is not limited in any way other than the speed of your connection. So just use DHT at start up and you’ll be fine.

And on top of all the people who do not know what they're talking about in regards to that "patch" it is very outdated so it screws up your internet connections. If you're using Media Center Edition it will kill your connection all together and you'll need to do a system restore to fix the damage.

• Like 1

No problem. I'm just tired of hearing people recommend this patch for all the wrong reasons when they don't even know what it does. I've been flamed for my above post by more people then I'm able to count, and usually it's net 13 year olds. Not fellow Network Admins.

I did a slight edit on the above post and coded the added parts in blue to make it easier if you already added this to the FAQ.

Cheers and thanks for the update! I've added your entire post into the FAQ.

Yes I quite agree, in fact we don't really promote users installing 3rd party software on their clients. It's weird though alot of people seem to have installed the so callled "BitComet accelerator" I seriously wonder if it works.

There are a couple of patches out there claming to be "accelerator patches for BitComet" and that is the problem. The LvlLord patch is the only one I know of that doesn't contain spyware/adaware. The other patches don't even do anything to help.

This "patch" was made for use with older p2p networks designs, like Fast Track, ed2k, & Gnutella where you search nodes, super nodes, and servers. Back then majorities of the users were still on dial-up, and bad dial-up at it. So all they understood was the word limit and this limit would slow them down so it had to go. So a few people with limited knowledge wrote various "patches" for this evil TCP/IP limit to either set it to a higher number or in one case remove it all together.

This patch is only capable of setting up more connections in the same amount of time as normal so it can appear to speed up downloads when its not actually helping the download its self. But it’s no longer needed with high speed connections and the new structure of p2p networks and features such as using DHT for starters. Programs like BitComet, µTorrent and many others have already adjusted their connection structure for it. Plus this patch is over a year old now; May 1st, 2005 was its last bug fix release. Just this last week Microsoft released a second TCPIP.SYS for XP since this patches last update, tons of stuff for Win2k3 and a different TCP/IP structure for XP Media Center Edition that the patch won’t work at all. Not to mention that Microsoft is well aware of the “patch” so windows update will remove it, this is a good thing.

Note: ed2k added DHT to their clients & network.

[*]Next, Head to http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm and locate your Router model + brand. Then, locate BitComet, and follow the instructions onscreen.

hi everybody, im new here. anyway i cant locate my router in this website. im using the router Dlink DWL G730. so erm can i still do this port forwarding thing? erm im not exactly a tech whiz so step by step help will be appreciated. thanks a lot! =) sorry if im posting this in the wrong topic.

Hi Soraiya, i have following all the directions in your guide and i got stuck on this part. after i choose my router- 2 wire 1701HG i made the changes in bitcomet. then it told me to type in my IP address of my router in the address bar. This is where i got stuck because when i typed in the IP address of my router and pressed enter, the page was not loading and then the blank page came up. and then in the next step the 2 wire configuration came up and that is what did not come up on my screen.

Thank You very much

You don't know what you're talking about. There is a ton of misinformation about that "limit" floating about the net.

That limit of 10 incomplete outbound TCP/IP connections per second. It is not a limit on ports, complete connections, nor does it drop or block connections. The connections past 10 are put into a queue or put on hold. Meaning when one connection is either completed or timed out it moves onto the next waiting connection. So once again I will say no connection is dropped, blocked, or lost. This limit only affects connecting to other clients, not the actual downloading of data from them. If you’re on a proper high speed connection you will not even notice this because it only slows you down by a matter of seconds when the .torret is started. Just leave BitComet's limit of 8 alone and you'll still be able to web surf while using BitComet, after all you want to leave your browser to slots to connect to web pages.

This was put in place to help prevent the spread of worms like Blaster and hinder a computer's use in performing DOS attacks.

This does not affect any type of DHT connection for any of the p2p programs that use DHT. Because DHT uses UDP for connecting, this is not limited in any way other than the speed of your connection. So just use DHT at start up and you’ll be fine.

And on top of all the people who do not know what they're talking about in regards to that "patch" it is very outdated so it screws up your internet connections. If you're using Media Center Edition it will kill your connection all together and you'll need to do a system restore to fix the damage.

Hi DARK SHROUD,

I'm running through some confusion. You say the patch TCPIP.SYS isn't kinda much helpful for downloading. But the thread posted by LANDLORD 1 seem to explain the patch is greatly helpful for downloading. So at last point, if you don't mind i would like to confirm by asking you - is it possible to boost my download speed by using the TCPIP.SYS and increasing TCP/IP CONNECTION LIMIT by 5000 ??!!

thanx,

edge

(posts merged)

Hi,

I am in confusion concerning about my TA-102 manufactured by TERAYON. What do you think about my TA-102 ........ is it a router or modem ?

Well ..... when i run IPCONFIG, I get this sort of msg:

"Connection-specific DNS Suffix :voip.hkcable.com.hk

IP Address ..............................:218.253.126.166

Subnet Mask ...........................:255.255.255.0

Default Gateway ......................:218.253.126.1"

Can you figure out my TA-102 (a router or modem) by simply following the above msg? Also can you please explain how to configre TA-102 whether it's a modem or router?

thanx,

dam

Edited by Dark_Shroud (see edit history)

Hi Soraiya, i have following all the directions in your guide and i got stuck on this part. after i choose my router- 2 wire 1701HG i made the changes in bitcomet. then it told me to type in my IP address of my router in the address bar. This is where i got stuck because when i typed in the IP address of my router and pressed enter, the page was not loading and then the blank page came up. and then in the next step the 2 wire configuration came up and that is what did not come up on my screen.

Thank You very much

Hi y0ume,

In that section where you input your IP address onto your web browser, input the address you saw on MS-DOS - DNS Server: xxx.xxx.x.1 [usually ends with a .1]. This should then load up your router configuration.

Hi DARK SHROUD,

I'm running through some confusion. You say the patch TCPIP.SYS isn't kinda much helpful for downloading. But the thread posted by LANDLORD 1 seem to explain the patch is greatly helpful for downloading. So at last point, if you don't mind i would like to confirm by asking you - is it possible to boost my download speed by using the TCPIP.SYS and increasing TCP/IP CONNECTION LIMIT by 5000 ??!!

thanx,

edge

Hi Edge, as for the lvllord patch (which increases your connection limit) will not be of any use, as most torrent clients now make use of the dht network in order to maximise the user's download speed. Additionally, that patch was like...last updated sometime around last year.

Hi,

I am in confusion concerning about my TA-102 manufactured by TERAYON. What do you think about my TA-102 ........ is it a router or modem ?

Well ..... when i run IPCONFIG, I get this sort of msg:

"Connection-specific DNS Suffix :voip.hkcable.com.hk

IP Address ..............................:218.253.126.166

Subnet Mask ...........................:255.255.255.0

Default Gateway ......................:218.253.126.1"

Can you figure out my TA-102 (a router or modem) by simply following the above msg? Also can you please explain how to configre TA-102 whether it's a modem or router?

thanx,

Yes, your modem is most likely also a router, because both your IP address (the final string of numbers) and Default Gateway (ends with .1) are both different. When you get to the PortForward step, you will input the Default Gateway IP onto your web browser.

Hi y0ume,

In that section where you input your IP address onto your web browser, input the address you saw on MS-DOS - DNS Server: xxx.xxx.x.1 [usually ends with a .1]. This should then load up your router configuration.

Thanks a lot soraiya :D . i had a quick question. will keeping one ip address have more chance of people hacking into my system?

Thank you