To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

[*]Next, Head to http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm and locate your Router model + brand. Then, locate BitComet, and follow the instructions onscreen.

[*]When you come to the step where it states "Please enter the static ip you want to forward to:" And it's 192.168.2.[space here] Input the last digit of your IP address into the space. The Static IP is the same IP as the one you saw in MS-DOS when you typed ipconfig /all

Once you've completed the steps at Portforward.com Your BitComet client should now be functioning at its maximum capability. Just a reminder, the port you configured with YOUR router, is the port that must be input into BitComet. [Options --> Preferences --> Choose Listening Port ]

Speed maximisation tipIf you wish to maximise the speed attained through BitComet, please use any single port between 49152 to 65535. Input the port number into BitComet's listening Port tab.

Further Information [For those of you who skipped my first step]:

The following are the IPs you will need to input into your web browser in order to access your Router Page within the PortForward Step.

[*] If you want to check whether your Port is open or not (in other words, checking if your portforward worked), head to: https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

And click Proceed --> Type the Port you're using in BitComet, and click 'User Specified Custom Port Probe'. In the results, if it says that the port is Open, then you're all set!

Your BitComet should now be functioning properly. Remember though, even if you're not a Router-user, you will need to specify the Ports you want your BitComet to use. Should your port state it's in stealth or CLOSED, then it's more than likely that during your Portforwarding Process something went wrong...or even, you may have accidentally forgotten to press update or enable. If you've checked your steps, and everything was okay, yet you're encountering this issue, please post your problem at Torrent Related Questions or BitComet Client Help.

Sorry I don't knowIf I should reply here or in the Bitcomet help section. I have a major problem everytimeI try to port foward :( I always followed the instructions very carefully and even the instructions listed for the Westell 6100. :angry:

when I type in my static Ip in my browser all I get is a "could not find server". When I type in my default gateway the page seems to work. And I typed in my pasword and sername to try and get in but it wont let me. Thsi sis frustrating me very much because my download speed is a measly 5KB/s while my upload speed is at 16KB/s!! My torrent is going to take like 8 hours to finish! :(

I read the list of routers that have problems with this prgram and Westell 6100 was listed there. Does that mean Im screwed and can't do anything to fix this? :unsure:

Someone please help me before I go crazy and kick my computer. <_<

Ive looked everywhere on this site and still found nothing about which ports need to be open for bit comet if running a router as I have a netger dg814 everything is fine but when i try to create a torrent and seed to people they just get connecting...... nothing actually downloads so im confused kind of, The random port in the prefrences is set and opend in the router and still nothing anyone got any ideas ?

As I have followed the simple steps about creating a torrent I doubt its the actual creation but in saying that I maybe wrong but any help would be very appreciated !

Three Questions:

First, I am presently using BitComet and another torrent client. I have successfully opened one port for each program by using this guide to set up a static IP and to configure my router. (See, these guides DO work!). My first question, though, is whether there is any benefit/detriment to having separate ports for the torrent clients. Can both clients be combined on the same port?

Second question, does setting a static IP address make my computer more vulnerable to hackers, even theoretically?

Third question, are there any other real or potential drawbacks to having a statis IPaddress?

Thanks very much in advance.

Three Questions:

First, I am presently using BitComet and another torrent client. I have successfully opened one port for each program by using this guide to set up a static IP and to configure my router. (See, these guides DO work!). My first question, though, is whether there is any benefit/detriment to having separate ports for the torrent clients. Can both clients be combined on the same port?

No. Whichever client you start first wil grab the port, and the other will whine that it can't listen on that port.

Second question, does setting a static IP address make my computer more vulnerable to hackers, even theoretically?

No. There's no effective difference at all. The static IP address applies only within your own subnet -- your side of the router. On the other side, to the internet at large, your IP is your router's address, obtained from your ISP via DHCP, which is exactly how it would appear if you had no router.

Third question, are there any other real or potential drawbacks to having a statis IPaddress?

No. It's possible to screw it up and create problems that way, but there's very little that can't be said of.

Ive looked everywhere on this site and still found nothing about which ports need to be open for bit comet if running a router as I have a netger dg814 everything is fine but when i try to create a torrent and seed to people they just get connecting...... nothing actually downloads so im confused kind of, The random port in the prefrences is set and opend in the router and still nothing anyone got any ideas ?

All ports are pretty much equal, and the only issue is to avoid ports that might be used for something else. For that reason, you should select one single port in the range of 49000 to 65535 (Flip darts, toss coins) and set it. Don't touch the "Random port" button thereafter. Set that port as forwarded through the firewall in your router.

As I have followed the simple steps about creating a torrent I doubt its the actual creation but in saying that I maybe wrong but any help would be very appreciated !

It's funny how many people do misuderstand the seeding process. Once you've created a torrent, it must be registered with a tracker. Trying to run your own tracker is a big deal, so use one of the many public or semipublic trackers out there instead. Upload your torrent to the tracker website, THEN start seeding. Others will d/l the torrent from that website, and start leeching. Give the tracker at least 15 minutes after you finish uploading, to take care of its business and get the torrent registered and tracking.

Once you do start trying to seed, check the tracker status report to see what's happening. This is where you'll be notified about problems with it.

when I type in my static Ip in my browser all I get is a "could not find server".

Unsurprising. Why are you even doing that?

Your router has a configurable IP address, which is the internal address for anything connected to its LAN ports, and only for that. It also has an external IP address, which is for the world at large through the internet. They are two, utterly different things.

That local IP address is the one you need, and your router's manual will tell you what it is. Type THAT into your browser, and you'll be connected to the router itself, through it's own little internal webserver, to its configuration controls. You have to log in to it to change anything. Your manual will tell you what the default login is. Use that.

Once you've logged in, first order of business is to change the login, because the whole world has access to that manual, and knows what the default login and password are. So just anyone could log in to it, change it, and lock you out of your own router. Cute, huh? So change the flippin' password to something only you know. DO that first.

Now that you've logged in and changed the password, look around at your local network setup. This is where you could change the internal lan IP address of the router, but don't. Just look at it. It will tell you your base LAN IP, and your netmask, which tells you what range of addresses the router will route.

Example (only):

Base IP: 192.168.2.1

Netmask:255.255.255.0

Range of addresses: 192.168.2.1 through 192.168.2.255

See how it works?

I read the list of routers that have problems with this prgram and Westell 6100 was listed there. Does that mean Im screwed and can't do anything to fix this?

Not necessarily. If you keep your connection limit under 200 you should be fine, and that's plenty for great speed.

I have one linksys wrt54gs router shared by 2 desktops and 1 laptop.

IF i need port forward on one desktop for BT, do i have to set the static ip for the other 2 computers as well? i will use all 3 computers for bitcomet eventually, but at this stage, i can't even have one computer being port opened, (i read that it is better to set both start and end port range the same, i tried 50000 and 60548, all stealthed)

Your router, your network, you can set it up anyway that pleases you and works. Some static, some dynamic, all static, all dynamic, it's up to you. One isn't "better" than the other, just different.

Let's say your router IP/Netmask tells you that you have 254 addresses available to you. By default, they're all in the DHCP pool. You can change the pool to just include the first two, and those will be used for friends who drop by and want to connect their laptops to your router. Or not, as it pleases you. Or they're for YOUR laptop, because you have to connect it to other DHCP networks elsewhere, and you don't want to be reconfiguring it all the time, so have decided to keep it dynamic and not to use it for BitComet.

All the rest of the addresses are now available, and the router will route them, but won't dynamically assign them. So set up the rest of your computers with addresses in that range, being very careful not to give any two the same address.

Now for each one that you want to use bittorrent on, set your listen port in your client, then open the port for that IP and that port, in your router's firewall.

Can it be the same port? Irrelevant. For almost all routers each port is opened only to a particular IP address. The combination is required and enforced. What's open for one IP doesn't affect the others.

This is the whole reason we're doing the static IP thing. If we used dynamic IP's, then the port would be open to whichever computer happened to be assigned that IP, whether it knew it or not. Bad juju. And because that address got assigned elsewhere, the BC computer would find its port blocked on the IP address it did happen to get.

As for which port, forget the range business. BitComet (or µtorrent or Azureus) only needs one listen port, so use only one. To avoid potential conflicts with other applications, choose one port in the range of 49000 to 65535 and stick with it. Don't open any others, that just makes you vulnerable to attack through those other ports.

I followed the instruction carefully. Static IP not in the range of DHCP. no hardware or software firewall. UPnP disabled. I called up ISP, they said they don't block my external IP.

What else can go wrong??

If you screw up your Static IP, can u still load webpages??? Anyway i don't believe that i made mistake on my IP

If you get the static IP wrong, it's usually because it's outside the address range that the router will route, so it will ignore you. You won't be able to reach the internet at all.

Or else it's because you used the same IP address for two devicess on your LAN, and unpredictable results are the order or the day. So don't do that.

Set up static ip address, tried to log on to router, both by typing default ip address in and using the hub manager icon that comes wit the package, nothing for either. When using hub manager icon, msg appears saying cannot log on to hub. This didnt happen before i cahnged to static IP.

Yep, that would happen. You need to log in to the router FIRST, to see what it's setup is, and what IP addresses it is set up to route. Then you need to choose an IP within its routable range as your static IP. You need to make sure that address isn't in the router's DHCP-asssignable pool of addresses by changing the pool range. See the previous reply or two for more on that.

This is what I see when I do ipconfig /all

IP Address 192.aaa.iii.120

Subnet Mask 255.hhh.bbb.0

Default Gateway 192.ccc.bbb.1

DHCP server 192.ccc.bbb.1

DNS servers 203.dd.eee.216

203.ff.ggg.3

203.ff.ggg.4

Does it prove that I have a router? I have a different Gateway and IP address. But Im not too sure if Im correct since I have a WiFi connection, and the antenna on our roof is connected directly to my computer. Please help me here, I really want to try the guide but Im already stuck in determining if I have a router.

No, it doesn't and wouldn't. All of that is merely evidence that a router might be present.

Your numbers indicate you are PROBABLY behind a router. Without the full IP addresses (the part you blocked out) I can't be sure, but it's a strong probability.

But then you said "WIFI antenna on our roof", which suggests you're connected via a LAN in the building, which in turn suggests you do not control the router you are behind. If that's so, you won't be able to log in to it (and would likely be evicted for hacking their router, if you tried), so won't be able to open a port on it. Sorry, but that's how it goes.

I know Im not maximizing my bitcomet, since when I just leave it alone I get only around 10Kbps, but If I try to download in the internet, I get a stable 40-50Kbps

Means nothing, really. The two are completely different beasts. Without a working listen port, you're definitely slower than you could be, but how fast that is depends on many other things, and download speed from the web is no indicator of it.

I know this is hardcore informatics and such, but I read the first portion of this and I configured my Westell 6100, and I went from 3 kB/s to about 11-12 after I did all that and restarted my connection.

Thanks, you guys know what your talking about (I don't). But your explanations and how-to's help us (maybe just me) understand in a very general, do-able way. Thanks for the effort to help out.

-Nelson

Speed maximisation tipIf you wish to maximise the speed attained through BitComet, please use any single port between 49152 to 65535. Input the port number into BitComet's listening Port tab.

Can you talk more about this... My install set the port random in the 21xxx - do I really need to change that?

EDIT: Please do not quote my entire post, only quote specific parts i.e. the Speed Maximisation part.

Edited by Soraiya (see edit history)

Ports seem really mysterious and arcane. THey are not. They are plain, simple, and just as dumb as you can possibly imagine.

A port is just a routing number. Honestly, that's all it is. Just a number, two bytes in size, and it's stuck into every packet. It's used to keep your email separate from your web surfing, and things like that. The packets come in, the Winsock looks at the routing number, err, port, and says, "packet for you, Mr. Firefox!".

If no application has registered the use of that port number with WinSock, then Winsock tosses the packet into the bit bucket. If two applications try to register the same port, then it depends on the particular Winsock implementation. Ideally, the second app will just be told "no". Then it will whine that it can't listen on that port.

No one port is any different or any "better" than any other, just as no routing number is somehow better than any other. But we do have conventions, or standards, about which numbers ought to be used for what services. For example, it's expected that web servers will listen on port 80.

Why 80? Why not? Some time ago, some people picked 80, and it's stuck. That's mostly how the internet works -- a couple of people decide something, and everyone else goes along.

Since the port is a two-byte number, the maximum possible number is 65535. Can't have a port number larger than that. It's enough.

The only thing that matters with choosing a port number is, are you gonna be getting other traffic coming in on that port, that's expecting something else? If the answer's yes, you should choose a different port. Something in the range of about 49000 to 65535 is suggested because there aren't any conventions about using those ports, so little likelihood of any conflict.

Do you need to change the port number? No, not really, but do understand that it's no big deal anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all i'm sorta out of my depth here i've followed the port forwarding walk though and thats all ok but i still can not connect. i've managed to work out thats its because my modem/router thing has upnp automatically enabled but i can not find out how to turn it off, i'm using a speedtouch 510 v6 any help would really be appreciated :)

thanks

ryu

Can you talk more about this... My install set the port random in the 21xxx - do I really need to change that?

EDIT: Please do not quote my entire post, only quote specific parts i.e. the Speed Maximisation part.

Well the thing is, only change your current listening port if and only if you feel that you're not attaining a 'normal' speed range. Once again this is hard to clarify, but if you're not getting measly speeds like below 10 Kilobytes/sec for a single downloading torrent, then BitComet should 'technically' be doing it's job efficiently.

I don't know how you ended up with that router, but it's definitely not a home use/casual user-configurable device, nor is it intended to be.

To configure it, you need a good understanding of network concepts, and you need to be comfortable with command line interfaces. If you're looking on Portforward.com, you probably have neither. You should have a network engineer configure it for you.

Kind of late for this in comparison to the other posts, but for those who experience the ipconfig /all window that pops open and closes immediately, try this, it worked for me...

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

type: cd c:\

type: ipconfig

find the settings you are after.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

As best I can tell, it's a simple modem and not a router. And apparently not supported any more, but that shouldn't matter. Since it doesn't have a firewall, it doesn't have anything to forward a port through, so this doesn't apply to you.

It seems like about a fourth of the SOHO routers out there call it a virtual server. So does mine. It's the same thing, performs the same function, but the International Obfuscation regulations forbid them all to ever be uniform.

Hi everybody. I am using D-Link DSL-504T Router. I tried to do portforwarding but my DSL-504T Router does not have such option in the "Advanced" Tab. Instead it is a Virtual Server. Please help.

Thank you.

Portforward.com will go over this step by step.

and Kluelos is correct, virtual server is the term that dlink uses

Suspect

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums but I was wondering if someone coudl help me.

Yesterday I followed the guide to setting up the static IP and portforwarding and for a while my speeds shot through the roof. Previously I was getting a sum total 10 - 20kbps for all my downloads. After completing the guide my total downloading speed shot up to 230kbps at the peak with some individual d/ls reaching 50kbps. Today, it has slowed right down again. I ran through the entire process again but it hasn't made a difference this time.

Any help would be much appreciated as now that I have tasted just how fast I can download it would be hard to go back to the previous speeds!

Cheers,

Pooks.

You're not always gonna get those crazy fast speeds.

The speeds you get really depends on the individual torrents that you download.

The total available upload bandwidth in the swarm is what determines your download speed.

This is all assuming that you're connected properly.

To see if your connected properly look in the Peers tab while downloading a torrent and make sure that there are "Remote" peers. If there are only "Local" or "NAT traversal" peers then your firewall or router is blocking you again.

Hello guys, I've already setup a static IP but when I test the port on the Shields UP site, they ALL come back as "stealth." I did try various ones starting with 57xxx and up but none of them came back open. I'm running XP SP2 and Bitcomet is an allowed site on the firewall and I'm at my wits end here, so your help is greatly appreciated!!

p.s. I don't know if it matters but I'm running Symantec Antivirus